Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 10-27-2005, 09:57 PM

Yes, I would get a CK 17 flex head or a watercooled CK 20 flex head. The best thing about CK is the superflex cables. You would be amazed how flexible these are. You could also get either torch in Weldcraft.

www.weldingsupply has some great deals on wWeldcraft. I am not sure if they have CK or not.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Steeltoed Tank Send a message via MSN to Steeltoed Tank Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltoed Tank

I've MIG'd but never TIG welded before, but after reading all 42 pages of this from begining to end, I think I could lay down a pretty good bead, haha.
What a read, textbooks worth of hands on information, just great!

Tank
They are my life.
I must master them as I must master my life.
My tools, without me, are useless.
Without my tools, I am useless.
I must use my tools true.
My tools and myself know that what counts in this shop is not the sparks we fire, the noise of our buzzbox, nor the smoke we make.
We know that it is a job done right that counts.
We will fab...
Old 10-28-2005, 12:43 AM

Well Folks...

I have read ALL the posts tonight, downloaded all the manuals, Visited the electrode sites etc.. You may ask why? Well tonight I bought my first TIG a Miller Syncrowave 180 SD. So yup I'll be a newbie like most others. It'll take me a bit to get it wired up and lay in a supply of consumables. I bought it slightly used (2 YO) machine, so no books. I will download a PDF manual from Miller site later today..forgot to record the serial number while I was at the shop Drat....

Anyway, a great collection of threads and sharing of experiences.

Alan
Old 10-28-2005, 04:25 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Well, I didn't mean to "resurrect" such an old thread.....but I didn't think I should start a new thread for a simple question......
Marko, I for one most appreciate that you did just that. This particular thread is/was the main reason that I bought a tig machine myself. Had seen em used and had run a few beads myself with the help co-workers much skilled in it's use. That was then and now is a whole different era and a different job. This thread helped to save me from several hours of wasted effort and less than useful learning. I do believe that is exactly what this site is for.

So, has the skill level improved for ya?

BTW, excellant thread.

LW

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 10-28-2005, 06:11 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwhiway
Marko, I for one most appreciate that you did just that. This particular thread is/was the main reason that I bought a tig machine myself..........This thread helped to save me from several hours of wasted effort and less than useful learning. I do believe that is exactly what this site is for.

So, has the skill level improved for ya?..........
LW
*LOL*.....I can't believe guys are STILL reading this rant !

Amazingly enough.....I have really progressed (more than I thought I EVER would), at this Heliarc trick !........."IT'S GREAT" ! ! !

.....and Quad.......It was a "toss-of-the-coin" between the Miller 180 and the Lincoln 185.........

When I deceided to get into this Heliarc mess, I went down to the welding store and asked for an Econotig®.......They looked at me like I called they're mother a whore ! They "pointed" me in the direction of the SD180 OR the PT185.....(they didn't care which one I chose because they sell both).

I'm not "brand-loyal", and since I already owned Miller, Hobart and Victor equipment.....I thought: "might as well try a Lincoln too" !

I'M VERY PLEASED WITH IT ! ! !