Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-28-2018, 01:13 AM
Lord of the Minions

Default Bench Top Cold Cut Cut Off Saws

The Nephew was talking this weekend of buying another piece of equipment as in a Cold Cut Saw.

Said he's looked at larger shop sized saws with their own cabinets and bling for setting up cuts etc.

He asked specifically about bench type saws being somewhat portable, but still using it solid fixed to a workbench.

I've looked at Dewalts at a little under $500, but am wondering what other brands you guys might be using that might come in under that pricing.

Knowing his needs and time he gets to spend in a shop setting, he probably won't do more than a total cut time per month of an hour or so.

Ideas would be appreciated on the saw brands being used.

Ideas on blade manf brands and teeth count etc.

TIA

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 03-28-2018, 06:31 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

mmmmmmm cold cuts....Ham, salami, bacon.....

Seriously, when you say "with their own cabinet" do you mean a true "Cold Saw" ?

As in Bewo, Scotchman and the like, worm driven ?

And portable type, porter cable and the like, meaning a faster RPM type "Dry cut" ?
Old 03-28-2018, 10:24 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Ideas would be appreciated on the saw brands being used.

Ideas on blade manf brands and teeth count etc.
TIA
I have one, Chinese, of course. My criteria was cast base, serious amperage(14.5) and a speed vise. I could not find this for under 400, Which I got with some arm wrestling.... and it is now priced at 500.
RPM should be at or under 1400 rpm.

Blades are important. I have tried many types. I am happy with the Tenryu 14" at 67 teeth, and the Metal Devil at 72. The Tenryu is faster cutting by far, and both of them are "repairable". If I loose a tooth, they put one in for $2.50 and I get a few resharpenings off these blades.
DO NOT continue to use them after blowing off a tooth, or you damage the base of the tooth and too much of that, and they won't tig it back into shape.

How do you lose a tooth? by playing portable with it. If the ends of a stick are not supported and it can move or pinch the blade it will crush a tooth.
If both sides are supported, as in not portable, it works well.

Also these saws cut like butter, but cutting scrap that is unknownium, a wear hardened or case hardened piece of steel sounds taps for your blade.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 03-28-2018, 02:20 PM
Lord of the Minions

I tend to gravitate towards the yellow end of electric tools with only this year getting past the killer bee syndrome and going with Milhaulkee.

I've got a discount coming for tools at HD of 20% should I go with this one.

I'm seeing a few different sizes in the blades and cut, but as all things I'm sure the 14" will end up being the most found and will be supported by blade manf's for years to come.

I've done a bit of blade carbide replacement in the past and do have a bit of necessary support machinery to place, align and install as well as regrind a smidge.

Gerry, I have the drill down pat when it comes to carbide tipped blades as these are what I use on my table and radial arm saws for wood and a few other materials but not metals of any kind. The blades I use for wood are pricey and not found at the box stores so I do have a source, none of which are cheap.

After mentioning the aspect of this type of saw needing a somewhat dedicated place and supporting structure for material on either side of the saw, the Nephew decided if allowed, we'll be adding a bit of space on to the machine room to allow 20' on either side of the saw for such.

Sez he'd rather have the excuse to use it at the Farm over having it used by his buds unable to turn them down.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 03-28-2018, 02:25 PM
The Real Deal

That is the one I have, it works fine but the table is a bit on the flimsy side, I haven't used it in years, I always go the the horizontal band saw.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:36 PM
Lord of the Minions

I certainly would not expect nor want this to replace my metal cutting bandsaws with the Nephew knowing when one is more productive than the other and nicer when it comes to cleanups after the cuts are done.

Digr, since I've looked a few hours on this subject in the past, I've seen some really nice support work/upgrades done on just that point of these saws. There are a few vids out there that show the making of sturdier bases to support them. Of course, I am always in need of a new project after buying a new piece of equipment.

I could always paint it red.

As all of this stuff will end up being the Nephews treasure trove or pain in the ass to deal with eventually, I'll probably buy the thing and give it to him as done with what he already has. He has a wife you know and I do not. lol

Old 03-28-2018, 10:43 PM
Lord of the Minions

Reading through a few more responses to 'users' reviews and I use that term 'Users' lightly, it seems that most all negative reviews for each one available that runs somewhat below $500 suffer more from using the wrong blade for the wrong material.

Somehow you get the feeling that for some, spending a thou would have made no difference in their 'user' experience. sigh................

I see that this Dewalt comes with a stamped steel footprint for the base and a rather dinky fence and vice setup which from the pictures I can see that this may be something that will have to be dealt with sooner or later. Probably sooner than later.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:03 AM
Elite Member

I just used one of those DEWALTs a couple of weeks ago. I just had to cut several pieces of steel in half for hauling . It was ok I guess. It was quicker than dealing with shops Ellis band saw. But, where they had it set up, still left room for improvement. Having supports on both sides are nice, and needed for quick accurate cuts. The base was bolted down to the stand I think, so I didn’t notice any problem with the base. The quick adjust feature of the vise was nice. It cut pretty straight I think. I wasn’t concerned about the cut quality, just trying to get the pieces shorter to haul. It was a lot faster than my little 4x6 bandsaw, but then again, I was using a questionable blade on band saw.

I am still missing the big bandsaw at previous employer. 1 1/4”x 15’6” blades with hydraulic vice and head, made quick work of most any cuts.

It did take me a couple minutes to get used the blade speed of the DEWALT. It was a lot faster than the cold saw I have used in the past. Just running a blade that fast in steel seems scary, definitely want the work clamped.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 03-29-2018, 06:34 AM
Lord of the Minions

I'm now less likely to buy a fixed saw with a movable adjustable vice for angle cuts.

If this thing is to stay at the Farm shop like the Nephew wants, it will have to have the movable swivel feature for the saw itself and not the vice.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:38 AM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

I am still using my DW dry saw...same one I got in 04 was it? Sucker does fine. Getting best results from Evolution and Metal Devil blades. Think it has an Evo on it now.

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)