Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 12-07-2010, 07:05 PM

Default Repairing the Wood Stove - Welding a Crack

Cold weather is here, it only got up to the low 30's today and the shop was cold - no good. I decided to fix the wood stove, there was a crack in the inner firebox that was allowing smoke to escape into the open chamber between the inner and outer boxes, and of course the blower made the problem even worse. I knew about this problem last year, and had patched it with some kind of high temp wood stove sealant and got a few months of use out of it that way. This stove came from a state surplus auction a few years ago and I wire brushed the rust off, repainted it, replaced the glass in the door, put new gaskets in, polished the brass trimmings, and put a new blower motor in her. $65 for the stove and another $150 for the refurbishment, and it's like new again.

First pic shows the main problem - I'm standing near the welding area, and the wood stove is in the back left (look for the vertical stove pipe) and the welding leads aren't long enough to get back there. Pics 2 & 3 are the solution, my mini pallet jack - I love this thing and it has allowed me to avoid making mobile bases for a lot of equipment and I use the jack instead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	1294
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	68935   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	1308
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	68936   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	1176
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	68937  
Old 12-07-2010, 07:14 PM

Post #2

The crack was in the top of the stove and radiated outward from the opening for the stove pipe, probably about 2" long. I ground it down and encountered my biggest ooops of the job - I had roughly cleaned out the ashes, but not all the dust. Well the grinder really stirred up the fine dust in there! Shop vac fixed the problem, and I continued to clean up the area before welding. I used the Syncrowave 180 in stick configuration, with 1/8" 6011 rod, DC+, at about 90amps. I've done very little overhead welding, and it shows in the pic below, but I think it will hold. It was really a challenge to get in there close enough to see and weld worth a darn. The camera angle is odd, and you can see through the 8" opening to the trusses in the roof above.

Pics show the stove near the welding area, the completed weld (looking up), and the stove back in place with a small fire to cure the sealant around the stove pipe. One last pic shows the blower I picked up today, another government surplus auction item. $11 for the blower with a single phase 1/2hp dayton motor! I'll be using it for a dust filtering to be hung from the roof of the shop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	976
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	68938   Click image for larger version

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	1112
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	68939   Click image for larger version

Name:	06.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	68940   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 012.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	68941  
Old 12-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Below Wholesale

Nice repair If you cant weld the best overhead, invert your work!

I think we all need to see more pics of your toybox....looks like you have a pretty well equipped shop.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:39 PM

Good job I doubt anybody will be sticking their head in there inspecting it anyway Looks like a nice shop also.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:48 PM
More STEAM!!

I have a pallet jack also and sure like it for moving things around. Mine had some sort of a tire on the wheels. At some time the tire started pealing off so I removed all of them and run on steel wheels.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:53 PM
The Real Deal

Low 30s, WOW Nice repair
Old 12-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Nutbuster

NC, Nice fix I think it will hold too. I know when my stove sometimes smokes I can't take it at all. I'm with you that would have to be fixed. Low 30s? I thought it was supposed to be warm down south.

What does the big machine to the right of the sand blaster do in post 2 pic 1? It looks like one of those hammers I forgot the name of. That machine is cool too.

Kevin

(I'm not a very good Blacksmith either.) LOL

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."- Albert Einstien

I'm mostly worthless! You'll see.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Low 30s, WOW Nice repair
Low 30's for the high IS cold around here .....and I'd bet it would be considered a preview of summer where you live

Engineman, you're right, that's a powerhammer for smithing. It's a Champion #2, 135lb ram, about 3,800lb overall. Came from the NCDOT, apparently at some point in history they actually had a blacksmith shop to repair equipment. I don't have it working yet, all it really needs is a coat of paint (I know, I know!), and a motor/jackshaft/leather belt and she'll be working. I poured that section of the slab 24" thick with plenty of rebar, and it's isolated from the rest of the slab. Don't worry, I'll post pics when I get to that project!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry View Post
Nice repair If you cant weld the best overhead, invert your work!

I think we all need to see more pics of your toybox....looks like you have a pretty well equipped shop.
I thought long and hard about that, and if I still had the forklift that my brother took back (well, he does own it...) I would have. I was mostly limited to an overhead hoist and just didn't feel like wrestling with it, and it's too heavy to do by hand, probably +/- 300lbs if I had to guess.

Your point is a very valid one, and I normally do try to position my work to make it easier, especially for welding 'cause I need all the advantages I can get!

-David
Old 12-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Nutbuster

Quote:
Don't worry, I'll post pics when I get to that project!
David, That will be cool to see that project. I will watch for that one.

I have a drill press about that size to do the same with. I have needed it about 2 dozen times already. I just need to get on this stuff. LOL I just know how it goes too. LOL I'm glad you got the stove fixed. Its 19* here in Ohio.
Kevin

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."- Albert Einstien

I'm mostly worthless! You'll see.