Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 04-23-2018, 10:24 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
I have a mechanical winch

Ideas on a winched by cable ground engaging plow/trenching affair would be appreciated at this time. This thing is to be placed at one side of the house outside of the houses footprint and then pulled out the other side, moving a suitable amount of dirt at/per pull. I'm sure it will take several trips of this thing to get enough depth to allow my ass to get underneath at the beginnings of this excursion in work.
The thing you want is called a slusher and is available from any mining supplier. They are air or electric powered. Can be rented if you find the right source. I would recommend air powered, with a rental compressor.

This will dig you out in about one day, assuming you have a spot to anchor the tailblock, and be able to spot the block in different areas. You can, after a bit of practice, learn to toss the scraper sideways to grab muck from a different area.

Here is a video of moving blast rock with one of these

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 04-23-2018, 10:38 AM
Lord of the Minions

Thanks Gerry. BTW, you do know there is no mining done in La. lol with the exception of the salt mines.

I'll look at and around with your info.

thanks

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-23-2018, 10:43 AM
Lord of the Minions

Watching the first video this is exactly what I'm wanting to use. Although it will be ele motor driven on the winch.

There will easily be a need for 5 such trenches to be pre-dug to allow access under and for work to begin.

I may have to start shallow for the first couple drags before a larger drag can be used. If I can trench a bit better than 3', possibly 4' wide, things will get moving along nicely. But I have to get the water problem taken care of first and before.

thanks much.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-23-2018, 10:58 AM
Lord of the Minions

I've used and owned something called Tumble Bug earth movers, 4' to 8' in width. This is the first ideas of something simpler without the revolving for my need to trench under the house.

I've got a much better idea of what will work thanks to Gerry's directions.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:36 PM
Elite Member

I would just call these guys.
They seem to know their stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	house boat.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	144623  
Old 04-23-2018, 02:51 PM
Something's Fishy ...

Keeping the services attached might be an issue
Old 04-23-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
Thanks Gerry. BTW, you do know there is no mining done in La. lol with the exception of the salt mines.

I'll look at and around with your info.

thanks
I knew that when I posted it but in this case if you found one in Arizona, for instance and had it shipped over, did the dirty, and shipped it back, you would be still in the clover. Mine suppliers are used to shipping stuff all over.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 04-23-2018, 08:19 PM
Lord of the Minions

I've now got a good start on making one with about a day's worth of labor and a bit of welding thrown in. Hell, I might make this a little side line job for helping with the initial start of house leveling. (which I doubt) lol

Between the slusher box, lowboy dolly and finishing the old winch, well it's all good, The home brew Tumble Bug can be altered after the fact to be used behind the SA's for dirt movement for leveling which alone is an ongoing fight.

The cart will always find a need in use as well as the winch. The winch and FL will see use on the next shop/shed build using the H beams for the overhead trolley hoist system I've needed since the old shop has been in use.

First thing in the morning the Mover/Lifter dude will be at the farm at 08:30 or so to look at and discuss things needed and wanted to get done.

At noon another contractor and heavy equipment friend along with another Engineering/architect friend will meet with me to talk about two concrete pads, one 40 x 60' for the condo work and another 60x100' for the new shop just behind the old.

One will tell me what and how we'll pickup and move the containers to end up with the design and placements of the containers. I expect to be able to have 3 stories, but not all stacked on top of one another like 3 boxes of crackers. A little creativity will be thrown in to allow 2nd story inner patio and mini garden open lighting front, back and overhead. Gotta have some place for the weed to have free reign and ease of access, for cooking of course.

The container condo will be the studio and guitar workings as well as a 50 seat venue for special get togethers for music jamming and recording of course. I won't/will not open a bar, whorehouse or a club. Just a place with acoustics for sound and play.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:16 PM

LW, you got to retire soon or you won't get it all done. The plan sounds awesome.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:04 PM
Elite Member

Sometime back I lived in a subdivision of cracker box homes.
500 houses with 2 floor plans
A 2 bedroom and a 3 bedroom
The 2 was a simple box about 36 x 24

The 2 bedroom was very often jacked up to a raised ranch or even 2 story height while lived in!

The village seemed to think it was OK

They used washing machine hoses to extend the water, truck inertubes for the sewer, and flex stove hook ups for the gas.

I can only guess that they thought the ventilation of having the house up in the air made any fumes a non problem.