Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 09-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Twice the size--half the man

Default Bad battery?

True to form, I paid attention to my 'burb last weekend so now the Bronco's being a jealous nag.

It's got about a 3 year old Duralast (Autozone) battery in it. Highest cranking, deepest reserve, etc. It's oversized to say the least but I hate battery issues. Had the usual corrosion on the connectors about a month ago, so I replaced them with new ends on the cables. Two weeks ago the wife left her lights on while she was in class, long enough to drain the battery. I boosted her off, got it home, and put the truck on the charger for the night.

Last night, the truck wouldn't start. Went to check it out and the cables were corroded extremely badly with "goo". It wasn't the powdery stuff like this thing has done in the past. Cleaned it off with a rag, tightened and wiggled the cables around, and got it cranking again--with plenty of power as normal. Checked it with the meter when we got home and it was showed almost 13v. The ends had already started to goo up again, the positive post is extremely soft like the lead is breaking down?

This morning, truck again wouldn't start. Wiggled the ends again and it cranked right up. So far as I can see, the battery's not leaking anywhere, but the entire top was again covered in goo.

Wife's at work until 4 so I won't have a chance to mess with it until later today, but would like to have some plan of attack to keep the truck cranking.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 09-20-2009, 01:13 PM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

Get a new battery.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:48 PM
More STEAM!!

Don't really know what to tell you. I guess I would take it to a battery store and have them check the battery with a load tester.

Another thing I would replace the complete battery cable. I have never had a lot of success with the replacement cable ends. They will work OK for a while. The corrosion has traveled down the cable under the insulation and when you put the cable end on, the corrosion just comes back to the surface.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:05 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie C View Post

Another thing I would replace the complete battery cable. I have never had a lot of success with the replacement cable ends.
Me too.
Never seen them hold up.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 09-20-2009, 03:11 PM

Sigh. Y'all are just determined to turn this into "work".

I've really never had any luck with them either. New cables it is.

So, any idea what the "goo" is? Can battery acid leech up around the posts? The area around the caps looks clear of the muck...

The battery should still have plenty of warranty left but convincing Autozone it's defective will prove tricky.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 09-20-2009, 05:05 PM
More STEAM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post
Sigh. Y'all are just determined to turn this into "work".

So, any idea what the "goo" is? Can battery acid leech up around the posts? The area around the caps looks clear of the muck...
It is a lot less work to replace the cables than to have to keep running around and jumping the truck.

I don't have an answer at to what the goo is but battery acid can leech up around the post.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

A 3 year old battery is a candidate for replacement no matter what the warranty is. I'd take it to Autozone and let them load test it and install your new battery.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Elite Member

I am with Old Man and Jim-Tx on this one.

If your "ooz" is coming up through the post you have lead that has become pourus and is letting the acid wick up.

Take it back.

Even if it is a warranty that goes down with time, getting a new battery is cheaper than the Tums you will be buying while woundering if you have to go jump the car to get the wife home to cook dinner.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Big Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie C View Post
Another thing I would replace the complete battery cable. I have never had a lot of success with the replacement cable ends. They will work OK for a while. The corrosion has traveled down the cable under the insulation and when you put the cable end on, the corrosion just comes back to the surface.
If you can cut it to reasonably clean cable, and then crimp or solder the end and then use a little heat shrink tube you will be fine
I hate the farmer ends with the clamp bolts
Old 09-20-2009, 07:49 PM

Well, the deed is done. Autozone wasn't so bad, just told them that the battery was leaking all over my truck and the swapped it out without even testing it. Good enough for me.

The cables are a whole different problem. I replaced what I could with the parts on hand to "build" a new set. The corrosion is gone at least, but it looks like an erector set threw up on my battery posts.

I suspect the goo was a mixture of battery acid and old corrosion.

Of course, did I get a "thank you honey!" or a "great, thanks!"?!? No... "Did you set the clock? I've had to do that like, three times!"

Wade's Custom Kydex