Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 11-08-2016, 08:36 AM

Question pneumatic cylinders for my gate

hello,

Im looking for pneumatic cylinders for my hand made gate and I was wondering if these cylinders would work http://www.e-pneumatic.com/pneumatic...-iso15552.html ??

Anyone tested them? From what I know they are ISO15552 compilant, but they are made by their company they say it is made from italy materials, and here is my question;

Does anyone know if italy materials are good or cylinders made in italy are good in general?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Ps. english is not my native language so Im sorry for any errors.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:19 AM
Auction Addict

Welcome to the forum. I know nothing about the supplier you linked. What size of gate will it be used on? Just browsing around their website, it appears to me that their products are pretty good. Not up on Euro prices so can't say much about the cost. Not to worry about your English. Many folks born here are no better.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 11-08-2016, 10:12 AM
Elite Member

Sounds like the company that sells them is reputable and customer orientated. I wouldn't suffer from anxiety buying anything from them.

http://www.e-pneumatic.com/about-us/
Old 11-08-2016, 10:50 AM
Something's Fishy ...

pneumatic cylinders on a gate sounds scary to me as the cylinders do not provide linear transfer of air input to motion if there is any friction in the system.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:56 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

I'm with Terry on the question of using air cylinders to operate a gate. Much harder to control flow--you tend to get an on-off "snap" action with air. Real easy for someone to get smacked by the gate when they open it.

Without knowing more about your application it's hard to make further recommendations. I can tell you that there are several good gate operators made in Europe.

Which, by the way, begs the question, where in Europe are you? It's a big place and it's always nice to have a better idea of where someone lives. And yes, your use of English is pretty good. I guarantee you're doing a better job with it than 99.99% of us here would do with your native tongue...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 11-08-2016, 10:31 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

The on/off snap action of air cylinders.....

This reminds me of the shop class at high school. We had a new car hoist and the teacher put his car on it, and proceeded to instruct us all on how to support a car properly on a hoist. Then he leaned on the air valve, and not much happened. Car lifted up 6 inches and quit. So he kept on it, and sent one kid out to see if the air compressor was turned on. All of a sudden there was a thud, as the car shot up into the air and almost became airborne as the hoist hit the limit of its stroke.

The room was pretty silent for a bit, as we all looked at the car slightly cockeyed on the hoist. Then someone said, "How are you going to get it down?"
The teacher decided right then and there to read the instructions....and found there was no oil in the cylinder tank. There is supposed to be a tank full of oil,(right inside the column) and as air pressures up the tank, oil is metered out at a controlled rate and lifts the car cylinder.
That is...if you have oil in the tank

Getting it down took most of the shop class period.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 11-14-2016, 04:23 AM

I'd like to thank everybody for the answers, I've decided I will buy cylinders from them..

I can't really explain how the gate shoud work due to lack of my english skills, but if you bring valve into the table you can control the friction so it won't be like on-off boom closed (you know what I mean right) but what Im going to construct is going to be absolutely safe and to be honest it won't be in place where anyone can access it besides me

Thanks for the kind words too people about my english keeps me going, really ^^ I live in Austria by the way and hello =)
Old 11-14-2016, 10:49 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter221 View Post
I'd like to thank everybody for the answers, I've decided I will buy cylinders from them..

I can't really explain how the gate shoud work due to lack of my english skills, but if you bring valve into the table you can control the friction so it won't be like on-off boom closed (you know what I mean right) but what Im going to construct is going to be absolutely safe and to be honest it won't be in place where anyone can access it besides me

Thanks for the kind words too people about my english keeps me going, really ^^ I live in Austria by the way and hello =)
Post some pics of the install and a video if you can.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 11-14-2016, 10:54 AM
Something's Fishy ...

Make sure that you stay out of rangeof that gate when testing and commissioning it. up grade your insurance as a precaution. and please post pictuires.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter221 View Post
so it won't be like on-off boom closed (you know what I mean right)
Personally - I can think of lots of situations where it would be advantageous to have a gate where I could press a button and it's on-off boom - closed. Inlaws spotted at the end of the drive, travelling salesmen, the neighbours pesky children. Heck with them - if I timed it just right, could be on-off, boom, back onto his yard they fly

Maybe an adjustable throttle valve with settings for daily use and rapid evictions