Name:	fire.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	54036  
Old 12-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyA View Post
I used a two part epoxy fuel tank putty on a friends car once with success. We didn't empty the tank just mashed it in the leak area to press the putty in the hole. It hardens pretty good on its own without applying heat.
It would be worth a try as a first option because you could always grind it off.
Back in the day I weld on my first diesel tank, it was a small 32,000 gallon fuel oil storage tank on my destroyer. Since the tank is normally pressurized and for various other reasons we had to pump it "dry" to get a good weld.

32,000 gallons of fumes and it did not go boom. Later we tried on the fantail to get a scrap tank to explode, we couldn't even when we used oxygen to enrich the DFM fumes. DFM = diesel fuel marine

Now it did explode when we filled it with Oxygen and Acetylene and then used it for .50 cal target practice, but that is another story...

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 12-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Sultan of Scrounge

NAPA sells a two part epoxy tank repair kit that works great. The epoxy sets up and hardens FAST and you can use it on filled tanks. I have used it with great success. It comes with fiberglass cloth if needed.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:24 AM
Drivin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Thank you for all of the suggestions. After reading the response from cramd, I followed his advice. First I put the cup wire brush on the grinder and removed all the paint in the immediate area. I then took a punch and smacked it several times with a hammer in the very small area that it was leaking from. I then wiped the area off and left it for about 20 minutes. To my delightfully surprise after going back out and looking at it, I could see a very small (pin head size) bead of diesel fuel that had escaped. Tomorrow comes part 2. I am going to grow a pair and follow some of what Digr posted and fire up the Trailblazer and dab a little 6011 on it. If it goes boom, I hope it takes me with it because I do not want to be as LW puts it "licking the bus windows". Actually I believe it will work out very well because there should be nothing to ignite. I will let you know how it goes/went......thanks again.
Pat, peening to slow down a leak was a very common method of closing up a crack/pinhole on the natural gas lines that I used to work on (I have seen thousands of welds on live gas lines). The weldor would try to get the leak slowed as much as possible so that the arc wasn't blowing all over the place.As LU47 Dan writes, take away one side of a fire triangle, and flames are impossible to maintain.
Now,that practice has probably been banned in the interest of safety, but as you discovered, it's cheap, and works surprisingly well, as long as you don't thin out the area underneath.Glad to have been of assistance.
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 12-11-2009, 06:13 AM
Lord of the Minions

I've seen and done several myself. Good advice preceeds my post. Nothing more needs to be said except to reinforce the safety needs.

A cousin bought a second hand Versatile with the two huge fuel tanks on either side. The factory seem welds were mostly ground off to make them look pretty and smooth, but the pounding in the fields did little to keep them from splitting and I tired of welding 4 and 5 inch splits every few months. He got tired of losing that much fuel if he didn't pay attention.

We pulled both tanks, cleaned, purged and welded back up dry after cutting out every single inch of those factory welds.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-11-2009, 06:23 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
because I do not want to be as LW puts it "licking the bus windows".
Oh great! I'll get blamed for this too?

Growing a pair is really not in the equation, it's the apprehension and is only due to the self-assuredness that is lacking for the work in which you are about to delve. After you've done a few, the pucker factor lessens to a mild pinch. The pinch stays with you for each and every one done in the future.

Become one with 'the pinch'.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-11-2009, 07:04 AM

Default welding diesel fuel tank

cleaning the area is a good first step prior to welding the tank.You CAN'T blow the tank up with diesel in it,if it was gasoline,you might have a better shot at it.Take a coffee can full of diesel and 'flick' lit matches into it..I bet you can do it all day without setting the diesel on fire.It has to be atomized into finer droplets to get it to burn.Do be cautious,but don't worry welding on your tank.Take a look at this Canadian mechanic..he does this same job with gas in the tank and didn't blow up..http://www.youtube.com/user/davidsfa.../7/tD4KiQEnxwQ
Old 12-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Drivin' Fool

That "mechanic" has more guts than sense. It is one thing to lift the car with that front end loader, but another to work under it with no blocking of any kind.He is relying on one chain of doubtful origin,one set of hydraulics on the loader (which can drop on their own, depending on the state of the seals in the rams), and no safety man on the extinguisher.Not to mention the state of the tie down point on the car for the chain (can you spell "Rust Bucket"?).
No wonder farming is the No.1 most hazardous job in Canada.
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Old 12-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Take a look at this Canadian mechanic..he does this same job with gas in the tank and didn't blow up..http://www.youtube.com/user/davidsfa.../7/tD4KiQEnxwQ
And it won't. The explosive range of gas is in the 12-15% ratio to air mixture.
Not like on TV. Judging by the way the TV thing looks I'd say the fuel is diesel with an incendiary explosive in the tank. This will atomize and mix it with enough air to be worth a video.
I have set up an OA torch tied to a long stick in the old village dump 30 years ago and tried to heat up a gas tank in a car. I shoved it under the tank and ran.
The gas boiled and the vapor poured out the filler cap and blew away in the wind.
No spectacular explosion, a small blaze after the tank cooked down enough and the bottom melted out.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 12-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Something's Fishy ...

not knowing how much fuel was in the tank but knowing how thin those things are I could see a hole spraying burning fuel if he was just a little unlucky.
explosive situations are not worth the risk The car is worth 3-400 dollars if that . Why risk being burned to death when there are passive fixes that work well enough. Like a screw with a neoprene washer on it.