Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 05-22-2019, 04:00 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Ya know Red I've been watching this from the beginning and been thinking better you than me... with all things considered in the way of time and stress I deal with... I don't mind wrenching on someone else's stuff but don't enjoy it that much anymore either... but I like a worthy build thread.

But in one way your thread seems to be making me want to build a new toy as well but I don't find the drive to want to race anymore. not even street racing.

But I have had my eye on this Camaro for awhile offered to buy it at one time and yesterday I was offered that toy... And That made my mouth water a little bit.

No title but shoot an RS SS Camaro already modded out for strip but can easily be streeted... has an LS BB and a lot of goodies... and the price is way right...

other than a titling issue but I'm sure that can be worked out with all the right paperwork and footwork to get one...

But then again I have a major fear of being trapped in a box with four wheels but haven't a lick of dam sense on two wheels So I'm told...

So actually my question is, Is it worth doing a build I would have no intentions in racing other than more for once in a while drive to the gas station just to fill it for the drive home and back to the gas station...
For a project that will end up being more eye candy yard ornament here.

I mean it is an RS SS Camaro
So the more I watch your build thread the more I want to buy this Camaro

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 05-22-2019, 08:13 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post
Finally, some pictures.
Hey RED,i'm trying to sort out that front suspension.
Is that a home made strut spring system?
The A arms are not in question,but the struts are kinda hard to see,and they are really tall.
Repurposed car struts?
Old 05-22-2019, 08:50 AM
Director of Languages

yeah now that you say it they do look odd, very long springs.

It is it a kinda pre-runner style front end to absorb the big shocks coming down from a wheelie
Old 05-22-2019, 08:55 AM
Da Chief

Well, I'm gonna give ya a few paragraphs on my perspective.

I've had a competitive drive since my three cornered pants days, I've owned and driven everything from shifter carts to top alcohol dragsters. I feel really safe, secure and nurtured when strapped to a rolling bomb with a couple of thousand horsepower on tap.

When a wife and 2 kids permitted, (did I mention 3 jobs at a time, most of my working life?) I built fast street cars, street rods and race cars, just barely legal on the street. (I wanted to play more than one day a week)

I was enamored of loud, rough idling, slick looking, dog scaring, window rattling, negative attention getting, "hey, look at this" type basic transportation.

As I aged out of what my Mom called my "pre citizen days" I discovered things like other peoples feelings, self discipline and family responsibilities. This knowledge put a kink in my lifestyle. I continued to play with cars when I figured out how to get paid to do it.

I went for a long time, without a real street rod, content to play with other peoples toys, Just as I was doing what I really wanted to do, some health issues took a bunch of the fun out of life.

I still had the addiction to speed, noise and competition. I built and sold a couple of street rods, a very fast street legal dune buggy and a mud truck.

Another medical event took away even more fun, when I got back on my feet, I started looking for another project.

The Pinto is just another way to deny the fact that I'm getting near the end of my road.

As far as your Camaro addiction. Jump in with both feet. Think of it as an age defying burst of interest. My mantra is now "if it turns dollars into smoke and noise, I'm there" (My kids have earned their place, they don't need my money, so, I'm gonna spend it all, and a bit more, on fun for me and SWMBO.)

I think you will find that there is no substitute for the feeling you get, on those days when you awake to "everything that still works, hurts".

When you belt in to a fast, perfectly tuned, street legal door slammer, and blast over to the Dunkin' donuts parking lot and show off a little. Or throw a couple of big bore rifles in the truck and spend a couple of hours annoying everybody at the range. (Ya gotta do that every few days, or the battery runs down and they die)

That my friend, is my definition of how an old fart does the golden years.

Anyone who says money can't buy happiness never bought 5 gallons of race fuel or an 8 pound keg of gunpowder, I just use it slower than I used to.

Give the "little friend" a new home, clean jammies and a tank full of Cam 2 pusholine, you'll both be better for it.

That's all I got.

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 05-22-2019, 09:16 AM
Da Chief

Randy and John,
Near as I can tell the front end is a Fatman fabricators or Mark Williams Ent. mustang II weld in, cross member kit, or a close copy. MW sells a setup using mustang style struts/spindles and fabricated lower control arms on their "Prostock" frame kit. This ain't that.

