Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 04-24-2009, 10:59 PM
Curmudgeon

Gary, I don't know if this applies or not but you might read & apply it to see if it helps.

Nick the Steel

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 04-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Alas, my bottles are almost to the re-fill point and there are no shops open on the weekends.
I would hazard a guess that having a tad more 02 might make all the difference in the world, considering that your tip is clean and functioning as it should.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-24-2009, 11:20 PM

Thanks Cutter. I'm not having trouble getting the edge hot.
I think you are ABSOLUTELY right Hiway... again... I actually think I may have it solved.
To make a very long 14 year old story short, I think we had the oxygen component of the torch set up backwards. I re-read the Victor set up manual and we had the oxygen on the torch body just cut open and the pre-heat oxygen all the way open. Victor says to do it the other way around and it makes sense.

When #1 son and I learned a few weeks ago I let him have all the glory with my buddy who was teaching us. We cut with the torch set up the way my buddy showed my son that day.

When we got home #1 son swore up and down that the torch should be set up the way we've been trying it. I thought it was backwards but gave him the nod of confidence. I could not see that in this particular case anything REALLY bad could happen one way or another.

This is part of my "give him enough slack to learn and take responsibility and try to gain confidence and develop some maturity without blowing anything up" thing... Apparently he/we still have a ways to go... It's really interesting to try and learn something new WITH your kids...

I have enough gas in the tanks to give it another couple quick tries tomorrow and then we'll have to call it quits until next Friday.

Thanks again.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:43 PM
Project Phoenix

I think you're trying to say the oxygen knob on the handle wasn't cranked all the way open, allowing the oxygen to be set using the knob on the cutting head ?

Millermatic 200 w/ SKP-35 Spot Pulse Weld Panel, Tweco MIG-GUN #2, running ER70S-6 .035 wire on CO2, Spoolmatic 1 Spool Gun
Old 04-25-2009, 12:24 AM
Curmudgeon

I do believe you got it, Gary.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 04-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Lord of the Minions

My mention of patience Gary is/was partly due to knowing/seeing first hand the shape my "used to be loaned out tools" would look like or work once they came home. It seems that a borrowed piece of equipment would suffer more from 15 minutes of use over the keeping of several days.

Setting your torch for use is not that big of deal, setting your torch flame to each sized tip to better match the material to be sliced is the reasons for trying. Keeping things set for the application allows most/some negation of the drose on the backside of your cut, thus shortening the cleanup time after the cut is completed.

I can also tell you with much authority and past experience that you would probably not find two members here that would set the torch, hold the torch or use the torch in exactly the same way.

It's more of a "what works for the individual" sort of way, each slightly deviating from specifics. As long as your safe, the equipment is used safely and set up safely and you get a handle on the process, again it's back to the 'what works best for you'.

These toys sure get expensive as you add space for more, don't it?

If you catch any work Joey, KoO, does with his torch, make note that his hand torch for day to day piddling is about 4' long. That would make your neighbors nervous for sure.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-25-2009, 10:00 AM
More STEAM!!

If you were doing the set up as you described in the one post with the Ox than I think you have found your problem.
Is it not amazing how the small stuff will jump and and bite you.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Harbor Freight Backslider

Quote:
Originally Posted by garythenuke View Post
Thanks Cutter. I'm not having trouble getting the edge hot.
I think you are ABSOLUTELY right Hiway... again... I actually think I may have it solved.
To make a very long 14 year old story short, I think we had the oxygen component of the torch set up backwards. I re-read the Victor set up manual and we had the oxygen on the torch body just cut open and the pre-heat oxygen all the way open. Victor says to do it the other way around and it makes sense.
When #1 son and I learned a few weeks ago I let him have all the glory with my buddy who was teaching us. We cut with the torch set up the way my buddy showed my son that day.

When we got home #1 son swore up and down that the torch should be set up the way we've been trying it. I thought it was backwards but gave him the nod of confidence. I could not see that in this particular case anything REALLY bad could happen one way or another.

This is part of my "give him enough slack to learn and take responsibility and try to gain confidence and develop some maturity without blowing anything up" thing... Apparently he/we still have a ways to go... It's really interesting to try and learn something new WITH your kids...

I have enough gas in the tanks to give it another couple quick tries tomorrow and then we'll have to call it quits until next Friday.

Thanks again.
There you go. The 02 valve on the torch wide open. preheat is regulated with the valve on the cutting head!! Everything is a learning experience.
But still keep your tip clean. It gets fouled up quickly when you're learing to cut. A clean tip makes a big difference in cut quality.

How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of.
???'?? ???'?
Old 04-25-2009, 12:23 PM

Hey Gang,
I am a steel cutting MACHINE!!!

It worked perfectly just like I knew it should. Thank you everyone for your support and patience.

And, yes, it is getting expensive. I'm toying with the idea of getting a second set of tanks so that when I run out on a weekend (which Murphy probably prefers) I can keep going....

Also, I noticed that the cutting orifice looks a little out of round. Did I get too close to the material? How "out of whack" can I let it get before I have to replace it?

Thanks again.
Gary
Old 04-25-2009, 01:59 PM
trust but verify

We replace tips when they quit performing properly after cleaning.

We keep a few around to swap out (welding students are hard on equipment) so there is no interruption.

Consumables are like toilet paper. You know you will need them, and if you run out you'll have a problem on your hands!