Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 03-22-2009, 06:52 AM
Grumpy Bastard

The cheapy spoolguns are $400-500 new and the good spool guns are $1000-1200. That spoolgun adds alot of value.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 03-22-2009, 01:47 PM

The Magnum SG lists for $708.00 at the lincoln site.

That machine will do spray with the right gas, but the gun won't hold up to the heat. I would use .030 or .035 in it. I always had .035 in mine till I got a bigger machine, then I went to .030.

It will do most anything you want. Its got some balls.

For the fan on demand, I recommend leave the machine on till the fan stops running before shutting the machine off. It doesn't come on unless you are working it pretty good. Windings are part copper, part aluminum.

Settings in the door are spot on. I have run MANY 33 and 44 lb spools through mine. Still have the original gun, but been through a few liners. I never ran .023 because I have an SP100.

Spoolgun will have plenty of power for aluminum.

I moved up to a V350 Pro and LN9-GMA or I would be still using the wirematic.

David
Old 03-23-2009, 08:28 AM
Cranky Crustacean

That's all good to know--- I've got quite a few rolls of .035 I got a deal on and I don't have to worry about running smaller wire..the HH140 will be fine for that.

This is more machine than I really needed,but it was too good a deal to pass on. I was planning on getting a HH187 for a 220v unit which would have been fine for me in a wire feed.

This way I'll never feel like I'm running short on power or ability....anything this baby can't do for me I should have been using the stick in the first place. The spool gun is just what we call "Lagniappe" (lan yap) in Louisiana ---A little something extra!

I probably wouldn't have bought it as a new accessory,just couldn't justify the cost,but I'll utilize it and it'll probably expand what I try to do or can do I'm sure.

I appreciate your feedback on the machine itself ....it'll be helpful... Thanks

Last edited by mudbug; 03-24-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:27 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

Run small wire in the 140 and leave 035 in the 255. The 255 doesn't have a big fan club but I never had an issue with mine, very reliable. I believe I did put a liner in but it was something I screwed up. Clean the shavings that accumulate behind the diffuser, remove it from the gun, run a tip cleaner thru it. As I recall I did fix some contact in the gun but it was minor. I don't run the snot out of mine but had it at least 15 yrs, still works as good as when it was new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	welder group 2.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	43742  
Old 03-24-2009, 03:06 AM
Cranky Crustacean

I've read some of your older postings about your satisfaction with the WM255...they were good to hear. The only difference I see is the one I've got has the spool gun adapter panel mounted into the lower portion of the unit in the front panel across the bottom.

I picked it up today and got it to the shop(safely),but as I started to put a plug on it I noticed it had a 10/4 power cord and one of the wires wasn't connected. I'm pretty sure it only needed a 10/3 or 8/3 power cord(and they just used a 10/4 cord),but before I do anything else I'm going to check with the PO about the power connections and of course he was out of pocket this afternoon. I was busy anyway.

I still have to ID the spool gun(there were two models) and print that manual so I can figure out those connections.The connections are simple except where the main power ring connector attaches...can't see exactly where that goes yet and without the correct manual,I'd be guessing.

I think this is the best of the two spool guns (it's got the control in the handle) and it has the spool gun panel adapter mounted into the units lower panel.There are two gas feeds into the back (one for each gun or two types of gas)and both the standard gun and the spool gun can be connected at the same time all the time. You just flip a toggle switch to pick the gun in use since the spool gun has it's own hookups....pretty nifty.There was a spool gun holder attached to the side/top of the unit at one time,although it was removed the mounting holes are still there.

I may get a much longer power cord, perhaps 20' or so. The one on it is probably only 8' .

When I picked it up there was a bag full of tips,connectors,nozzles,& misc. stuff setting on top of the machine...this just keeps getting better & better.I would have taken some pics today but it was overcast by the time I got around to moving it and it is supposed to be stormy all week long so it may be Saturday before I get some visible pics to post.

The standard mig gun must be an upgrade unit also...it's 15'-16' long (not 12')while the spool gun connection is 25' long...... I'm not going to know how to act with all that reach and not having to stay quite so close to the machine all the time-- I'm not going to complain.

