Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 03-25-2018, 11:05 PM
Post Fiend

Default I need an air compressor

I built an air compressor in 1999 with an old water well pressure tank and it’s had two pumps and now two different motors on it. It’s served it’s purpose but I run it so hard it pushes a lot of water and I know it won’t last. The tank volume is starting to be a issue as well.

I like the looks of these: https://www.eatoncompressor.com/7-5h...air-compressor

Anyone know of anything better?
Old 03-26-2018, 03:52 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
I built an air compressor in 1999 with an old water well pressure tank and it’s had two pumps and now two different motors on it. It’s served it’s purpose but I run it so hard it pushes a lot of water and I know it won’t last. The tank volume is starting to be a issue as well.

I like the looks of these: https://www.eatoncompressor.com/7-5h...air-compressor

Best compressor for the buck are the ones at home depot or lowe's
they are dependable and serviceable
I have one I bought from HF the US general same ones they carry NOT Made In china! US general are made in Houston or Dallas Tx some where round there I've had mine for quite a few years it has been down on compressor twice first time I called HF parts and they were on crack from space wanted 105 bucks for the kit to repair it so I found out where they were made called them well they were a bit high and figured they were stepping on their crack a little at 80 bucks plus shipping

but I looked around and found a place here locally with American made parts for the pump and bought three complete rebuild kits for 30 bucks each which was a no brainer for me problem is that was 3 or 4 years ago and I still have two kits sitting in the boxes I haven't had to use....

Not sure why HF no longer sells the US general compressors any more they were far better and were half the price of the Chicago ones they sell now.

If you have a tractor supply they have the IR compressors that are just a small step above the husky and lowe's brand I think they also carry a black bull brand which is comparable to HF's new line
Not that IR is Cheap or anything I think the ones at tractor supply are more built for the economy model for consumers and not for standard commercial use.

But if you really want something that screams "I spent a lot of money" buy the Eaton
But if a whisper quiet compressor is a totally must have.... there is nothing better than a rotary compressed air system

"Sticks And Stones May Break My Bones.... But Whips An Chains Excite Me"

"The best revenge is to be unlike your enemy"
Marcus Aurelius, "Meditation"
Old 03-26-2018, 05:27 AM

"Pushing a lot of water" is due to humidity in the air and not the fault of the compressor.

There are many threads here on air dryers and water seperators, These will help protect your tools as will oiling them before putting them away.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:54 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Best compressor for the buck are the ones at home depot or lowe's
they are dependable and serviceable
I have one I bought from HF the US general same ones they carry NOT Made In china! US general are made in Houston or Dallas Tx some where round there I've had mine for quite a few years it has been down on compressor twice first time I called HF parts and they were on crack from space wanted 105 bucks for the kit to repair it so I found out where they were made called them well they were a bit high and figured they were stepping on their crack a little at 80 bucks plus shipping

but I looked around and found a place here locally with American made parts for the pump and bought three complete rebuild kits for 30 bucks each which was a no brainer for me problem is that was 3 or 4 years ago and I still have two kits sitting in the boxes I haven't had to use....

Not sure why HF no longer sells the US general compressors any more they were far better and were half the price of the Chicago ones they sell now.

If you have a tractor supply they have the IR compressors that are just a small step above the husky and lowe's brand I think they also carry a black bull brand which is comparable to HF's new line
Not that IR is Cheap or anything I think the ones at tractor supply are more built for the economy model for consumers and not for standard commercial use.

But if you really want something that screams "I spent a lot of money" buy the Eaton
But if a whisper quiet compressor is a totally must have.... there is nothing better than a rotary compressed air system
I have had two of the harbor freight US general compressors. I'm tired of junk and want a decent compressor that will keep up.

What box store has a compressor that's 31 cfm @100 psi?
Old 03-26-2018, 07:56 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenfingers View Post
"Pushing a lot of water" is due to humidity in the air and not the fault of the compressor.
Never said it was the compressors fault, it's the repurposed water tank into a pressure vessel that when pushed hard puts moisture in the line. The design of the tank does not lend itself to a practical drain.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:58 AM
Boiler God

I’m surprised at that price point, that the Eaton, doesn’t have pressurized pump lubrication.

They also tout no aluminum crankcase, why not, they make car engines out of aluminum, on my compressor the crankcase is aluminum, with a cast iron cylinder liner.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:10 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
I like the looks of these:
https://www.eatoncompressor.com/7-5h...air-compressor

I like the look of that too!!! Good price.

And, no I don't.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 03-26-2018, 09:17 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Never said it was the compressors fault, it's the repurposed water tank into a pressure vessel that when pushed hard puts moisture in the line. The design of the tank does not lend itself to a practical drain.
If you have enough CFM, have you thought of getting a better tank instead?

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 03-26-2018, 09:33 AM
Auction Addict

I excpect you won't find one better for the price.

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves"

William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783
Old 03-26-2018, 09:53 AM
Grumpy Bastard

I don't think any of these can beat what you have linked.

http://www.tptools.com/Air-Compressors.html

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley