Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 04-13-2019, 09:24 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Number of years ago a friend with a trucking company was hauling load after load of 12” thick styrofoam. I asked what it was for and where it was headed. It was being placed under house foundations in a wet area near Ottawa. I always wished I knew where, so I could follow up and see what happened after some time.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
You otta see the size of the foam blocks that go into some bridge abutments and overpasses to save on concrete.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 04-13-2019, 09:29 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Actually it reminded me of your new house and it's pilings. Your method was much faster.
I thought that would have been a good use of screw piling. They had enough manpower to screw them in by hand, but with a hydraulic gearhead motor on that hoe, they could have really had something, even if they had to screw down to 50 ft in that mud.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 04-15-2019, 07:24 AM
Sultan of Scrounge

There is a man from Texas building a house with Styrofoam and concrete here in the county. It has four levels and will eventually look like a Castle. I've only seen it from the highway, it's about 1/2 mile south of Hwy 131 on the north side of the Clinch Mt. It looks huge. I talked to the delivery guy that trucks lumber to the build site. He said it already has 1000 yards of concrete in it and has two more floors to go. It has a full size basement theater and a 30 x 50 ft bunker off it with a huge metal door.

I'd love to have seen the foundation on it.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:02 AM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmike View Post
There is a man from Texas building a house with Styrofoam and concrete here in the county. It has four levels and will eventually look like a Castle. I've only seen it from the highway, it's about 1/2 mile south of Hwy 131 on the north side of the Clinch Mt. It looks huge. I talked to the delivery guy that trucks lumber to the build site. He said it already has 1000 yards of concrete in it and has two more floors to go. It has a full size basement theater and a 30 x 50 ft bunker off it with a huge metal door.

Sounds like ICF construction. Becoming somewhat common in parts of Canada for basements, and sometimes the entire house.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:52 PM
Sultan of Scrounge

Exactly
Old 04-21-2019, 04:22 PM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Sounds like ICF construction. Becoming somewhat common in parts of Canada for basements, and sometimes the entire house.

I built my basement using ICF. Basically a 6" re-enforced concrete wall covered by 2 1/2" of styrofoam on either side. Went together like giant Lego blocks.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:35 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmike View Post

My basement is also made from ICF. 8" of concrete in the forms makes for a solid wall.
A friend built his house using ICF. He calls it his bulletproof house. Just dont stand in front of a window...

Learning boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some have to pee on the electric fence. - Norm W.

Mathew 10:36
And a man's foes shall be they of his own household
-Ironman quoting the Bible
Old 04-30-2019, 12:03 PM
Elite Member

It looks to be a floating foundation being built in the video. The theory is if you remove X amount of weight in water/earth from an area, that area will now support the same weight of a building. I suppose they weigh each load of excavated soil/water then stop when they reach the design weight of the building. The building is then essentially floating.

For this I think a base of rigid design needs to be made to keep the building from twist or bend. It looks like they have that covered with the surrounding rebar and concrete.

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.