Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 01-03-2019, 08:39 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Question Milling machine ?? Jabara ??

I came across a milling machine today a guy wants to do some horse trading on but it...It is "excuse the spelling" but embossed name on base was like "jabara" not particularly spelled that way....as I didn't pay that close attention to the spelling...

It has a Bridgeport J head on it... It looks like a Bridgeport machine but put together from the two different manufacturers.... it looks to be in pretty good shape and comes with a riser for a Bridgeport for the extra height also has a DRO and a hi torque Power feeds.... 1-1/2 hp 3 ph motor all seems to be working fine.
Is it some clone that will adopt Bridgeport parts ? I am assuming it does.....

Am a bit curious have any of you seen anything like this ?

Anyway it was offered to me for an unheard of price..... guy replaced all his older working machines with new more modern machines an equipment...
His shop was an impressive set up....

I don't have room for it my self at the moment and not sure if I can make room for it but if I could wonder if it would be worth having..

Last edited by MetalWolf; 01-03-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:32 AM
Grumpy Bastard

If it is cheap enough, I'd buy it, I would just use a dial indicator and see how much play is in the ways.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 01-06-2019, 01:46 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
If it is cheap enough, I'd buy it, I would just use a dial indicator and see how much play is in the ways.
well I traded for it he made a deal with me on the phone this evening
he wants my old red brick snap-on scanner tool I'm not using figured it was given to me for free an haven't used it in a few years so what the heck rite..
he will move it to my place for me but now I have to figure out where to put it and figure what tools will have to go out side to live as I cant stand to be cramped and I already feel cramped in my shop now as it is...
Old 01-06-2019, 10:02 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
well I traded for it he made a deal with me on the phone this evening
he wants my old red brick snap-on scanner tool I'm not using figured it was given to me for free an haven't used it in a few years so what the heck rite..
he will move it to my place for me but now I have to figure out where to put it and figure what tools will have to go out side to live as I cant stand to be cramped and I already feel cramped in my shop now as it is...
Shop extension is coming now!!!!

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 01-06-2019, 11:51 AM
Elite Member

Sounds like MetalWolf would not be able to work in the GNAP's machine closet. You have to go outside to have the room to change your mind.

Why do I have to press one for English when you're just gonna transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
Old 01-06-2019, 12:33 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm W View Post
Sounds like MetalWolf would not be able to work in the GNAP's machine closet. You have to go outside to have the room to change your mind.
Yep If I can stretch my arms out take two steps forward and two steps either side in the shop I get frustrated and feel closed in... eventually I want a shop for when the time comes and I'm in a power chair I want t o be able to put some mileage on that power chair just from going from tool to tool
Old 01-06-2019, 12:52 PM

Pour you a real quick 8 ft x 8 ft slab to put it on. Keep it covered until you can put up walls. Then you have a new addition to the shop!

I guess that means you won't be coming and getting the one I have?
Old 01-06-2019, 10:33 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gsr View Post
Pour you a real quick 8 ft x 8 ft slab to put it on. Keep it covered until you can put up walls. Then you have a new addition to the shop!

I guess that means you won't be coming and getting the one I have?
well ken you can never have one mill to many, So I'm told...
but I haven't forgot this guy is going to deliver it but was thinking of seeing what he would charge me to go to your place so I can buy yours I found one guy but he wants 600 one way with loading and 400 trip back and I unload
so that's just not affordable for me at the moment....

but I'll be in touch with you as soon as I can get something figured out

but for adding on not gonna happen id rather figure out what I'm keeping and what can live out side first as some stuff I bought over the last 4 years is still sitting in there un used but is useful when you need it just haven't needed some of it yet.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:08 AM

That's cool. It's not going anywhere anytime soon. I'm pretty much out waiting to get a hip replacement. Not able to do much playing in the shop.
Have thought about keeping it and getting it running, just don't know where to put it. Have three lathes, I guess having two mill would be okay, too. Ken
Old 01-07-2019, 11:57 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gsr View Post
I'm pretty much out waiting to get a hip replacement. Not able to do much playing in the shop.
Ken
I hear that I'm contemplating to do or not to do the knee replacements but cant afford the down time but am getting slower an slower and spend less time in shop my self..