Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 08-05-2005, 10:41 PM

JT or B-Footn can probably list all of the rods for pipe, but I think the most common they use is 6010, 7010, or 8010 None of these rods are lo-hi so they can be run downhill without racing the slag. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.

Jeff
Old 08-06-2005, 02:38 AM
Still on Ritalin

Send a message via Yahoo to texrednek

oh so your sayin they arent runnin low-hy's on the pipeline? I cant believe it, but I know I prolly should. Seems so foreign to me though. Ok well thanks
CHRIS
Old 08-06-2005, 06:32 AM
Yes girls, he's single!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texrednek
oh so your sayin they arent runnin low-hy's on the pipeline? I cant believe it, but I know I prolly should. Seems so foreign to me though. Ok well thanks
CHRIS
Pipeline work is downhill. 6010 (5P+) all the way out around here, but every gas company has their own preference for rods.

Powerhouse piping, (chilled/ hot water) is uphill, 7018 rods.

Doesn't matter to me which way to run, but I do prefer downhill.
Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and shouting WOW...what a ride
Old 08-06-2005, 09:56 AM

Default Just found this thread, and

going back to post #1. Yes local 638 was always an uphand only local till about 15 years ago when one job in the bronx was speced out for downhand on the underground piping. A lot of out-of towners got a crack at that job due to the lack of local guys that could pass a X-ray test going down. At present the apprentice school is still only teaching uphand and it's still the standard in the big apple. Now myself, off the record, I picked up on downhand from a boomer in the late 70s. Most times My pipe welds were a mixture of both down and uphand on the same joint. Root and flush out passes down with 6010 and the cap with 7018 up. The joints shot good and no *****in from the other welders that still hold to the uphand only thinking. Me and my son still go head to head on this one, but even with all his certs. all he was taught was up. But he's young and will learn it's much nicer to put out a good weld in a heavy demin shirt than suiting up in leathers all the time
Old 08-06-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Hold the phone!!!

On my drive back from the depot I think I figured out the whole up and down thing. My local was founded in 1884 and most if not all piping was screw, and weird sizes too. When the welding started, what was it? It was gas welding which I still saw being done in the field in the early 70s. Gas welding pipe is done uphand so when electric arc welding started the welders who were taught the gas way kept on going up. Sound about right?
Old 03-25-2008, 12:31 PM

yeah, it was to keep the sparks from burning his arm , its a welding sleeve
Old 03-25-2008, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Down hand

I've been welding for 25 years and i've done both downhand welding and up hand , i do both the same way by dragging the root bean in , most people whip it uphand and drag it downhand , try dragging it uphand , you will be supprised how easy it is and it looks the same as downhand.

I like downhand 6010 5p+++ and 7018 uphand , my fav is pipeline 6010 5p+++
downhand and Hippy hotpass and cap
Old 10-09-2008, 03:10 AM

Default I was a tank builder

I was a tank builder most of my 30 years working as a welder and i really like this thread. I'v built and repaired tanks from 4' diameter to a couple of 347' diameter. We used to weld sheets 3/8 and less downhill 6010 and 3/8 and thicker with a root of 6010 then uphill 7018. Now most everything is 7018 up. On one job ( 347' ) the company made us weld everything with 1/8 7018 and the tub ring was 2"thick and 10' high, talk about taking a long time to complete a vert.When i started tanks in 1975, every company paid peice work ( paid by the foot of weld) and i couldn't keep up, but as i learned more from the better welders i started to make more footage (and more money ) then when i got pretty good at it, most companies quit paying peice work.
On plate, you weldup the outside complete then go to the other side and back gouge with an arcgouge to get in to good weld then weld up the inside, ready for x-ray.
Tub ring gets 3 pictures every vert, one near bottom, one at top and one in between. When next ring is added the top junction will get a x-ray also. As the tank gets higher the uper rings require less x-rays per ring. Oh, i forgot to tellyou but every ring gets thinner.
I tried to just work shutdowns and turnarounds the last 5 years before i retired, chased them all over, from Wy. to Va. and while never the best, was far from the worst welder on the job. I wish i hadn't had to retired, i really miss it.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycpipewelder View Post
in my experience and talking to pipeliners across the nation downhand welding gives better penetration and can be just as strong and more efficient than uphand.

is downhand just as good as uphand?
If you are referring to electrode traveling down vs electrode traveling down ,I can tell you that that vertical up is often specified in higher quality jobs, X-ray standard for example .That alone should indicate something to you.

Many relate to the fact that electrodes can be often successfully used vertical down in root gap work and wrongly think that it is ok to do the same for fillet or butt fill. Not so!

Traveling down means that the arc must travel quickly or be overrun by the flux cover that is still molten.If the electrode rate of travel is slowed for penetration , the result often is a flux inclusion.

I fully applaud the union in maintaining an excellent standard when others in our industry wish to dilute the skill base. This work is not suited for everyone and standards must not be relaxed to suit those who don't wish to make the effort to gain those skills necessary to reach the set standards..

I freely acknowledge ,that while I am from another country my knowledge of your industry will be different in places, but having welded for the last forty years -twenty five of them as a Technical colledge instructor and certified in all arc processes of my country's Pressure vessel standard, I do know of what I speak.

If our young tradespeople don't take on continuous improvement in skills of all trades we won't have any thing to combat the Chinese problem with.
At the moment, I believe , its one of few positives we all still have have.

thats my 2 cents worth

Ozwelder