Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 10-19-2012, 09:43 AM

Default Does this lathe look worth $600 ?

I'm a complete novice when it comes to lathes but I've wanted to get one for a long time.

Today I saw one on craigslist, a 9" x 45" Atlas for $600.

While I research on the Internet what I should inspect when buying a used lathe, can anyone advise me on whether this lathe (assuming it's in decent condition) would be worth $600 ?

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/tls/3349657477.html

Or should I just avoid buying a used lathe altogether, because there's too much possibility for a newbie to get burned?

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:48 AM

Up here in northern Virginia that's a fine price. It has the change gears, looks to be well cared for and has a couple add ons. I shopped for a full year to get my south bend 9 with a quick change gear box and finally paid 600 without any rests or tool holder. But, she was a little used baby, she had her issues but nothing silly. I see this is down south so you'd have to go inspect and look for wear but up here I have seen that price before.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Voice of Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
I'm a complete novice when it comes to lathes but I've wanted to get one for a long time.

Today I saw one on craigslist, a 9" x 45" Atlas for $600.

While I research on the Internet what I should inspect when buying a used lathe, can anyone advise me on whether this lathe (assuming it's in decent condition) would be worth $600 ?

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/tls/3349657477.html

Or should I just avoid buying a used lathe altogether, because there's too much possibility for a newbie to get burned?

Thanks for any help.

A few points...that is the asking price so you can get it cheaper..Change gears are a pain in the ass..it is considered a very light duty lathe..

Here's the ball...catch..

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 10-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Looks like a great value, I do not see a 3 jaw scroll chuck so you might
wants to get one down road. Great starter lathe.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 10-19-2012, 10:54 AM

I will second that the change gears are frustrating. What you don't realize, as you say to yourself that they are no big deal, is that you will need various speeds all of which require a gear change. Same with threading. So, if you can, look for a quick change box on a lathe. But if you can get this guy down on the price and are trying to learn the change gears may work out for a while.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Curmudgeon

I agree that the old lathe lacks a lot, and I can speak with some experience about lathes that lackalot.
However, it should be a good learning experience/stepping stone for someone like me just wanting to learn a little bit.
Change gears are indeed tedious but they do have a way of teaching you what's in the gearbox and why you want one.

warning: you're going to be spending more than the cost of this lathe for tooling and accessories but that's normal.

I attached a couple of pictures for when the ad expires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3Ef3Gc3F55Nf5M55Jacajf49b3560211b160b.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	96757   Click image for larger version

Name:	3E53K73M65Gf5Z45Jdcajb0734dabc1361cf4.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	96758  

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 10-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Voice of Experience

I always discourage newbies from buying a change gear lathe..Get one with a gear box..you don't get extra points for dicking with change gears..In fact you will dislike the task so much you will leave it in one feed and speed for everything, which will result in piss poor work..

When I first got an Atlas with change gears I couldn't wait to dump it on someone else..

If you get the lathe, print out this post and tape it to the headstock...

My job is done here...adios.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 10-19-2012, 02:57 PM

Thanks, fellas. I think I'll hold off. I don't want to have to buy twice (or thrice, or...)

I appreciate your advice.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:54 PM

I'm going to guess that if there isn't much tooling, it wasn't used much. Ask what's in the drawers. You can look a long time for a great deal or exactly what you want. In the meantime, you can learn with this lathe. They don't lose value. If it's easy to get, I'd try. 600 seems like a middle-of-the-road asking price.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:53 PM

I look at it differently. If you wait for the perfect lathe, you may never get one. The Atlas appears to be a good value, especially if those drawers are full of tooling. Buy the lathe, use it for a while and when you are ready for a better lathe, sell it. You will probably make money on the deal and score some free tooling. By using the Atlas you will get a better idea of what you are really going to do with the lathe, the size you need, the features etc. Or if you are really going to use machine tools.

My first lathe was a Southbend 9A. I got a good deal at the time. It had a ton of tooling, most of which I still own. I quickly found that the SB9 was way too wimpy for my needs, but I used it for 5 years, made a lot of stuff on it and learned quite a bit from using it. When the time came, I bought a 13" TurnPro and it has served my needs perfectly. I then sold some of the tooling for what I paid for the lathe and then sold the SB9 for almost twice the original price. Long story short, the original purchase just about paid for my TurnPro.

Good luck
Randy

Last edited by Randyjaco; 10-19-2012 at 07:44 PM.