Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 06-17-2018, 08:16 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
Got the compressor uncrated and moved into it’s home. I had picked up the wiring bits a few days ago so this morning was all about install. Went well. Mines a 120 gallon tank but I cannot imagine wrestling an 80 gallon into a basement! Jen your an animal!

My old compressor from a dead start took 3:30 to fill to 125 psi. The new one takes 7 minutes to fill to a factory set 165 psi. And you can talk on the phone in front of it!!!

Pretty happy with the purchase.

The third pic is the silencer. Just muffles the intake noise and filters too. Kinda interesting.
36 cfm, that's about right size for the tank. Looks like an excellent setup.
Looking at that silencer it strikes me that a box with a series of small furnace filters, which are basically the same stuff, would make a doit yerself unit.

I solved my noise by having the compressor in the warehouse or stockroom area of the shop behind closed doors like everyone else does.
But I do find that silencer interesting.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 06-18-2018, 12:18 AM
Armchair Webbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Some people have to pee on the fence
HAY! I was gonna' say that!
Old 06-23-2018, 10:26 PM
Post Fiend

First try out of the new compressor. Had to do brakes on both drive axles with bud wheels. So two times the lug nuts!

This compressor is a beast. I can’t get it below 125 psi with an inch gun.

I thought I had decent plumbing on my old compressor but I bought all new Milton fittings and big pipe when I plumbed it. My 1” impact sounds completely different. Waaaay more thunder.

Very very happy camper.

Now I need a dryer......
Old 06-24-2018, 12:45 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
First try out of the new compressor. Had to do brakes on both drive axles with bud wheels. So two times the lug nuts!

This compressor is a beast. I can’t get it below 125 psi with an inch gun.

I thought I had decent plumbing on my old compressor but I bought all new Milton fittings and big pipe when I plumbed it. My 1” impact sounds completely different. Waaaay more thunder.

Very very happy camper.

Now I need a dryer......
Congrats on the satisfaction results sound like your ecstatic on its performance....

You went the mile on the compressor why not go refrigerated air dryer now and a self draining regulator It will give a whole new life to your air tools

believe it or not I bought a HF 3/4 impact before I got my RAD and the gun didn't last for crap.... got it replaced 3 times and then went with a Hankerson RAD and I have been using the same gun for 8 years now no issues and all my other air tools seem to preform far better than before.

also an auto tank drain helps longevity of the tank but I would imagine if you got the compressor you were talking about it may have come with one..

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 08-19-2018, 09:25 PM

When I went from 3/8" to 1/2" hose for my 1/2" impact it was night and day. You want the restriction to be the air tool not any of the piping before it. The impact I have is an air hog

I need to decide what piping I want in the shop. I've worked with the 3/4" Maxline stuff that comes in a roll. You do need to build the straightener rig that they have on their website to get it reasonably straight. I built the straightener out of SS the last job I was at but probably don't have access to it now.

I did 3/4" copper in a past shop and it worked well but is more expensive than I want.

I need to do about a 160' loop in my shop with 3-4 outlets.