Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-13-2022, 09:58 PM
Whitetrash's Avatar
Whitetrash Whitetrash is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Estes Park, CO [Around 8000 Ft. Elv.]
Posts: 4,357
Default

I like your "Special Tool" Get-R-Done I think replacing all the O-Rings will solve your issue with the valve assembly. Certain Tards should not be allowed near anything mechanical. The drain plug issue brings back memories of an idiot that serviced machines for a excavation company I worked for years ago. I did the next scheduled service and had to use my 2' Snapon Breaker bar with a 4Ft cheater to break it loose WTF. I also had an oil filter that defied all normal means of removal. Filter wrench just slipped. Drove a Bigass screw driver through it the filter body just tore loose from the base. Ended up using an air chisel stuck into the holes in the filter base. Probably close to 2 hours to remove an oil filter
__________________
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-14-2022, 07:38 AM
greywynd's Avatar
greywynd greywynd is offline
I can dig it
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wainwright, Alberta
Posts: 6,382
Default

Viton is a better performer at higher temps, but buna is better at low temps. Viton is a slight bit stiffer too, which can be good or bad. Sometimes it makes them harder to assemble, though a little tougher and more damage resistant.

Take a good look in the area where the damaged o-ring was, make sure there isn’t some rust, or a burr or anything that may have lead to the damage.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-14-2022, 07:23 PM
Ironman's Avatar
Ironman Ironman is offline
Iron Modification Investigator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Warburg, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 16,787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Viton is a better performer at higher temps, but buna is better at low temps. Viton is a slight bit stiffer too, which can be good or bad. Sometimes it makes them harder to assemble, though a little tougher and more damage resistant.

Take a good look in the area where the damaged o-ring was, make sure there isn’t some rust, or a burr or anything that may have lead to the damage.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's helpful, Mark. I think I should go with Buna as cold weather is when I am pushing snow.
__________________
Gerry
You got freedom of speech, if you don't say too much.
Aaron Neville.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.

The countries whom the gods would destroy they first make green. Rex Murphy
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-14-2022, 10:19 PM
greywynd's Avatar
greywynd greywynd is offline
I can dig it
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wainwright, Alberta
Posts: 6,382
Default Brake valve issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
That's helpful, Mark. I think I should go with Buna as cold weather is when I am pushing snow.

I don’t recall the temp specs, and we were using them at or above room temps anyway. Some searching should find the lower temp specs for you.

I’m scratching my head on what you can use as an assembly lube. What is the fluid it’s in contact with? Brake fluid or hyd oil?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-15-2022, 08:19 AM
Ironman's Avatar
Ironman Ironman is offline
Iron Modification Investigator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Warburg, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 16,787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
I don’t recall the temp specs, and we were using them at or above room temps anyway. Some searching should find the lower temp specs for you.

I’m scratching my head on what you can use as an assembly lube. What is the fluid it’s in contact with? Brake fluid or hyd oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hyd oil from the transmission. It uses a TGH oil.
__________________
Gerry
You got freedom of speech, if you don't say too much.
Aaron Neville.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.

The countries whom the gods would destroy they first make green. Rex Murphy
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.