Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 01-17-2017, 01:09 AM
Elite Member

Default Electric Pallet Jack

Bought myself a new project, a Yale pj4000.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...ionId=11760570

I pick it up Tuesday!
Old 01-17-2017, 06:17 AM
Standard of Excellence

Nice!
Old 01-17-2017, 11:50 AM
Chairman of the Headboard

Not sure if you have a collection going already, but they are handy as hell to have around, and at $25 whoo hoo !

I think I have 4, non electric/push/pull, 3 crowns, a BT, and I guess maybe I have 5, got a European one too, that is crazy how it works.

I have those even though in the same shop, I have a small gas forklift, still use the pallet jacks.

Im glad I dont have a .gov surplus sale near me, damn would I be in trouble !!!!
Old 01-17-2017, 03:17 PM
Auction Addict

Any known issues with it?

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 01-17-2017, 05:24 PM
Elite Member

Picked it up today, aside from the power block, everything else seems to be good to go!

I didn't have time to tinker too much, but the battery connections were ripped out of the quick connect and the batteries were low on voltage. I will be up at the barn testing it out tomorrow to see if it functions, then I will make a battery for it(if it works).

It was $30 with bidders premium, but the golf cart batteries scrap out for $11 each here($44). They are too dang $$$ to replace for the use it would see at the barn, so car batteries will do fine.

AT the WORST case, I got a nice batt charger, hyd pump and cool drive motor to play with. Gigitty gigitty
Old 01-17-2017, 09:33 PM

When I worked at Kroger I saw a guy take a wall down with one.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:48 PM
Elite Member

It is so simple, you wouldn't think about how dangerous they can be. I have been thinking it would be great to make an attachment to wheel the trailers around. In the barn it will live in, there is 6+ trailers. The lifting and wheeling around part would be great for trailers!
Old 01-18-2017, 06:58 PM
Elite Member

Well the tagout said do not use, will not lift. I applied 24v directly to the lugs of the hyd pump and it lifted. Now I just need to find a pair of car batteries that will fit in the tray and I'll see how she does.

I tried bringing the golf cart batteries back one by one and go figure, the last 2 wouldn't hold a charge.

Last thing, anyone ever see one of these connectors? Its hard to see but between the big lig connection there is a much smaller one, I believe to be low current 12v for the control circuitry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_11852-20170118_1428241484038837.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	137499   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_11852-20170118_144852188368208.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	137500  
Old 01-18-2017, 07:40 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
Well the tagout said do not use, will not lift. I applied 24v directly to the lugs of the hyd pump and it lifted. Now I just need to find a pair of car batteries that will fit in the tray and I'll see how she does.

I tried bringing the golf cart batteries back one by one and go figure, the last 2 wouldn't hold a charge.

Last thing, anyone ever see one of these connectors? Its hard to see but between the big lig connection there is a much smaller one, I believe to be low current 12v for the control circuitry.
Guess the workers that were using it just decided to get rid of it and say it is broke.

I have never seen that exact Battery end, but years ago when my dad was scrapping batteries, we would cut those ends off the bigger forklift batteries and I put one of those under the hood of my truck, and ran some 4 awg wire to the back of the truck and put one of those ends on the back bumper. Then made up a 15' long jumper cables from some 1-0 welding lead and no one could ever borrow my jumper cables!:-).

And it was always funny to back up to someone's car to give them a jump start without having to pop the hood. Having the power run to the back came in real handy when I had a 8000# winch on the trailer to pull up cars and anything else I wanted to load.

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 01-18-2017, 08:15 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post

I expect your are right about the small connector.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson