Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 04-05-2012, 03:14 AM
Member Emeritus 1945 - 2014

GWIZ, .... I think that run with the aluminum windings was in the late 70's and maybe real early 80's, because I had a used 82 model SA200 and it had the copper windings. That was the first thing I checked out before laying my $1500 down.

greywyrd, ...... If I could pick it up, I'd be there in a minute. That kind of price for a SA200, even if it's not sparking, is a good deal. If there was really something major wrong with it and the repair cost was high, you could still make good money parting it out. There's guys out there that pay good money for SA200 parts, .... especially for the Continental motors.

Retired welder/fitter of UA local #290, Portland, Oregon

Miller Dialarc HF-P
Miller 251 wire feed/ with Alum. spool gun purchased from Wyoming (Roy)
Thermal Dynamics 52 Plasma
7" x 12" Horiz. Bandsaw
Weld Craft TIG Torches
JD2 Model 3 hydraulic Tubing bender with
quite a few expensive dies

One Big Ass Mistake America

Always remember ...... a government large enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take everything you have.

Last edited by Diverbill45; 04-05-2012 at 03:26 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:23 AM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

Its an old wrecked pos in the scrap heap, even if a guy could repair it or recover some parts, might be different if he was in the welder biz, had some expertise with these or his time was worth 50 cents an hour.

I sold one a while back,,, to a guy that was headed to pipeline, still got a 1982 also, should sell it too, never use the thing, got a couple other portables that are so much more practical. Would trade it for a newer TB if anyone has a real hardon for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	692.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	89429  
Old 04-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Elite Member

Sberry, I like that trailer as much as the welder, springs and shocks, I'm impressed.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:44 AM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floptop View Post
Sberry, I like that trailer as much as the welder, springs and shocks, I'm impressed.
+1 about that also.

That SA200 will be operating years after the other two portables are sent to scrap heap.

There is man about 8 miles north of me that has a 1980s smaller Miller portable. Its little gasoline engine is a real smoke maker, wore out. Engine overhaul estimated costs, assuming no crank and etc problems was nearly as much as a new Lincoln Ranger. He bought the Lincoln Ranger.

And he still uses his 1978 or 79 SA200 machine as well.

Barack Hussein Obama is our enemies favorite candidate

In time the right project will find the scrap pile, no need for the scrap pile to go out looking for a project.

http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24981

http://tosettherecordstraight.com/index.php

Last edited by Harvuskong; 04-05-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Something's Fishy ...

weling is a divided community there are those who make a living at it,those that need welders as support for the rest of there business and hobby welders.
The first group can not afford to hang there reputation on an old machine so they use new machines and put around 800 hours a year on the welder.
pipe line welders may put more on but they are the exception.
THe rest of the welders will not put 1000 hours on a motor driven welder in 10 years . To do that you need to put in about 1 hour welding with it twice a week that is a lot of welding for the average owner.

all the welders made today will run 3000 hrs or 30 + years for the average user.
Life expectancy is not a real issue here. Parts availability is another issue the newer welders are more complicated but the older welders are becoming rare and parts supply depends on knowing where a dead machine that can be bone picked is located.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Drivin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
I know these were pretty common, and popular welders for years. Happened to see one at the scrap yard when dropping off my scrap aluminum siding from my demo project.

The guys at the scrap yard were told it runs, but no sparkies. It's got the 4 cylinder continental flathead engine.

I can get it for 25 cents a pound, think it's worth a shot? Not sure what these weigh, I'm guessing 1000 pounds or so? Unfortunately no leads for it.
Mark, I had the use of an SA200 when I was still working.That machine was early '60's vintage, and had been retired from the construction crews, so my boss got it shipped out to his area (he was formerly one of the weldors that used it on the crews over the years).
When working well they can't be beat, but there are some drawbacks to them that I came across,especially when the maintenance on them hasn't been done for lack of funds.My boss was tight with his budget, and the machine really wasn't used enough to justify major expenditures any way.
The one I had leaked all over the place,for example from nearly every gasket on the flathead Continental engine. The oil bath air cleaner cup always ended up half oil and half water from precipitation, so there was a good chance that most of the air would be choked off by ice in the winter time. The exciter got stubborn and had to be pinned wide open for welding, or using a grinder etc.As others have said, they don't have true A.C. power on the outlet on the welder;it is pulsating D.C., and will fry any variable speed tools plugged in to it (don't ask how I found that out).
The late '70's machines with the aluminum windings are not well liked;one of our rig weldors bought one to replace his old one. He hated having to constantly adjust the output on the new one (arc was not stable at all), and ended up getting the old one refurbished,put back on his rig, and the aluminum one went out to his farm where it gathered dust.
I'm not saying don't buy that one you are looking at, just be critical when looking at it, and price it accordingly.I know that there are still outfits around that can supply parts for those old units, but pricing may make your hair curl.
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 04-05-2012, 07:14 PM
I can dig it

Well, I was able to pick it up for $250. Got it home tonight, checked the oil, antifreeze, and gas. Hooked up a pair of booster cables to the battery cables, and hit the starter button. Fired right up without even hitting the choke. Runs nice, doesn't miss a beat.

Seems the idle/high idle switch is working, there's some output on the 115 outlet (a grinder works, but not up to full speed) and there,s small sparks but no arc when I strike the welder output.

So it does need some work, but I didn't expect a fully functioning welder for that price either. I'll have to find my meter so I can start measuring and testing things.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:21 PM
That Man Behind The Curtain

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Well, I was able to pick it up for $250. Got it home tonight, checked the oil, antifreeze, and gas. Hooked up a pair of booster cables to the battery cables, and hit the starter button. Fired right up without even hitting the choke. Runs nice, doesn't miss a beat.

Seems the idle/high idle switch is working, there's some output on the 115 outlet (a grinder works, but not up to full speed) and there,s small sparks but no arc when I strike the welder output.

So it does need some work, but I didn't expect a fully functioning welder for that price either. I'll have to find my meter so I can start measuring and testing things.
Congratulations!!!

now all you have to do is figure out which version you have... then download the right manual.. From there you can start to troubleshoot... should be pretty simple to figure out... lets hope it is simple to fix... might just be brushes....

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..

The more you Know, The Better you Know, How little you Know (old Estonian saying)
Old 04-05-2012, 11:34 PM
The Enforcer

Hey, where are the pictures? ?

Got to have pictures now that you have it in your possesion.

Barack Hussein Obama is our enemies favorite candidate

In time the right project will find the scrap pile, no need for the scrap pile to go out looking for a project.

http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24981

http://tosettherecordstraight.com/index.php
Old 04-06-2012, 06:38 AM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvuskong View Post
Hey, where are the pictures? ?

Got to have pictures now that you have it in your possesion.
Yea yea....maybe tonight. Off to cut trees down at my mom's place today, have about 15 or so to take down, a couple 12-16" maples, the rest are all little (under 12" stump) cedars IIRC.