This setup looks like a strut setup with both upper and lower control arms in play. Depending on the engine mounting position, I may place a tie bar between those strut bars, (bolt in, like the Mustang strut/shock tower bar) if it needs one.

The "A" arms have been trimmed to clear those big coil over shocks. It sits all up, nose high, without engine, I won't know about the adjustment or travel 'till I get the power plant in place. AFAIK the car was last set up for a small block, so it should be pretty close with the caddy/TH-400. Might have to "plate" both control arms, like the low riders do, if they flex on the "bounce". Lift should be pretty well controlled with the wheelie bars, but it's a delicate balance between bite and torque...I don't want to have to put a 'window" in the floorboards to steer by.

RED

Last edited by RED caddy; 05-22-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:00 PM
The Enforcer

Well, well, it seems that the AHRA, (American Hot Rod Association), seems to have come back from the dead so to speak. Starting on the small side but it is a start. They do have a Facebook Page.

Link to their website: https://ahraonline.com/

And I have uploaded the Membership Application, Competition License Application, and the 2019 racing schedule.

One track in Sikeston MO.

One track in Humboldt IA.

Think that you might be able to get a AHRA Competition License??
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Updated-2019-Schedule.pdf (321.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: pdf Competition-License-Application-2017.pdf (321.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: pdf 2017-Membership-Application.pdf (204.2 KB, 2 views)

Barack Hussein Obama is our enemies favorite candidate

In time the right project will find the scrap pile, no need for the scrap pile to go out looking for a project.

http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24981

http://tosettherecordstraight.com/index.php
Old 05-26-2019, 09:59 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

I still have a 200mph car sitting in my trailer,i will never race it again,hell,i may never take it out of the trailer again.
I was thinking about putting it up on a big pipe in the side yard,just for fun.
I'm content these days to know i did all that haulass stuff,riding around the country eating BBQ and seeing the sights has become my sport of choice.
Being a horse trader is till fun,and i have been buying real estate down near Mexico Beach in the hurricane area.
I like the property development business and Carol and i have built 9 RV sites down there,all with water views.
I'm done with the fast car stuff,i don't even watch that on TV these days.
It was fun,i learned a lot,i had a big time,but i'm all in.
I will sneak down to Fl one of these days and check you out,i hate to go south of Ocala...
Old 05-27-2019, 08:43 AM
Da Chief

ya Randy,

I'm pretty much in the same place, I'd have to lie on the medical form to get a license and depending on who is judging the cockpit competency test, (how much they enjoy watching an old man flop and twitch) I think I'm done going really fast.

As I said to metalwolf, A carefully operated, fast, street rod will have to do until I hang up my spurs. As long as my heart pumps and enough peripheral support systems work to let me get in and out, I'm gonna try to get an adrenalin shot as often as I can.

I missed my skydive this past January first, (Jump buddy was in Africa) but I wont miss another one, until I just can't do it anymore.

It's a sad fact of life that we all ain't what we used to be. The good news is I didn't leave much fun on the table. I was as good as my memories, (better in some cases) so, I'm just gonna quit whining and got on with it.

Your business ventures sound like fun, but I still miss the speed rush.

Sounds like we need a Good ol' boy's GTG, I could use the help on one trick pony...

RED

Old 05-27-2019, 11:44 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post
ya Randy,

I'm pretty much in the same place, I'd have to lie on the medical form to get a license and depending on who is judging the cockpit competency test, (how much they enjoy watching an old man flop and twitch) I think I'm done going really fast.

As I said to metalwolf, A carefully operated, fast, street rod will have to do until I hang up my spurs. As long as my heart pumps and enough peripheral support systems work to let me get in and out, I'm gonna try to get an adrenalin shot as often as I can.

I missed my skydive this past January first, (Jump buddy was in Africa) but I wont miss another one, until I just can't do it anymore.

It's a sad fact of life that we all ain't what we used to be. The good news is I didn't leave much fun on the table. I was as good as my memories, (better in some cases) so, I'm just gonna quit whining and got on with it.

Your business ventures sound like fun, but I still miss the speed rush.

Sounds like we need a Good ol' boy's GTG, I could use the help on one trick pony...

RED
I'd love to come hang out for a few days,i just need a big spot to park m house when i get there.
And i'm not coming till fall,or winter.
I'm outa here for the summer.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:23 PM
Da Chief

Tru dat, Me too if I could manage it. (the tow rig is ready, still fixin' the little house.)

RED