Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 04-14-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calweld View Post
Gary,,,,

First off,,,, I gotta ask,,,, is this for you or your son???? If it's for your son,,,, isn't it better,,, If HE does the research? Properly guided, of course???
I will mention,,, the Coalinga JC for years, has had the rep for having one of the best diesel tech curriculums around. Not sure how true that is today,,,, but it could be an indicator of the importance the college puts on industrial arts.

If you wish,,,, I can put you in touch with one of the owners of a very good-sized fab/hydraulic business near me, graduated from Cal Poly back in the 60's, still involved as a director/advisor to the ag engineering program down there. My experience was, most of the professors and teachers would be more than happy to give a little bit of their time, for advice to a young person, if they thought it would help.

Again,,,, if it's for your son,,,, be sure it's really what he wants!!!!! I've had this experience before,,,, teaching and mentoring, some youngster,,,, find out he had no interest,,,, it was the parents that wanted the kid to learn. Not good enough,,,,, wasted my time and his time.
You are absolutely and completely correct with everything you've written. I could not agree more. I am preparing from behind the scenes with absolutely zero pressure intended.
It is indeed for my son, and I am trying to gather information to properly guide him if he decides that this is for him. If I have enough information to answer his questions I can encourage him to take it seriously if it is indeed what he wants to do. If he knows that there are possibilities out there he will be more likely to start researching on his own.

I had no idea about Coalinga JC. I will look into them. I have a friend who went there as a matter of fact. He did not much like living in the area, but I think his education was pretty good.

Cal Poly would be a dream if he expressed the interest and was able to get accepted. At some point being in contact with your Cal Poly grad aquaintance would be wonderful, and I will gladly take you up on it.

I have a good amount of time before this all comes to a head. We have to get past the California High School Graduation Test thing first anyway...Rest assured, I too have traveled down the road of too much enthusiasm only to get burned in the end. I am just preloading the chute in anticipation of his interest.

Plus, I love geeking out like this... I know I warned y'all in my intro.

Last edited by garythenuke; 04-14-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Harbor Freight Backslider

I had a friend that took Heavy Equipment operation at West Hills. Although things have probably changed a bit in thirty some years.

How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of.
???'?? ???'?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:46 PM

I can imagine things would change. Though a program still in existence after 30 years would speak volumes...