Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 01-04-2019, 09:27 PM
Elite Member

Default DIY video for spindle square

Rod if you think this thread is in wrong section feel free to move it as I was not sure where to put it...

Saw this DIY video on making a spindle square.... I thought it will make a good project for me to do..... although my buddy from PM tells me it's overkill and I don't need it, an that I just need to tram the tables with my single indicator an spindle attachment.

but this just makes since to me and what the heck I just want to try to make one.... so any way I have all the material to make this and will prolly start tomorrow.... I the vid the guy said an armature should take about two hours to make this, but heck, ill be honest its prolly going to take me awhile considering I don't consider my self even close to an armature machinist

And it just seems it will make tarmming the drill press table much faster and easier
So what do you guys think is it a worth while project and useful tool or just not needed overkill and waste of time to make one of these.

the video link is part 1 through 4 but I think you can get the idea from the first part and skip through all the camera talk

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...B&&FORM=VRDGAR

"Sticks And Stones May Break My Bones.... But Whips An Chains Excite Me"

"The best revenge is to be unlike your enemy"
Marcus Aurelius, "Meditation"
Old 01-04-2019, 10:13 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
...although my buddy from PM tells me it's overkill and I don't need it, an that I just need to tram the tables with my single indicator an spindle attachment...
If you don't need to tram the table of your mill very often or you have lots of time then you can certainly get away with a dial indicator. I did it for many years but I finally broke down about a year ago and bought myself one of the "Edge" spindle squares and I'm very happy with it. Makes tramming the table much easier and quicker. There are a lot of tools and gadgets out there that are just "gimmicks" but a spindle square is not one of them. I wouldn't be without it now...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 01-04-2019, 10:36 PM
Auction Addict

I saw one like that and, I too like it. I used my new coaxial to tram my table and it works OK, but I like this one better. I think it is more simple to use. I will be making one in the near future.

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves"

William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783
Old 01-04-2019, 11:04 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I saw one like that and, I too like it. I used my new coaxial to tram my table and it works OK, but I like this one better. I think it is more simple to use. I will be making one in the near future.
Well if I make one and it comes out rite, I have enough aluminum stock material to make two.... I'll make one for you too... you will need to get the two Dial indicators from HF I bought one, On one day and used the 20% off and bought another one the day after and used another 20% off so it came out less than 20 bucks... but they look fairly simple to make...

I do need to go get a couple of 3/16th. bull nose end mills still.... but thought id start on one tomorrow so I'll let yawl know how it comes out....

Old 01-05-2019, 12:16 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Well if I make one and it comes out rite, I have enough aluminum stock material to make two.... I'll make one for you too... you will need to get the two Dial indicators from HF I bought one, On one day and used the 20% off and bought another one the day after and used another 20% off so it came out less than 20 bucks... but they look fairly simple to make...

I do need to go get a couple of 3/16th. bull nose end mills still.... but thought id start on one tomorrow so I'll let yawl know how it comes out....
I already have the two indicators. I had planned on using steel since I have no aluminum. A little heavier but what I have on hand. Also considering a cylinder square build. Nice of you to offer. Let me know if there is anything you need I might have.

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves"

Old 01-05-2019, 07:01 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Also considering a cylinder square build.
Chris..... That is a good idea if you have the means and surface block to test it.
I don't think I would try to make my own cylinder square, I'm just not good enough.
I don't have a granite surface block yet been wanting one not that they are awful expensive or anything...

But there is are allot of tooling, I do need, But will have to come little by little in the future.

Part that sucks is more needs an wants, than time or money.

It doesn't matter if you have a mill or lathe the tool buying an DIY tools making never stops no end to it.

I have a list of things I set a goal for to acquire little by little some ill attempt to make some I'll just buy and allot of it is I'll just have to wait till the right deal for the rite price comes along....

Old 01-05-2019, 07:12 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
If you don't need to tram the table of your mill very often or you have lots of time then you can certainly get away with a dial indicator. I did it for many years but I finally broke down about a year ago and bought myself one of the "Edge" spindle squares and I'm very happy with it. Makes tramming the table much easier and quicker. There are a lot of tools and gadgets out there that are just "gimmicks" but a spindle square is not one of them. I wouldn't be without it now...

Keith....

In your opinion Using fore mentioned materials and directions Is this DIY spindle square worth while. ??

And if made properly should be fairly accurate. ??

Old 01-05-2019, 09:18 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Chris..... That is a good idea if you have the means and surface block to test it.
I don't think I would try to make my own cylinder square, I'm just not good enough.
I don't have a granite surface block yet been wanting one not that they are awful expensive or anything...
Randall,
I have built a spindle square and it is as good as Keith says. I saw his and copied it.
You do not have to be accurate, or good enough In fact if you fucked up enough to put the spindle of the square at 10 degrees off right angle, it would still work fine. It is about zeroing your indicator in one spot, at whatever height, above the table and then tilting or nodding the head to get them both to read the same. The accuracy of the square is dependent on the accuracy of the dial indicators.
This thing can be built with a drill press and still work. But it's easier to do on a mill.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 01-05-2019, 09:58 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:

But there is are allot of tooling, I do need, But will have to come little by little in the future.

Part that sucks is more needs an wants, than time or money.

It doesn't matter if you have a mill or lathe the tool buying an DIY tools making never stops no end to it.

I have a list of things I set a goal for to acquire little by little some ill attempt to make some I'll just buy and allot of it is I'll just have to wait till the right deal for the rite price comes along....
I do have a sort of granite slab. Not certified, but likely good enough for testing.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:29 AM
Elite Member

I made one 3 or 4 years ago ( right after I saw it on the net somewhere ) and after using it a few times it sat in the tool cabinet until I needed one of the dial indicators. The rest of it is still in there but it'll never get used again. :-) I tram the 4 Bridgeports now with a single indicator and a 12 brake disc from a F250 Ford modified a bit. :-) I checked the thickness all the way around and couldn't see any change with a mic. It gives a larger span, especially in the Y axis, and is only a bit longer to do.
...lew...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Scale 6in. for size- .jpg
Views:	38
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	148707   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear Y .jpg
Views:	39
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	148708