Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 04-24-2009, 07:56 PM

Default Oxy/Acet not cutting

A few weeks ago I bought a new torch set and hooked them up to my bottles. I have the Victor torch set. My tip is the 03-00 I think. ANYWAY.... Last week I was cutting 1/4 inch steel like there was no tomorrow. The last two day I cannot get it to cut.
I have the same bottles, same regulators set at the same pressures (20-ox and 5 acet) and all I get is black soot on the metal and the cut fills itself back in. I still have 400# in the oxygen bottle and about #100 in the acetylene bottle.
I turn up the fuel until the black smoke stops and then a tad more, then cut in the oxygen until I get a ring of nice sharp little inner cones. I preheat like normal and the steel starts to melt. When I apply the cutting oxygen I go through the metal but as soon as I start to move it closes in right behind me. I try going faster, then slower, but it's all the same.

Very frustrating. I know I am missing something simple and I'm a bonehead. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong...

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:01 PM
7.5 Fingers

Send a message via AIM to migwelder05

try turning the torch at about a 15 degree angel in the direction your cutting.

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence."
Old 04-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Over the Top

Gary,
In the "tips and tricks" section there is a link to a great post on how to setup your oxy/Acet by Digr.

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?p=78201

CEC
Old 04-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Harbor Freight Backslider

Sounds to me like you need to clean your tip. Do you have any tip cleaners?
With a clean tip you should see a nice parallel flame in the cutting jet when you apply the oxygen with the lever.

How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of.
???'?? ???'?
Old 04-24-2009, 08:44 PM

Awesome help guys. Thanks.
I do have tip cleaners and I tried that. Though I just found the smallest one that would fit in the holes. I didn't have the patience to find the exact right size. I kept the O2 flowing a little to blow out any mung from the holes.
I'll check out that tips and tricks link for sure. I tried every angle configuration I could think of, but I'll give it all another try.

THANK YOU
Old 04-24-2009, 09:20 PM

Well I gave it another try with the gas bumped up to 25/7. I got through the steel but it is no where near "cut". It is just melted. The edges look like gray globules of CRAP. I tried starting a little earlier, rather than letting the steel get so hot, but all I got were flames along the surface of the steel rather than a cut through. I'm done for the night. I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks again for the help.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:31 PM
Trailers for sale or rent

Are you sure it's mild steel that you are trying to cut?
Old 04-24-2009, 09:51 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I didn't have the patience to find the exact right size.
Not to state the obvious, but when your dealing with a new found hobby/technology, it's imperative to find that missing patience and keep it handy lest you lose body parts of previously functioning senses. You can get in a bind real quick by not following safety and those pre-set reasons for doing certain things, a certain way.

As asked prior, are you cutting the same material? Are have you picked up some of this unobtainium bed frame material, low grade s/s etc etc?????

If you have good flow out of the tips cutting port and your able to aptly mix the 02/Acet, you should be able to cut the steel/metal, if that metal will let you oxidize it.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:58 PM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

Look to make sure the hole in the middle is round. Is something stopped up? Turn the oxygen up to 40 and acetylene to 10. If that don't clean it something somewhere is stopped up.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:00 PM

I actually thought that perhaps I wasn't cutting the same material. So I tried re-cutting one of the peices I happened to keep from a few weeks ago. Still won't work. Alas, my bottles are almost to the re-fill point and there are no shops open on the weekends. I'll give it another quick try tomorrow then it will have to wait until I can HOPEFULLY get off work early enough to make it to the gas shop before they close next Friday.

Pretty Bummed

I know what you mean about patience Hiway... I got close to the right size of the cleaning tips, I just did not thumb through each one until I got the exact right one. I was maybe one size small. ON the big stuff I am VERY cautious. I have a very healthy respect for compressed gasses and hot things.