Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 07-25-2021, 09:18 PM

Default Little machine shop

Alright boys and girls this is my first post on this forum and I have a couple of questions. The first is about the company The Little Machine Shop and their reputation. The second is about a couple of their machines, either the 3990 Hitourque mini mill or their 4990 Hitorque mini Mill deluxe. I'm looking for a good bench top mini mill for light gun smithing work like either site dovetail cutting and the like so I need some thing that will work on smaller project but not something I will need to replace parts on or just has to have that special add on to really work right. I am new to milling operations but have a good source of info from a brother in law who does this a lot for either personal interest(rebuilds old steam traction engines uses and old Bridgeport) or professionally at work(rebuilds valves for a chemical plant) In looking at the spec sheets he says they look good but I would like some opinions from people who have used them.
Thanks for taking the time for any replies.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:16 AM
SFT Historian

Welcome to the site.

I know the Little Machine Shop has been around for a long time I ordered two small lathe belts from them a few years back without any problems, they send me invitations to show up to their Christmas party's so I guess they have a walk-in building, i never went.

Never used a Hi-tourque mini mill, looks more like a learning mill or for small clock making.
I don't like the specifications in general. the Z distance maybe a bit on the short side for gun work.
not keen on a mill that does not have a high/low gear..
Old 07-26-2021, 11:54 AM
Twice the size--half the man

I know a couple guys that have bought them for similar intended use. They quickly outgrew them and lost money when they sold them. I've looked at them numerous times myself but couldn't ever justify it.

I have never used either of those machines, but did a lot of business with Little Machine Shop years ago when I was using way undersized Sherline machines to do production work. They kept me supplied in parts, cutters, and gadgets to get the job done. Their shipping is good, and the quality of their stuff is a decent value. I never had any issue with them that would give me pause from ordering from them again. In fact, they're one of the few companies that I still get weekly emails from that I haven't moved to my spam folders. Sometimes the deals are good, it's just stuff I no longer need.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 07-26-2021, 12:52 PM

GWIZ, DUBBY thanks for the replies and insight. I know that this is a learning mill and don't really have a problem with its travel limitations. I will mainly be doing work on handguns like cutting slides for new sights and the like. This will be to decide if I want to get into bigger stuff. Kimd of like starting out with a .22LR and not a .44 magnum. Given that both of you haven't said really nasty thigs about the company I may go ahead and get one when they get back in stock. I will keep checking this forum before I get one because their site says they won't be in stock to the end of August.
Again thanks for your time and replies. If you think of anything else please feel free to advise and or rant.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:28 PM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John25mm View Post
GWIZ, DUBBY thanks for the replies and insight. I know that this is a learning mill and don't really have a problem with its travel limitations. I will mainly be doing work on handguns like cutting slides for new sights and the like.
not travel but working room.
you need to take into account the height of your part and how to mount it to a small table.

you have 10.6" on the Z
set a pistol up-right say 5", add a drill chuck 3", drill bit 3"
total 11", is calling it too close for drilling holes on a 5" high part.

a 3" vise can take another 2-1/2" or more.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:57 PM

Thank you for taking the time to explain what you meant. New guy here and I appreciate this info.

If any of you can suggest any books/resource material I can read to be slightly ahead of the power curve I would be grateful.

Trust me when I say I will listen to pretty much all advice. Doesn't mean I'm going to follow it because I am a little hard headed but at least I will listen. I've found out that if you pay attention to what people who have a bit more knowledge that I have about a subject it keeps me from making some expensive mistakes. I'm sure I will be getting something and one of the LMS mills might be it, and if it is I'm sure it will be a learning machine and I will upgrade at some point. Right now I have limited space for a mill but will have more space and experience for a bigger and better mill at a later time.

Again thanks for your information and time.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:09 PM
SFT Historian

I have this thread that gives an idea of some of the tools and how to use them, the tooling cost can add up more than what you pay for a mill
https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums...ead.php?t=8701

Be sure to follow the links in the thread they lead to two more projects

The reason I did not comment on the deluxe model, the number model you posted may be wrong and guessing that it is on the small size you will lose more on its resale.
digital readouts are nice but the money may be better spent on tooling.

In this link notice the tool lengths take up quite a bit length and severely limit overall part height.
Boring Holes
https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums...ad.php?t=11300