Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 08-04-2017, 12:35 PM
Elite Member

Default Another Chainsaw problem

I have here one sold by Sears but is definitely a Poulan . The last time I used it, at least a year ago it worked fine. The instructions, 6 pushes on the primer pump, full choke for (I think it's 5 pulls) then half choke and it starts. So it didn't start at all and I blamed it on the gas gumming up the carb. So got some "magic" stuff at the local hardware and proceeded to drain the gas tank when what to my wondering eyes appeared the filter fell out of the tank. looked inside and find the hose in pieces. SO! it's off the hardware again to get replacement tubing of the right size. No problem! Now the fun begins. I even found a U-Tube on replacing the tubing BUT either someone had been in there
or the instructions were wrong. All the stuff I find shows the two places on the carb that have tubing attached, one of the large dia. and one of the small.
The primer pump was on the large tubing from the tank to the carb and the filter was on that piece in the tank. The small dia. tubing just went from the carb back into the tank about a half inch. So I re did everything as I though it was and it once tried to start but won't do it again. It appears to be flooding all the time now. I tried various combinations of the prime-choke-start sequence still no luck. So I even pulled the plug after each try and there is gas bridging the points on the plug. Gave the rope a pull and it spits a teaspoon of gas out the plug hole. So must be some large flood of fuel getting in there. An interesting point on one of the videos they say the filter should be on the small diameter tubing, but it wasn't there whe I took it apart. That tube just went from the carb to the tank (some sort of a "overflow" from the carb supposedly). None of the vids. are very helpful with definitions of the terms they use.
So anyone have any ideas what to do next. ????
Thanks
...lew...
Old 08-04-2017, 12:44 PM

If it's a Walbro carb, I think the next step is to sledgehammer it.

Sorry, I can't help more, I used Sears Craftsman saws for years and swore by them, but now I'm 100% Stihl...which has been really good to me knock wood ... though I try to run them all at least every 3 months, and never anything but 100% gasoline with 2C oil for the premix...had to use some Seafoam once and that saved my bacon from a rebuild...good luck.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:56 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Buy new carb, gaskets, fuel line and filter, also any other parts that the fuel
sat in.

Rebuilding the newer low emissions carbs are damn near impossible.

The ethanol gas is what destroys small engines.

Next never EVER put a piece of equipment away with gas in the system.
By doing that you created your own problem, life sucks, but it is a learning
moment.

Nothing anybody says about this additive or that additive will solve the
issue with shitty ethanol gas. If they say otherwise, either they don't know
any better or they are lying to you.

If you can find ethanol free gas, use it if not us the highest octane rated gas
you can fine generally 91-93.

Even with good gas, you should never let gas sit around longer than a few
weeks especially in 2 strokes. Unless you know you are going to be using in
the next few days. Drain the fuel out of the tank. And run the engine dry on
low idle until it dies, leave the fuel cap on but loose to allow evaporation of
any remaining fumes.

This basic maintenance will resolve any future issues.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 08-04-2017, 02:04 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Also with 2 stroke fuel, when you mix the fuel, generally it can last up to a
MAXIMUM of 3 months. In part that depends on the quality of the 2 stroke
oils out there. I use Stihl's premium oil, Amsoil also makes a damn good
product. Use only high octane fuel for 2-strokes, they will thank you for it.

Cheaper oils may only last a month, also store the mixed fuel out of direct
sunlight and in as cool a place as you can safely find.

I am sure there are other good ones out there but I just have not spent
anytime researching them.

All my 2 strokes require 50:1 mix. I actually run 45:1, just to be safe.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 08-04-2017, 03:10 PM
Auction Addict

If you let it sit with gas in it for a year, it is time to clean the carb. Only use ethanol free gas. Drain tank and run till carb is dry. then store. Make sure to get a fuel filter you said was missing. The Walbro carb is easy to clean and reassemble. Are your fuel lines molded or just straight tubing? If molded you will need to get OEM fuel lines so there are no minks in the fuel line. No choke and pull it a dozen times to get all the fuel out of the engine. Leave plug out and let it sit for a day of two to dry out.

You want a friend in Washington? Get a dog.
Harry S. Truman
Old 08-04-2017, 05:13 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
If you let it sit with gas in it for a year, it is time to clean the carb. Only use ethanol free gas. Drain tank and run till carb is dry. then store. Make sure to get a fuel filter you said was missing. The Walbro carb is easy to clean and reassemble. Are your fuel lines molded or just straight tubing? If molded you will need to get OEM fuel lines so there are no minks in the fuel line. No choke and pull it a dozen times to get all the fuel out of the engine. Leave plug out and let it sit for a day of two to dry out.
them minks in the fuel line are a pain in the ass, the fur and fluff blocks everything up
Old 08-04-2017, 05:45 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuf345 View Post
them minks in the fuel line are a pain in the ass, the fur and fluff blocks everything up
Especially the ones with kinky hair. Those with soft straight hair are not so bad.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 08-04-2017, 07:35 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
Especially the ones with kinky hair. Those with soft straight hair are not so bad.
The voice of experience

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 08-04-2017, 07:41 PM
Elite Member

Up-date; I think the crankcase must have been about half full of gas. I pulled the carb and when I pulled the rope gas shot out of a small hole from the "head" ? (where the carb attaches) and out the spark plug hole. Turned the saw on end and more ran out. So! Is that little hole some sort of a pressure port that runs a fuel pump in the carb?? If so I think the pump is shot and gas is pouring into the crankcase.
As to leaving gas in the saw, I didn't do that, the son-in-law must have. I'm only here for a month or so every summer and when I go to use a tool I never know what condition it's going to be in. :-)
This is the first time I've ever "been in-to" a chain saw. I use to (30 years ago) cut 2 or 3 cords of wood for a woodburner back in PA with a (what was the brand? it was yellow) saw that never gave me any problems. :-) This summer I'm house sitting in VA while wife, daughter and son-in-law are in Europe. Wanted to do a LOT of brushing in the "east forty" (back yard) and this terrible saw would not co-operate. Oh well only a week more and I'll be on my way to PA.
...lew...
Old 08-04-2017, 08:35 PM

I started using the canned 2stroke fuel a couple of years ago and my fuel problems are gone. Try-fuel 40:1. Can't get E0 here.