Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 01-15-2014, 07:57 PM
That HURT!

Default I need a new bandsaw

I just got a contract to build 3 winch type machines. Most of the fabrication will be steel rect. tube. The largest tube will be 4"x8"x 12ga and there are miter cuts involved.

I'm thinking about an Ellis 1600 or 1800 but I'm open to other suggestions in the same price range of around $3k.

I don't have time to repair an old saw, I need to buy a saw and go to work.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:09 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmack898 View Post
I just got a contract to build 3 winch type machines. Most of the fabrication will be steel rect. tube. The largest tube will be 4"x8"x 12ga and there are miter cuts involved.

I'm thinking about an Ellis 1600 or 1800 but I'm open to other suggestions in the same price range of around $3k.

I don't have time to repair an old saw, I need to buy a saw and go to work.
I have been extremely happy with my Ellis 1600, I do not have a complaint about it.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 01-17-2014, 12:04 PM

I've started to outgrow my Ellis. I feel like its a decent saw for the money but its kind of light duty. My next saw will be a Marvel or similar tilt frame and probably automatic.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:20 PM

Default DoAll AutoFeed Bandsaw

While a portable saw is convenient, the value of a auto-feed bandsaw is that it will pay for itself in time. Auto-feed also frees you to receive 20ft length stock with and segment it on arrival if you dont have room for big stock, that can save you even more cash.

The DoAll is simple to operate and easy to maintain. One man can set it operate and tend another machine while it cuts long lengths (stay in vision & audio range). Used units are available in the price range on ebay - hope location is good. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/doall-horizontal-band-saw
Old 01-17-2014, 12:22 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Auto feed saws are great for machine shop or high volume mfr's but almost useless for the fabricator.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

As I explained over on PM (assume this is same request)....

If your an "doing one of everything" or model shop,
the Roll-in in very usefull, the "baxter verticut" is a canadian
copy, slightly less money.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:39 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Just ordered a new chip brush for my Ellis 1600.

Wisconsin based company and purchases US made components
for manufacturing. Go my saw in 06-07 never had to replace
anything but blades and chip brushes.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:00 PM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
Auto feed saws are great for machine shop or high volume mfr's but almost useless for the fabricator.
I had a friend that opened up a small machine shop in a complex that had about 30 other small machine shops.
Little did he figure most of the shops in the complex started sending all the metal orders to his shop for sawing.

He had a larger 12" or 16" auto saw that did not have much problems sawing 5" solid bars all day long.
There was the people that wanted too be there at time of sawing or just needed something sawed from stock without having to call the metal supplier for a specific size cut and the time wasted waiting .

Some were willing too pay full price for a saw cut just for the convenience of not having to deal with a metal supplier.

Think out of the box when getting a saw, can you get sawing jobs just for the saw.

Last edited by GWIZ; 01-17-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:05 PM
That HURT!

I have a Do All vertical saw and it's a great machine. I looked at used Do All horizontals and most good machines are beyond my budget along with the Roll Ins and most any other industrial band saw.

My shop is out in the sticks and no one knows I'm here so I will not have anyone looking for me do any sawing work for them. I got the contract to build these machines only to raise the start up capital for a different venture. I think the Ellis 1800 will meet my needs and this job will more than pay for it. If I get another order for more of this machine that I'm building, I think the Ellis will work out just fine as most pieces are cut individually, no bundling or multiples of the same part.

I'll be ordering a new 1800 next week, thanks for you advice and suggestions.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:52 PM

Ellis saws are pretty popular in this area. Probably because they're made about 10 miles away in Verona WI. A friend of mine has a couple in his shop and they never seem to wear out. He does a lot of repair work and fabrication so the saws cut everything from aluminum bar to A2 steel tool.

If money is a concern check out some of the used Startrite saws on E Bay. I've had an H175 horizontal/vertical one for a number of years. Parts and service (if you ever need it) are available from Clausing. Mine is a bit smaller than most up for sale right now, but it's great saw for the small fabrication/repair shop. I happened on mine a while back when a production shop was selling off some of their smaller machines. Mine gets used 10 - 15 hrs. a week and works like a charm. Rather than deal with coolant feature I use Ellis bimetal variable pitch dry blades. In over 10 years all I've had to do is clean it, replace blades, and make a few adjustments.