Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 03-26-2011, 03:18 PM

Default Journey to TIGdom

Full disclosure - I"m not now, nor have I ever been, a professional welder. All of my experience has been in repair and fabrication in my farm shop years ago. I've continued as an amateur since. I'm pretty proficient with stick, OA cutting & brazing.

I've always wanted to become proficient with TIG, and recently have begun rounding up all the bits and pieces necessary to give it a go. I have a Miller Maxstar 200DX that I've used for stick welding up to this point. Recently I picked up a bottle of argon at my LWS and began setting up for TIG.

I've had an old TIG torch and argon regulator laying around for years, so I dusted them off, bought some consumables and began putting everything together.

The attached pic is my first attempt at running a bead with no filler. I'm using a 1/16" Ceriated (orange) tungsten at 120 amps at 20cfh with a #6 cup. The tubing I was welding on is .250", so I'm guessing my tungsten is a bit small and the current too low for real welding.

I'm going to clean up some 1/8" material to practice on which is probably more in line with the electrode size I'm using.

I've attached a photo of what I've done so far, as well as a shot of my torch setup showing my tungsten grind and stickout.

I've made a couple of attempts at introducing filler, but things go downhill fast at that point.

Question - does it appear that I'm getting an acceptable shield? I don't see a lot of photos of mild steel TIG. Most of the examples I've looked at are stainless, and the weld looks as shiny as a new dime. Mine looks slightly dull.

I don't have a foot pedal yet, so I'm doing lift-arc and breaking the arc with a wrist-flick at the end of the bead.

All advice welcome!

Thanks,
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TIG_Bead_1c.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	73676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Torch_c.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	73678  
Old 03-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Dodge City Marshal

You deserve a dime for every one in your stack.

Quote:
Knock, knock. Anyone home? Anyone there? Barack Obama exists only as the sock puppet of his handlers, of the people who have maneuvered and manufactured this pathetic individual’s life.
http://factsnotfantasy.blogspot.com/...ieve-life.html
Old 03-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Da Chief

Great start, I use a little less stickout but I'm a pedal rockin' cup walker so don't listen to me. Grab a piece of filler rod, try a bead, and we'll se if you can pass the gum test.

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 03-26-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTN View Post
The attached pic is my first attempt at running a bead with no filler. I'm using a 1/16" Ceriated (orange) tungsten at 120 amps at 20cfh with a #6 cup. The tubing I was welding on is .250", so I'm guessing my tungsten is a bit small and the current too low for real welding.
That's starting to push the upper end of 1/16". 3/32" or 1/8" would be better. The 1/16" will start to spit if you get it too much higher.

Quote:
I've attached a photo of what I've done so far, as well as a shot of my torch setup showing my tungsten grind and stickout.
Looks good

Quote:
I've made a couple of attempts at introducing filler, but things go downhill fast at that point.
It's the same as oxy-acetylene stick the filler in the puddle and keep moving.

Quote:
Question - does it appear that I'm getting an acceptable shield? I don't see a lot of photos of mild steel TIG. Most of the examples I've looked at are stainless, and the weld looks as shiny as a new dime. Mine looks slightly dull.
That shielding looks fine. That's what mild steel looks like.

Quote:
I don't have a foot pedal yet, so I'm doing lift-arc and breaking the arc with a wrist-flick at the end of the bead.
When you start to add filler practice adding one quick last dab right before you break the arc to fill the crater that you leave behind.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Zachman View Post
You deserve a dime for every one in your stack.
lol...Thanks Tom. That'd be cool if I could crank out real dimes like that!
Old 03-26-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post
Great start, I use a little less stickout but I'm a pedal rockin' cup walker so don't listen to me. Grab a piece of filler rod, try a bead, and we'll se if you can pass the gum test.

RED
I'm not rightly sure what the gum test is, but I'm pretty sure my TIG skills don't belong anywhere near a test of any kind at this point.

Thanks for the tips and taking time to reply. I'll post some pics with my attempts to add filler in the next day or two.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wumpus138 View Post
That's starting to push the upper end of 1/16". 3/32" or 1/8" would be better. The 1/16" will start to spit if you get it too much higher.
Thanks Wumpus. I figured I was pushing the envelope with the 1/16" tungsten. I'll get a larger tungsten and/or thinner stock for my next practice run.

Thanks for the coaching, I really appreciate it.

John
Old 03-27-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Full disclosure - I"m not now, nor have I ever been, a professional welder. All of my experience has been in repair and fabrication in my farm shop years ago. I've continued as an amateur since. I'm pretty proficient with stick, OA cutting & brazing.

I've always wanted to become proficient with TIG, and recently have begun rounding up all the bits and pieces necessary to give it a go. I have a Miller Maxstar 200DX that I've used for stick welding up to this point. Recently I picked up a bottle of argon at my LWS and began setting up for TIG.

I've had an old TIG torch and argon regulator laying around for years, so I dusted them off, bought some consumables and began putting everything together.

I'm going to clean up some 1/8" material to practice on which is probably more in line with the electrode size I'm using.

All advice welcome!

Thanks,
John
Well your torch is set up in almost the same way mine is....So ya can't go wrong now can ya

And if my first go on the tig looked as good as yours I would have been as happy as a pig in sh#@post

words of wisdom and advice........PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
Matt
Old 03-28-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew_g View Post
Well your torch is set up in almost the same way mine is....So ya can't go wrong now can ya

And if my first go on the tig looked as good as yours I would have been as happy as a pig in sh#@post

words of wisdom and advice........PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
Matt
Thanks Matt...lol...sounds like your much further along in your TIG journey than I am, so if my setup looks like yours, I'll take that as a good thing!

I'm gonna get back at it tonight and try introducing some filler this time. Pictures to follow.

Cheers all, and thanks for the help and encouragement.

John
Old 03-29-2011, 10:29 PM

I got in a little more practice tonight. This time my coupons are 1/8", which is more appropriate for the 1/16" tungsten and the 1/16" filler I'm using.

I've gotten pretty comfortable with carrying a puddle across the work with no filler. In the first photo, you can see my somewhat disastrous attempts to add filler. In the second photo, I managed to run a bead with filler that didn't seem too bad.

Process parameters for the work shown in these two photos:

1. Shielding Gas - 100% Argon, 20cfh
2. 105 Amps, DCEN
3. Tungsten - 1/16" Ceriated (orange)
4. Filler - 1/16" ER70S-2
5. Lift-Arc, no remote contactor or current, 5 sec postflow

Photos:
#1 - Consistently able to carry a puddle with no filler. Initial attempts to add filler....no bueno

#2 - Fairly decent bead, with filler added

All critique, comments and coaching welcomed!

I appreciate all the help and suggestions so far.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03566.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	73855   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03575.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	73856