Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 04-26-2017, 11:02 PM
Elite Member

Default Oxy/acet accessories

So I finally got an o/a set put together. The tanks will live outside my garage since I have no room to store them inside. I know they make quick open caps for the cylinders, is there anything else available? I was wondering if the gas hoses had quick connects like compressed air systems use. What about for the regulators?
Old 04-26-2017, 11:54 PM

they do make quick disconnects for O+A , I use them for gas for the mig also,
they work like Hyd quick coupplings , in as they close on the both the male and female ends when unplugged.
they come ready to play with right and left hand threaded connections to fit your hoses.

Rich
Old 04-27-2017, 12:27 AM
Elite Member

Well I found some, but they aren't cheap. I ordered 2 pair and will get the Griftan GT-11 cyl caps too. One more thing I can check off the list.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:31 AM
set phasers to .50 caliber

Why the QD caps? You're going to cap them after every use, even though they are secured to the wall or cart? I must admit my cap comes off when I get the cylinder home, and it stays off until the next trip to the supplier.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:27 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
So I finally got an o/a set put together. The tanks will live outside my garage since I have no room to store them inside. I know they make quick open caps for the cylinders, is there anything else available? I was wondering if the gas hoses had quick connects like compressed air systems use. What about for the regulators?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
Why the QD caps? You're going to cap them after every use, even though they are secured to the wall or cart? I must admit my cap comes off when I get the cylinder home, and it stays off until the next trip to the supplier.
I am in the same boat, tanks are stored outside, 1. because of lack of room;
2. I almost never use them in the shop, 98% of the heating and cutting is
done outside. 3. General safety, incase there is a leak it is outside.

I use the quick connects on my hose but just use the regular caps they are
not that slow to remove. My tanks are on a cart so for safety I put the regular
screw on caps back on for safety, just in case the whole cart gets knocked
over.

Attached are the brand/ style I have used for over a decade, I also use them
on my welders for the shielding gas.

I have been very happy with them, they hold up very well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wi25.pdf (172.7 KB, 69 views)

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 04-27-2017, 11:21 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

If the tanks are bolted good to the cart (so they can't break the valve off)
no chains, some carts have a bolted bracket.

Why not just keep the regulators and everything on, and put a bucket over
each one ?
Old 04-27-2017, 01:57 PM
Lord of the Minions

Years ago I found rubberized heavy canvas bags with drawstrings. The bags are large enough to encircle a large Acety tank and will easily cover a good foot down below the valve and/or gage if left in place. So all bottles get covered whether in use or not. I keep about 8 bottles in house at any one time all stored inside the shop.

I don't really have room for the bottles or the two acety sets inside either, but I will not store them outside and will even cover them when inside due to buggage and dirtdobbers.

Bottle storage will find the bttls secured to the wall in a corner which will not allow any to fall over in any way.

The bottles on the two acety carts, one mid/small set and one large, both have chains and a smallish binder to lock cyls into the cart. The bottoms of the bottles do not just sit on the bottom plate of the cart, but sit inside f/b circles I made and fitted to that bottom to lock in the bottoms for use. Nothing can slide and with the large width and length base, I'd have to run over a set with the tractor to knock one or the other over.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-27-2017, 07:09 PM
Elite Member

I want the caps cause it looks like you can lock them with the regulators still attached. That means that i can hook up the QD, unlock, turn on, and burn.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:54 PM
set phasers to .50 caliber

That's where my confusion is. I didn't know it was common for people to take the regulators on and off between usage for cylinders that stay at the shop.

For that matter, I don't know a single plumber or HVAC guy that takes the regulators off our mini tanks in their caddy on the truck, either. And, for that matter, there are no caps for those cylinders anyway, and I keep a spare of each in the Weatherguard box in the back.