Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 06-15-2004, 01:35 AM
f350ca

Hi
Built one years ago using threated rod for the arm, was very accurate and easy to adjust, but a pain to change. Threading the point down the arm is too slow for me. The one I've been using now just clamps with a thumb screw. Not as easy to change just a bit but a lot faster to set.
Have never used a suction cup or magnet. Would think the diameter of the magnet or cup would stop you from making small dia holes or radius. Just have a point and center punch where I want the hole. Occationally the pount slips out but once you get used to keeping a bit of pressure on the point it never comes out.
Make the length of the point adjustable to get the torch square to the material or your holes will come out chamfered.
Have to build a new one myself.
My old miller Pro-cut 60 died. The board to fix it is $1060 Cdn. Couldn't justify the cost on a 10 year old machine. Just bought a Thermodynamics unit. It weighs a 1/4 of the Lincoln and is 1/4 the size but beter than twice the capacity and speed. Anyway the head is different so need to build a new torch for it to.
Greg
Old 06-15-2004, 05:33 AM

Thx all for the post. Slimjim and Mac there are alot of things I dont like about the miller, many things I would change espcialy the suction cups. I got my new welding truck at work yesterday so I will be spending the next few days converting my welding bed from the old truck to the new one.
After that I will get focust back on this project.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:25 PM
Founder: Machining Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by f350ca
Hi
Would think the diameter of the magnet or cup would stop you from making small dia holes or radius. Greg
It does. But they do provide another single post to pivot on for small circles and you can tilt the tires another way to make it cut. I just got it yesterday and I have not had a chance to try it yet.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:32 PM

slimjim, are those suction cups on the bottom ?
Old 06-15-2004, 04:19 PM
Founder: Machining Forum

Yes morpheus. It was actually two seperate items I ordered that you are looking at. The thing with the suction cups came seperate.