Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-01-2018, 07:50 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Default Miller Big 40 No Weld...

So An old friend brought me this Miller big 40.

I know for a fact this machine sat in his barn for the last 17 years and has not once fired it up or used it in that 17 years.... most of the damage on it was due to he is clumsy and the barn is not weather proof where he had it.

he bought this machine new back in 1972 so yeah it kind of old and sort of beat up and no telling how many hours are on it..... SO i got it running for him and surprisingly the thing runs very good as for the engine....

So he hauled it to east Tx. to do some welding repair stuff he needed done welded for about an hour or so and it quit welding....

he took it to two different places and they said that it could not be fixed this that and the other the machine was too old one guy said miller told him the parts are all obsolete and was not worth trying to fix....

So he called me and asked what I thought and i said well i cant tell you anything until i check it out for my self and can let you know what it is but first i asked if it still produce generator power will it run a grinder still...
he checked and said yes so i told him if it produces genny power i cant see a whole lot being wrong with it could be brushes stator or a few other things
but i could not promise i can fix it if parts are obsolete.......

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180301_173405.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	143757Click image for larger version

Name:	20180301_173414.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	143758

so at any rate I cheeked it found the problem then called a few suppliers
was told the same obsolete BS! as these big 40's are still in use among us today
So I called around and around and found a supplier who said DO WA...ttt
the lady said well yes some parts are obsolete but there are still available parts for that machine that commonly do go out but not obsolete
told her what i needed and she said oh yeah we have 50 in stock
so that issue is solved....

call my old friend up and tell him the good news and not to worry ill have him going again in a few days once the parts get here

well then he said I don't know if i should mess with it cause cant buy a lot of parts any more for it..... i said that's just what they wanted you to think and then take it off your hands for lower than dirt cheap or free..........
so he says go ahead and fix it so i order the part no big deal or super large sum of money for it......

then the next day he calls back and says don't bother I'm just gonna buy me a new welder one of those bobcats I said ok he asked what he owed me I said nothing just come get it i can return the part i think no worries....
hang up end of story rite....No

five hours later he calls back said he bought a miller bobcat 225

But don't cancel the part you already ordered it.....Ill pay for it..... but i don't want the welder back you can have it.....I said why you want me to keep it..... it can be fixed no problem.....
he said well all those times you helped me out and asked nothing in return.... that was sort of a shocker...

plus he has an old engine driven welder made by GE he want me to go haul off it runs and produces power looks something like a big 40 but is much bigger and has a few broken mounting brackets that hold the engine to the generator which i might be able to fix as well

So some how I inherited two engine driven welding machines for nothing.

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-01-2018, 08:01 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

There is a welder repair place online from "Cleveland Texas" that advertises that they repair and sell parts for most any old welder.
I noticed some repair parts were aftermarket, as the OEM stopped supporting them.

Would that be the place you used ?
Old 03-01-2018, 08:20 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
There is a welder repair place online from "Cleveland Texas" that advertises that they repair and sell parts for most any old welder.
I noticed some repair parts were aftermarket, as the OEM stopped supporting them.

Would that be the place you used ?
No I used miller4less.com....... I'm pretty sure these are aftermarket replacements parts

According to miller the only two they had left of OEM were about a hundred bucks more for the parts and were not going to get any more.

although it will be good to go with a aftermarket part I do use them a lot on Lincoln machines SA 200 and 250's as people want to save money most of the time although sometimes it don't save a headache with some things its just best to go OEM but what ever makes em happy ya know.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:23 PM
Something's Fishy ...

There are probably 50 of them in the valley. so far I have not found one that was not repairable unless the engine had crapped due to cold and no antifreeze
Old 03-01-2018, 09:58 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
There are probably 50 of them in the valley. so far I have not found one that was not repairable unless the engine had crapped due to cold and no antifreeze
Oh no doubt its repairable but he decided to buy a new one and just gave it to me for nothing plus a larger one made by GE which is one i have not messed with before an infact the first one i've seen made by General Electric
But miller an lincoln i've repaired a few.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:19 PM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

Have you tried Greer Services in Shertz yet? Steve used to have several bits of those machines laying around. He knows his way around those machines for sure.

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)
Old 03-02-2018, 01:45 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDA52 View Post
Have you tried Greer Services in Shertz yet? Steve used to have several bits of those machines laying around. He knows his way around those machines for sure.
No I didn't nee to.... I had the issue solved and part ordered and at a price I can't beat...

My point was my old friend decided not to fix it and bought another machine even though he knew I had already tested every thing and found the problem and located the part....as where he was having so much smoke blown up his ass in another part of TX. about how it couldn't be fixed by other welder repair services and if I would of had a issue I could not figure out.......

I would of sent him to Greer.....
I don't know Steve personally but hear very good things about him...

Old 03-02-2018, 03:21 AM
Blast this!

Other than karma for being a good guy you come real close to sucking but we need pictures first .
Old 03-02-2018, 08:39 AM
Post Fiend

Pics, story and price. Yup, you suck!
Old 03-02-2018, 10:27 AM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
No I didn't nee to.... I had the issue solved and part ordered and at a price I can't beat...

My point was my old friend decided not to fix it and bought another machine even though he knew I had already tested every thing and found the problem and located the part....as where he was having so much smoke blown up his ass in another part of TX. about how it couldn't be fixed by other welder repair services and if I would of had a issue I could not figure out.......

I would of sent him to Greer.....
I don't know Steve personally but hear very good things about him...
Steve is good people and has/had quite a pile of parts. I haven't been there in a while. Doubt the shop has been cleaned yet.

While I can't say enough good about Greer Svcs, I also can't say enough bad about Welding Torch and Machine Repair off Bandera in SA. Haven't darkened their door in a very long time. They have and can get parts, but with a 100% markup minimum, whats the point?

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)