Question?--- What is that cabinet to the right of the Lincoln?...The one with the stool? setting in the upper part of the cabinet. At first I thought it was some sort of blast cabinet,but no door on it threw me and it's too tall anyway.

Last edited by mudbug; 03-24-2009 at 03:12 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:24 AM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

The cabinet is a welding booth exhausted to the outside. Mainly for a bit of stick welding in the winter, training etc. You could use a meter to check the wiring on the cord for your machine. There is a Lincoln SP that sits to the right that serves the bench.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	weld booth 3.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	43751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Welder group 3.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	43752  
Old 03-24-2009, 06:37 PM

One hose is for the spool gun, one for the mig welder. I have the same lower panel. Your spool gun should say right on it "Magnum SG" Its a nice gun. I had some trouble in the beginning with the spools tightening the pressure screw. It turns the same way as the spool so I put a few drops of Blue Locktite on it and had no more problems.

I dropped mine right on the handle once and had to replace the wire speed pot. Oops! I replaced the 10K ohm pot with a 1K pot for better resolution.

Spool gun is nice to jump into a dump body or work in odd places the regular whip won't reach. Its also nice to keep a few different sizes of wire for it. Not much to invest in 2 lb spools. The drive roll that comes with it covers all sizes from .023 right up to 1/16" aluminum.

You can tweak the wire speed while welding which is handy if you are welding in more than one position.

David

Last edited by David R; 03-24-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Cranky Crustacean

Thanks David---Good info.

I'm waiting for verification from Lincoln about how to ID the SG I have and which manual is correct for it. The manual for the hookups of the SG direct you to a Control Module that's seperate from the welder while this control module is mounted into the welder case itself like yours. I'd be guessing about where the power wire for the SG connects,so I'll just wait til Lincoln gets back with the correct manual link.

I need to run another power feed line for this welder(50A) I was going to change the breakers to the 220V circuit I use for the plasma cutter,but then I'd be without the plasma. The meter base has a switch box attached that uses the old dual cardboard fuses with a blade type lever which I may pirate specifically for the two 220v welders since they both require 50A.

This is a temp fix since I've got 3-4 new 125-200A panel boxes that I intend to use to rewire this shop (and no round-tuit yet) but that will have to wait since I haven't the time right now to move the entire meter base and rewire things right now like I planned. It keeps raining off & on and the outside box is under the drip edge of the building overhang(the box is dry,but standing there I wouldn't be) and I don't like wiring anyway--:evil:
Old 03-25-2009, 08:22 PM

Does it look like this?

Name:	00002139.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	43811

I found it here

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...eet.aspx?p=578
Old 03-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Cranky Crustacean

That's the current model of the same gun.... I think this is the gun I've got http://content.lincolnelectric.com//...r/im/IM408.pdf It may be yours as well. There is another pdf file on a similar unit code# IM370.

Lincoln replied to my email questions just before they closed today and it wasn't much help---I'll "call" tomorrow and find the answers for sure.

The installation instructions refer you to another manual that describes installation of the control panel module and attachment of the spool gun. That's the manual I want from Lincoln.

The control panel module must be a unit specific module for the Wire-Matic machines.... The newer Power-Matic's also list a similar control panel that's mounted into the machines as well.

The K488 is a Control module but it's a hand carried unit that the spool gun attaches to and it is then connected to whatever machine is compatable for use of the spool gun.

The person at Lincoln sent me a file she referred to as a L9696 file but it was so large all I could see was the very center of the file--LOL--and no way to reduce it to view it. I'll get it straightened out I'm sure....just haven't located the correct pdf file manual yet.

We're setting here under a tornado watch(again!) until 1:00 AM.... I've been in one tornado and too close for comfort to another and seen way too many in the area.... These things literally SUCK..... I like Hurricanes better---You know where they are and when they will get there....If you're too stupid to get out of the way of them it's your own fault---Tornados are a different bird...they just form in front of you zip down and take all your stuff..chew it to pieces and usually take it someplace else like OZ! I don't hear a lot of wind right now so I guess the front is slipping past,but it was pretty windy and stormy when I started typing this.(I need to drive 11 miles to check out the shop and see if it's still intact or if it moved to Arkansas or across the street from it's previous location...and left my tools setting in the rain)

Last edited by mudbug; 03-25-2009 at 09:42 PM.