Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 04-21-2009, 07:47 PM

Default Welding helmet review

Well, I finally bought myself a new auto darkening helmet for here at the farm. I got tired of fighting w/ my old cheap one I bought through my tech school 8 years ago. My new one is a Lincoln Vista 3000. It's got a variable shade from 9-13, but no shade 11. Maybe you don't need 11, but that's the shade I use most on my Speedglass. Lense size is, according the the literature 3 7/8"x 3 1/8". It has a "grind" mode, a TIG mode which keeps it dark the whole time welding, regardless of whether or not you've got a direct view of the arc, and a fast and slow setting for darkening. It's also completely solar, so no on/off or battery. That's also something I'll have to get used to. I used it for maybe 20 minutes of welding tonight was fairly impressed.

Pros:
1. Good quality headgear. Plenty of adjustment for up and down, 5 postions for where it sits when flipped down, and the ratcheting part is pretty solid.
2. The clarity is awsome. I honestly think the clarity is better than my Speedglass, which is saying something and part of the reason I haven't bought a new helmet for so long.
3. Lghtweight. It's not quite as light as a Speedglass, but it's light enough, and very comfortable.

Cons:
1. It has an inner lense plate, like most helmets. Problem is, and maybe pic# 3 shows it, that lense plate covers the buttons for the controls. You have to slide the piece up about 3/8" to get access to them. Maybe with age this'll get easier, but right now it's hard push up, and harder to push it down.
2. Helmet won't stay up at halfway point. The helmet locks when it's tilted all the way back, but anywhere in between and it eventually falls down. Not a big deal, but kind of annoying.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFC0107.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	44882   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFC0109.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	44883   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCFC0110.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	44884  

"Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved." William Jennings Bryan
Old 04-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Curmudgeon

From the front it looks like the St Louie Rams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trukfan View Post
buttons for the controls. You have to slide the piece up about 3/8" to get access to them.
That's just plain weird.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 04-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Spinner of Wood

Price? Think it will fit a size 8 mellon? I'm not too pleased with the Speedglass. Thankfully it was free.

http://www.ibrbsantas.org/
Old 04-21-2009, 09:05 PM

Pumpertruck, on the Lincoln website the MSRP is $300. I paid $280, which included the purchase price and tax. I got it off ebay from from a company called Weldfabulous.com, based out of Winona MN. I also got free shipping on it, which saved $12-$15. Looking at their website, they sell all kinds of welding supplies. I would think it would fit your head. It's got quite a few adjustments slots across the top of the headgear, plus some on the side near where you adjsut the height of the helmet relative to your face.

"Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved." William Jennings Bryan
Old 04-21-2009, 09:12 PM

Cutter, I thought so too. The only reason I can see for the controls being covered is b/c the buttons are pretty sensitive. Maybe they think spatter will royally screw w/ them. I may try to trim some off the lense, just to give me some relief so I can get my big fingers in there a little better.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Trailers for sale or rent

That's to keep you from spittin' chew tobacco on 'em by accident.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:21 PM

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to weld a whole lot w/ the helmet in the past week. I did however modify the inner cover lense so it's not quite so hard to adjust the settings. Since the lens is your common 5 1/4"x 4 1/2" size, I'm not too worried if my mod doesn't work. Basically, I just cut 3/4" off the bottom of the lens with a razor knife. Now, when I slide all the way up to where it used to ride, I have total acces to the buttoms. The lense comes down far enough to cover the lettes/numbers denoting the shades and different modes. Pics coming soon.