Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 04-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Standard of Excellence

Default Poor performance from my MM200

I have this MM200 that I swapped for my MM185 for the higher amp output a while back. It seemed to weld fine on thin tubing, but when I welded 1/4" and up it didn't weld well at all, lots of spatter, irregular wire feeding, poor penetration, etc. I also switched to CO2 at the same time due to needing a fill and they wanted $75 for a c-25 fill. I thought part of it was the CO2, and me not being used to it. I just finished a large project and decided it was time to figure it out.
I removed the covers and removed/brushed the big wire terminals as well as the chassis ground wire and input wire terminals. I wire brushed the contacts on the voltage tap switch, these were, I suspect a part of the issue as they were not bright by any stretch. I also cleaned the contact the rides on them. I the disassembled the contactor to look at the contacts and was amazed by the amount of corrosion on them and that they were still working. Cleaned them off with sand paper but wonder now if I should find a points file to use on them, we'll see. I also switched to .030 wire for a lighter gauge job I am doing next. I also switched wire brands from the house brands at Praxair to and spool of Lincoln L-56. The results were spectacular. It welds so much better now, I only wish I had done these things one at a time to see what really did the trick. I guess when they say in the manual to do these sort of maintenance issues once or twice a year I should perhaps look into it. As it is I am sure they have not been looked at for 20 years so I suppose it is impressive that it welded at all.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Grumpy Bastard

It is the CO2. I hate welding with the shit. I am sure someone will follow me
up and say it is not but I have never seen a CO2 weld I liked.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 04-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder View Post
It is the CO2. I hate welding with the shit.
I'm finding the same thing with my little welder - the HH135 won't run a bead with CO2. It just sputters.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 04-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Urban Gunfighter

Something else I have found is that it is import to use some solvent and clean the wire drive rollers. The last two welders I bought recently had bad sputtering problems. I ended up cleaning the rollers with brake clean and a rag, and they fed like champs after that...

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 04-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Director: Fish Seduction

I'll be the "someone". I like it, a lot. The extra penetration is the main selling point for me. C25 is still cleaner, and that's what I'm using now.

At the same time though, I refuse to buy another roll of Lincoln wire.

In any case, I'm glad it looks like you got your machine straightened out with all the little changes. Doesn't really matter which one worked, so long as it did.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 04-02-2009, 12:43 AM
Project Phoenix

+1 on the CO2, its what I learned on and every employer that has paid me to weld uses it too.

Millermatic 200 w/ SKP-35 Spot Pulse Weld Panel, Tweco MIG-GUN #2, running ER70S-6 .035 wire on CO2, Spoolmatic 1 Spool Gun
Old 04-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Boiler God

I was at the LWS supplier today, at 110 cuft cylinder of CO2 was about $17 and a 110 cuft bottle of 75/25 was $21, both prices are with an exchange of bottles. With only a $4 difference between the two, I see no reason to buy CO2. I hate welding with CO2, and use it only when welding with Lincoln Outershield wire that specifies CO2 shielding gas. I only use the 75/25 on the MM180, as I use 90/10 on the MM350P.

I usually run Lincoln L-56, and have for years, I had a bad roll last year the the LWS exchanged, and the rolls since then have been fine.

Jack
Old 04-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
I was at the LWS supplier today, at 110 cuft cylinder of CO2 was about $17

Sold by the lb

1lb= 8.74CF

Conversion of a 110cf bottle would be 12.58lb bottle of Co2
Spoolmate 100
SO 2020 Bender
Miller 125c Plasma
TA 185
Old 04-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Boiler God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post

Sold by the lb

1lb= 8.74CF

Conversion of a 110cf bottle would be 12.58lb bottle of Co2
Ed,

I'm just going by the quote the LWS gave me, the cost difference between 110 cuft of CO2 vs 110 cuft of 75/25. And it was $17 for the CO2 and $21 for the 75/25.

jack
Old 04-02-2009, 09:36 PM

Walker - I also have a MM200. According to the Techs at Miller, it is one of the best welders they ever built.

They told me the MM200 may lose some power over time. If you notice that you have to weld in a higher setting than you used to, it can be caused from the capacitor bank getting weak. At some point you may have to replace the set of 6 or 8 (I don't remember) capacitors. Other than that it sounds like you have already done the other things they told me to watch for.

Around my parts, they still bring good money. The last two I saw sold for $900 and $1000. Still a lot of demand for these machines.