Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 07-02-2019, 11:21 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumly2071 View Post
Steve uses his a lot, but also check out Abom79. He uses his shaper a ton, and has a lot of videos on it, tooling/cutter grinding, and various additions he has made.

Sent from my SM-G920V using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
One thing I am doing ...

I started to use my Cincinnati mill for adding power to my 15HP 3 phase RFC .
It has three electric motors in it.. 5 hp spindle motor. 2 hp Knee/pump, coolant pump too. The 2 hp knee is always under a load, so I took that out of the circuit to run only the unloaded spindle motor. Now I have a 20 HP RPC if needed. The 15 HP runs my 3 phase Cutmaster 60i plasma cutter great.. Better then the single phase versions. Really have a solid 30 amp 240 volt system now,(Resistive load) although the 15 hp motor is fantastic in it's own right. Seems to punch above the specs as it is.. The load when pulling full output is only 2 more amps on each single phase leg with the Mill motor added. 10 more at idle.. 15 hp is 6 amps draw at idle,,Voltages are real good across the board. Sweet to run brand new inverters on that power,and have it work like real 3 phase power in your shop.. The 60i 3 phase is really a powerhouse, and the $397.00 for machine only was a great amazon deal. 4 year warranty too..
Old 07-03-2019, 01:15 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
One thing I am doing ...

Scott, I remember reading that you could combine your 3phase machines this way but yours is the first "user testimonial" that I've encountered. It's of no real consequence to me since I have only the 5 hp compressor, the 5 hp hydraulic press and a 1.5 hp drill press in the shop and never need to run more than one of them at a time.
But it is good to have it confirmed.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 07-03-2019, 06:02 AM
Elite Member

Default Cincinnati 20" Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
One thing I am doing ...

It has three electric motors in it.. 5 hp spindle motor. 2 hp Knee/pump, coolant pump too. The 2 hp knee is always under a load, so I took that out of the circuit to run only the unloaded spindle motor. Now I have a 20 HP RPC if needed. The 15 HP runs my 3 phase Cutmaster 60i plasma cutter great.. Better then the single phase versions. Really have a solid 30 amp 240 volt system now,(Resistive load) although the 15 hp motor is fantastic in it's own right. Seems to punch above the specs as it is.. The load when pulling full output is only 2 more amps on each single phase leg with the Mill motor added. 10 more at idle.. 15 hp is 6 amps draw at idle,,Voltages are real good across the board. Sweet to run brand new inverters on that power,and have it work like real 3 phase power in your shop.. The 60i 3 phase is really a powerhouse, and the $397.00 for machine only was a great amazon deal. 4 year warranty too..

Interesting. I am making a RPC very soon to run the Speedibend brake I bought and sold last fall. I get the the use of it anytime, and just got it running last week using a bought Starter box, but it like to stall out and then the starter box like to kick in and assist again when the ram is bottomed out.

Owner wants to make a RPC, so that is on my project list now.

Be better for the mills and lathe in the shop anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden

Last edited by toprecycler; 07-03-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:48 AM
Elite Member

I am thinking of picking up a 5hp/7.5/0r 10 hp additional electric motor to wire in as needed.. You could add run caps on the second motor if the voltages get a bit out of line.. The mill was just mostly a test setup. It does what I thought it would, and adds more 3 phase power output. I probably will not go any larger in pony motor size, because of my 100 amp single phase feed. That would be enough power in my little shop to have zero issues with a pretty good old school compressor. Although the 20 year old Curtis 5hp has been enough for what I do..

I have ran my Thermal-arc LM-200(1/3 phase) at 330 amps/28 volts output using my RPC 15 hp setup. It worked just as well as my new 60i plasma did..Just a test to see where I was at on running different 3 phase machines..

The one thing about this setup over a VFD, is you can use the power for welding machines. Dead simple setup too..Some people are always bringing up the advantages of a VFD,but the old school RPC has a few up it's sleeve too. Yes, I know about Phase Perfect power,but I am talking getting it done without draining your bank account. There is something very satisfying in old tech that is dead simple. Kind of like owning/using a Cincinnati..

Last edited by Scott V; 07-03-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:14 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Owner wants to make a RPC, so that is on my project list now.
Building my little rotary converter was one of the most satisfying projects I even did. It just opened up whole new range of possibilities. Once you can run 3 phase equipment you become aware of a whole new world of idle machines sitting out there waiting to be had for bargain prices just because most people are closed-minded about 3 phase. It's amazing.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 07-08-2019, 06:00 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
Building my little rotary converter was one of the most satisfying projects I even did. It just opened up whole new range of possibilities. Once you can run 3 phase equipment you become aware of a whole new world of idle machines sitting out there waiting to be had for bargain prices just because most people are closed-minded about 3 phase. It's amazing.
Rod,
adding a bit more capacity is rewarding too.. The mill is very quiet with the 2 hp table feed/pump motor switched out. It is also pretty easy to retro/add the 5 hp spindle motor with the addition of a $10.00 three phase switch. It's to turn on, and off the Pump. You could also use the other switch position to add run caps if needed. The mill has everything wired in like a mag starter. circuit protection, and other things. Much easier then just adding a 5 hp stand alone motor..All the work has been done, so a cheap way to go..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0001.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	151429   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0002.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	151430   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0003.JPG
Views:	32