Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 04-25-2017, 06:05 PM
That HURT!

Default Truck frame splice

So Trevor has gathered a bunch of parts for his truck project and before he starts mocking everything up, we think the first order of business is to get the wheel base set.

He is looking at taking somewhere between 12" and 18" out of the frame.

So here's my question: What kind of cut do we need to do on the frame rails? Do we need to a diagonal cut with radius's on each end to prevent stress risers? What about fish plates on the splices? Do they need to be diamond shaped to prevent vertical welds on the frame rails to prevent cracking?

I have no clue about this stuff as it is uncharted territory for me.

I ask that all the knowing shed some light.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:14 PM
Standard of Excellence

What kind of truck?

My chebbys have a splice in them from the factory. Easy to undo it, chop out what you need, then re splice in the same spot. I think they do it this way to account for long bed vs short bed, crew cab, etc.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:19 PM
That HURT!

This '86 fire truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4511.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	139090  
Old 04-25-2017, 06:22 PM
Auction Addict

I used to shorten and lengthen truck frames many years back and always made a straight vertical cut. Always used a diamond splice plate same thickness and the frame web.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 04-25-2017, 06:34 PM

More details of the project might help... Why the shortening?
Old 04-25-2017, 07:09 PM
The Real Deal

A lot of people do a step cut or a angle but I always cut a 90 degree angle. First I would put punch marks on each side where you want the cut, then if you were to take out 18 inches I would measure 10" in front and in back of those punch marks and put two new punch marks on each frame member. You would do this so that after you make your cuts you can keep 2" plus what you leave for a gap between your marks when you start tacking it up. (The cuts don't have to be directly across from each other as long as you take out 18" from each side). I then bevel the ends at a 45 degree angle leaving about 1/16" land. I bevel the legs from the top so there is no over head welding. I then leave from 3/16" to 1/4" gap and use copper backup and do a 100 percent weld doing all the flats first. Don't do all the welding on one side move from side to side. Then I make a fish plate for the inside leaving enough room to get a weld on the top and bottom and all the way around. Use lots of clamps and supports IMO
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fish.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	139091  
Old 04-25-2017, 07:20 PM
Auction Addict

Similar to what digr said except I did all the beveling on the inside, then ground back into the inside weld and ran a fairly flat outside pass. Always did the top and bottom flanges first. Back then I was so much more limber than I am today so overhead then was easy.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 04-25-2017, 07:48 PM
That HURT!

The goal here is to shorten the wheel base for various reasons.

I guess I'm having a hard time describing what I'm thinking here so take a look at my sketch and direct me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Frame splice.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	139092  
Old 04-25-2017, 07:57 PM
The Real Deal

I would just cut the frame at a 90 and forget the fancy cutting. Its a waste of time IMHO There probably not enough room to make a cut like that anyway. Your a welder you know that frame isn't gonna bust after your done.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:08 PM
Boiler God

When I worked at the fire truck factory, we shortened and lengthened truck frames all the time. We always cut the frame at a 45 degrees, with the angle going from the top of the frame, angling down toward the front of the truck. That what Ford commercial tech showed us to do. No sure if it makes a difference.