Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 04-21-2009, 12:44 PM

Default Hobart Hefty cc/cv welder ??

Any one have experience with one?

I have the opportunity to trade for one but I cannot find out any thing about it. It looks like Hobart quit making it. I cannot find a manual to tell me how the cc/cv operations work (new to me). I cannot find out the amp range, etc....

Anything to say about it good or bad?
Old 04-21-2009, 04:28 PM

I have used one, its a wire feeder similar to an LN-25. It needs a power source, CV is the only thing that really works with it.

David
Old 04-22-2009, 07:44 AM

I would run in off my Bobcat. If it was cheap (like trade an old weldpac 100 for it), would you snatch it?
Old 04-22-2009, 06:05 PM

Yup

David
Old 04-29-2009, 09:10 AM
Railmen

I have one that I run off a TB302 with no problems at all

I have put close to 100-125LBS of wire through mine and never had a problem.

When i worked for GE fixing railcars we had them run'm off of bobcats to Lincoln SA200 to Big Blue 400's never a problem, mostly 1/16 wire.

Then got laid off there and one if the guys that worked there started his own railcar repair shop and i held him get it going and worked there for almost 5 years, so after he got going I talk him into getting some wire feeders again. We ordered brand new Miller (i think it was) the SP32 VS anyway there was no way in hell I could get them to weld right, tried and tried no way would they get it, so we called me LWS and the man that we got them from came down and i showed him he had no clue on what might be causing this, so next step was to call in the Miller rep for South Western Ontario he came i explained everything to him that i thought on how it should be set up and what wire and gas and all the nice stuff.

His answer was "well you seem to know this stuff inside out and know more ways to set it up, if you can't get it working to your satisfaction bring them back cause they are not going to work for you."

So i returned them the next day went to the local rental place i knew they had Hefty CC/CV feeder went and rented one, with in about 1 min of welding i had it welding perfect.... went back and bought 3 more that day.

As far as I know that welding shop is still using them today that was 1998 i bought those for that shop.

Now as far as the newer Miller feeders i can not comment on them i have not run one yet??

Railmen $.02
Old 04-29-2009, 10:06 AM

Thanks guys.

I ran one test bead off of his machine and loaded it up. Traded strait accross for an old miller weldpac 100 that I hadn't used in years.

I still havn't run it on my bobcat but it will get its turn soon.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:47 PM

You won't be sorry

Ive had mine for about 4 years now and love it. Ran it off a Hobart 303 first and running it now off the Miller Big 40. I have a owner/parts manual for mine, should be close to the same as yours, if I get a chance I will scan it and send you a copy.

James

SAGO MINE TRAGEDY
WE WILL NEVER FORGET
1-2-06