Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 01-24-2010, 04:39 PM

Default Keeping it Green

Maybe I should of titled it "Keeping the Green", anyway since I bought my Hobart Stickmate 235/160 AC/DC welder I been kicking around a few ideas of making it mobile around the shop and maybe outside the shop doors aways.

There is a optional running gear that you can buy for the Stickmate, but after reading some reviews here and on different sites I didn't want to fork over the $50.00 bucks plus for the factory style running gear.

So I just copied the factory one somewhat with odds and ends I've collected. The handle on mine is stainless steel, it was at one time the framework that held a stainless steel tray like you would see in a dental office. Where it came from I have no idea, it was in the old red barn that I had torn down.

The wheels and axle I robbed off a trash can, one of those large type that you set at the end of the drive at any given day of the week. Someone had disguarded theirs on a local county road doing some illegal dumping.

The legs I welded up from some 1" square tubing I have from disassembling my old deer stand tower.

All and all I'm pleased with the turn out of the running gear and pleased I got to keep the $50.00 plus green.

I do need to come up with a good heavy duty extenion cord though.

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010011.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	56158   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010007.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	56159   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010010.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	56160   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010008.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	56161  
Old 01-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Director of Product Reviews

Tony I have the same Hobart and built a stand that would hold both a MIG and the AC/DC. What you have looks great and much cheaper than what I built. If you do get a MIG welder I can set you up with a drawing of cart that will hold both and make them as mobile as it can be.

Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call,
Wanted to sail upon your waters
since I was three feet tall.
You've seen it all, you've seen it all.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Sultan of Scrounge

Good job using the scrap. Lowes and Home Depot carry SO cable which is just the stuff for a heavy duty extension cord. I cant remember what wire size I used off the top of my head. The cord is thirty feet long and I believe its #6 or #8.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyA View Post
Tony I have the same Hobart and built a stand that would hold both a MIG and the AC/DC. What you have looks great and much cheaper than what I built. If you do get a MIG welder I can set you up with a drawing of cart that will hold both and make them as mobile as it can be.
Tommy: I'm planning on a mig here someday just don't know when the rest of my ship may come in though . That would be nice to have both together, feel free to post your drawing and I will save it for sure.

Mike: I had planned to go with a 50' at first and may still do that, but I'm leaning toward just a 30 footer. Electrican guy that wired my shop suggested if I go 50ft to go with a #6 but he said it was like $2 or $3 a foot for the #6.

Tony
Old 02-02-2010, 06:36 PM

Looking around the shop I came across a heavy duty power cord that's right at 30 ft length. Of course it does not have the right plug-in's, but that would'nt take much to remeady.

The cord has stamped on it (Power Cord Style 10ST 3 COND 600V) any of you electrical guys think this would work for a extension cord for my Stickmate with the right plug-ins installed.

Tony
Old 02-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Dodge City Marshal

Wire it up and crank it up. Burn a few sticks and tell us what happened.

Don't use it when it's coiled.

Quote:
Knock, knock. Anyone home? Anyone there? Barack Obama exists only as the sock puppet of his handlers, of the people who have maneuvered and manufactured this pathetic individual’s life.
http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/...ieve-life.html
Old 02-03-2010, 01:55 AM
Armchair Webbie

Tony, 10 ga. is good for 30 amps input. You could probably use it on lower settings. I'd use a minimum of 8 ga. but, if you crank it all the way to 235, you'll need 6 ga. for extended use.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Lee; 02-03-2010 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:35 PM

Good job on recycling and reusing what you already had. My nature is to always hold on to things because I'll use for something else? I now make an effort to use it or through it away.
Everyone seems to want to have a longer extension cord for their machines which for mig you have no choice but for a stick machine you can run longer leads. I would think running longer leads would be a better choice over an ext. cord?
Old 02-06-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lee View Post
Tony, 10 ga. is good for 30 amps input. You could probably use it on lower settings. I'd use a minimum of 8 ga. but, if you crank it all the way to 235, you'll need 6 ga. for extended use.

Dave
Thanks Dave for the insite, my electrican suggested 6ga from the start, but reading on another site "Hobart Weld Talk" some of the guys over there that are members here said 10ga would work fine. Maybe they was not considering extended use, I don't know I'm not a electrican.

I had found that 10ga cord in the shop and thought I would ask here. They was saying since there is not a constance load on the cord you can use the 10ga.

JayO: I've heard some say extend the leads and some say get a extension cord. I don't know myself which is the best way to go.

I do know I'm a penny pincher and want to save money but safety does rule over that.

Tony
Old 02-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Elite Member

"I've heard some say extend the leads and some say get a extension cord. I don't know myself which is the best way to go. "

It's always cheaper to extend the lower current wiring. It also keeps the
welder closer to the work, for adjustments. :-)
...lew...