Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 09-02-2019, 01:20 PM

Default Updating My Air Fittings

Some of my old quick connect fittings are pretty worn out and are pissing air. I'm replacing some of my air hoses also. I have been using the M/Industrial style for 50 years. I'm looking at the Milton v series of air fittings. I use 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch industrial now and am thinking that I should update to the V series for my 1/4 inch connections. It looks like they flow more air than the 3/8 industrial fittings.
Anyone have experience with these? Do you think the V series would hold up as well as the 3/8 Industrial?

Big Blue 500 CC/CV
CST 280
Hypertherm 1650
Suitcase 12RC
24A Feeder
Thermal Arc 160S
Old 09-02-2019, 06:18 PM
Gadget Girl

I have some of the V model fittings that came standard for my Vzilla air tool and hose combo.

problem is they are not backward compatible. So, I can not install 20 of them for any decent money. (new purchase).

The kit I purchased came with the tool, hose and fittings and if it were a stand-alone type of deal or just got into air tools, then it would be ok as they are basically and upsized fitting with a smaller thread size.

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:46 PM
Boiler God

I’m in the process of changing from 1/4” Milton type A to 3/8” Amflo/TruFlate type G, quick connect air fittings. I looked at the Milton V series, high flow but they are notorious for leaking, so I went with the G style.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
I’m in the process of changing from 1/4” Milton type A to 3/8” Amflo/TruFlate type G, quick connect air fittings. I looked at the Milton V series, high flow but they are notorious for leaking, so I went with the G style.
Interesting!

As I understand it the new type V receptacles accept the old type M plugs as well as the type V plugs. Are they leaking with both?

Big Blue 500 CC/CV
CST 280
Hypertherm 1650
Suitcase 12RC
24A Feeder
Thermal Arc 160S
Old 09-04-2019, 04:17 PM

The type V couplers accept V style plugs as well as the M plugs. This seems like it is the problem with leaking. I believe this is the same problem they have with universal couplers. Jack of all trades, master of none. From looking at various posts it seems the leaking and disconnect problems are with the M plugs going into the V couplers. The people that are using V plugs on V couplers seem to be very happy with them.
I have ordered Milton V series plugs and couplers for my 1/4 inch connections.
It seems the bigger problem with air flow is the size and length of the hose. I have pretty much standardized on 3/8 hose for my 1/4 and 3/8 inch connections.
I have several portable tanks that I position close to where I'm working. I feed them with a 1/2 inch line. I run them at above working pressure and use a regulator to bring the portable tank pressure to working pressure.
I'll see how these V fittings work out.

Big Blue 500 CC/CV
CST 280
Hypertherm 1650
Suitcase 12RC
24A Feeder
Thermal Arc 160S
Old 09-05-2019, 12:23 PM

You want non leakers and hi volume "g" style is what you want, HF even has them.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...4019_200414019

Pep
Old 09-05-2019, 04:39 PM

Actually, all my 1/2 inch couplings would be considered G style. The Milton G style coupler works on the 1/2 inch industrial plugs as well as the 1/2 inch plugs that look like Tru-Flate plugs. All my 1/2 inch couplers are Parker 30 series that I picked up at the industrial supply house and all the plugs are the industrial style.
The 1/2 inch connectors are a little unwieldy for connecting smaller tools. I have them on my earth tampers. My primary use for them is to run 1/2 inch line from my stationary compressors to a separate tank.

Big Blue 500 CC/CV
CST 280
Hypertherm 1650
Suitcase 12RC
24A Feeder
Thermal Arc 160S
Old 09-05-2019, 06:35 PM

What are you calling a small tool, curious?

Pep
Old 09-05-2019, 07:01 PM

Nail guns, 1/2 inch impacts, basically anything with a 1/4 or 3/8 NPT inlet. Being up on staging or a roof and whipping around a half inch hose and coupling all day long would become tiresome.

Big Blue 500 CC/CV
CST 280
Hypertherm 1650
Suitcase 12RC
24A Feeder
Thermal Arc 160S
Old 09-05-2019, 07:20 PM

I have a number of heavy duty hoses that are very substantial and will probably last a lifetime. As a matter of fact I have a Goodyear 1/4 inch hose that I have had for at least forty years. The fittings on it are the one pissing air and need to be replaced. The problem with it is it needs to be rolled out flat to work with it as it is not very flexible.
I have some light weight hoses that I use when I'm running around as I work. They'll probably only last a couple of years, but if they save me a lot of extra work during those couple of years, then they are worth it to me.

Big Blue 500 CC/CV
CST 280
Hypertherm 1650
Suitcase 12RC
24A Feeder
Thermal Arc 160S