Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 06-09-2010, 06:12 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu47Dan View Post
Dr Dean, I am afraid the local PD always wonders what I am doing here. I thought of packing the hole with dry ice then covering the holes with plastic and dirt, and let the CO2 do the work but I would have to order it ahead of time.
The Anhydrous Ammonia would work well, but I don't have any access to it.
Dan.
Yup, I took my mig co2 bottle, straight off the valve to a rubber garden hose,
and with it inverted, fogged the little bugger. Just like a fire extinguisher.

As this was in the middle of my shop (joint between slabs) I don't want
any corrosive problems from anhydrous.

The gopher blaster's mix propane and oxygen, and use a spark plug
on the end of the hose to ignite.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Doug, propane and oxygen, that would probably bring the shop down.
I made a lot of progress yesterday, another nine buckets cleaned out and stacked up. I wash the buckets out with Marine Clean and a scrub brush, then rinse them out with the garden hose. I am still have quite a few buckets to sort out yet.
I put all my wiring stuff into one tote and if I find anymore, it will be put into that tote.
I went through my copper fittings and did a rough inventory of what I have, I separated them according to size into freezer bags. Now I have to build a bin that will fit into one of the cabinets to have a place to store them out of the way. Right now I have two full five gallon buckets of them.
I have burnt three thirty gallon trash cans of thrash, full of old boxes, paper and plastic bottles. It is amazing what does not get thrown away.
It is raining here today so I will probably get more done in the shop, I am thinking of sorting out the base cabinets I put in and start putting stuff away in a sensible pattern.
Once I get all this done it will be easier to work in the shop and find things I need.
After I get the shop cleaned out I am going to build my new compressor skid since I have to build a new house for it. I have two 100 gallon tanks that I will use for air storage, they are rated tanks with stamps and data plates. more on that in another thread.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 06-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Drivin' Fool

Quote:
.... pesky woodchucks .....has tunnels under the concrete slab
Dan
We don't have a lot of woodchucks here, but gophers do the same thing, only not so big a mess.
The worst mess I had to live with when I was still working, was a den of foxes under one storage shed I used outside town (multiple holes on 3 sides of the slab).
I would have liked to shoot the damn things, but the company doesn't permit fire arms in/on company property. The other sticking point was that the shed just happened to be in the fenced compound for the gas regulator station feeding the city I worked out of. Shooting in a property with high pressure natural gas lines (up to 800 PSI coming in to the yard) both above and below ground, is something I am just not crazy enough to do.
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 06-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Cramd, when I was working the pipelines, we were cleaning up old maintenance shacks around the area, I was running the dozer, the other guy on the job was running a Cat 120B excavator tearing the buildings down and loading them into dump trucks. I would clean up and grade the site. We moved onto a new site on a Thursday afternoon, knocked down the building and left for the night, On Friday morning we arrived at the site on fired up the equipment, as soon as I hit the starter in the dozer I was instantly smothered in skunk spray, apparently they moved into the belly pan of the dozer during the night and did not like be awakened at 07:00.
Lucky I just got the odor and not the direct burst. The dozer smelled really bad for a few months after that, even with washing it several times. I learned not to park the dozer close to a demo'ed building again.

I understand about shooting around the valve stations, what amazes me is that more valve stations are not damaged around here during hunting season.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 06-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Now, since I need to replace the compressor house, I decided to replace my breaker panel in the shop as the existing panel is lacking a large knockout for the new wiring for the compressor. I decided to insulate the wall and put plywood on it then mount the new panel on the plywood. Taking the old box out will take longer then all the rest of the work. I went and picked up the materials to do the work today and will start on the project in the morning.
Photo's to follow.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 06-11-2010, 04:40 AM
Armchair Webbie

Don't shoot me Dan but, weren't you about to build a whole new shop? I know you had some trouble before but, I thought you got that straightened out.

Dave
Old 06-11-2010, 08:48 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Dave, you don't have to duck.
I have gotten everything straightened out with building permits and variances, since I have redesigned the building all I need is one variance for square footage of the new shop instead of four variances, Sq/Ft, height, set back and one other one I can not remember right now.
Work being as slow as it is and not looking any better for the rest of the summer I can not justified spending the money to build a new shop at the present time.
The new shop building is planned but I need to get my savings account built back up. I do not borrow money to build or buy anything. I decided if I can get the rest of the money saved up I will build a new shop next year. But, the compressor building is in real danger of collapse from age and damage from the woodchuck undermining it, so something has to be done about it. I have the cement block, the 2 X 6's, insulation, and most of the wiring to replace it. The framing will be re-used on the new shop and the metal siding will also be re-used.
I would rather build a new compressor building then have this one collapse and have to buy a new compressor. The cost of building the new compressor building will be about $400.
I am looking at another winter in my existing shop, even if I would be able to start on the new shop building in late fall, it would take until next spring to get it ready to move into. And if work does not pick up, I will need what is left in my savings just to survive and pay the bills here.
Dan.
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 06-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Drivin' Fool

Quote:

I understand about shooting around the valve stations, what amazes me is that more valve stations are not damaged around here during hunting season.
Dan.
I had around 100 or so regulator buildings/small stations etc. in my district, but the only ones with bullet damage were located on, or near, one or two Indian reserves. The idiots doing the shooting had deliberately targeted the buildings, with small bore rifles such as .22 caliber, but caused no damage to piping.
Hunters were no problem at all. Transmission line block valves would be more of a concern re: stray bullets, but I don't recall ever seeing any damage to any block valve assembly.Ditto any of the 100 or so rectifiers I maintained.
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 06-12-2010, 07:59 PM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

A few years ago we had a pumper lean a target against a line with a T in it. I Don't think they use them anymore but it had a bull plug in the end with a convex in it. He shot it and the bullet killed him.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

I spent the day replacing the old breaker box with the new one.
Pulling all the wiring and then removing the old box, took about four hours, then adding the additional studs to the wall framing , insulating the wall and hanging the sheet of plywood took another three hours. Then I hung the new box on the wall, wired the main breaker and reconnected the yard light.
Tomorrow I will finish the re-wiring of the panel.
  1. Old Panel and wiring
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	62210  
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig