Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 07-30-2017, 11:21 AM

The last Powcon I used had multiple settings. IE CV/CC and a bunch of other switchable choices, make sure CV is selected, try changing your polarity (you need opposite for gas shield vs core shield, also make sure it isn't set for A/C (for aluminum)
Old 07-30-2017, 12:31 PM
Elite Member

Its an smp550 for the power supply, I fiddled with all the settings except for the pulser, i had that off. I believe the feeder is a pd10. Power drive 10. I'll get some pics up once I get back and tinker with it.

I have all the manuals downloaded already, thanks though.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:12 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
Its been a LONG time since I've migged anything. A buddy busted his kids go cart and needed me to weld it back together. I had trouble with the wire not creating a stable arc, it just kept sticking out then burning back. I tried turning the gas up and down, no change. The only thing that seemed to help was increasing amps, but then I'd burn through.

It was .30 or .35, too big of wire?

I'd have stick-ed it, but only had 1/8th rods and I figured it was too big. Can't say I weld much thin ANYTHING, just thick stuff. I got rid of my 110v welder years ago.
Page 24 of your manual states what your parameters should be for
short arc MIG welding. Which is what you should be doing for thin
materials. Your machine is meant for 0.035" wire or 0.045" So if
you are using 0.030" you will likely have issues.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 07-30-2017, 03:41 PM
Elite Member

Turns out its a power drive 2 not 10. Yes .030 and now that I've looked, it has some rust spots on the spool. Guess ill have to grab another 110 little mig.

Thanks gang!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170730_163819.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	140275  
Old 07-30-2017, 03:51 PM
Elite Member

Looks like yours is bigger than mine (actually my FIL's, which is stored in my barn so possession is 9/10 of the law)Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3414.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	140276

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 07-30-2017, 06:59 PM
Elite Member

Yeah, most powcons are the size you have up to 400amp. I would really like a 400smp just for the size reduction. I can't complain about this one for the price though. Its nice to have plenty of power.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:14 AM
Elite Member

So it seems I have a tweco number 3 gun and a tweco number 4 gun. Both are about 15ft. The number 4 worked better than the number 3 so I'm thinking about replacing the liner and getting some tips(I have some .45 wire I want to use). Is there anything special I need to know about swapping out the liner? I may do both guns as they came to me used, can I get a 30ft liner and cut it in half?
Old 07-31-2017, 02:04 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
...can I get a 30ft liner and cut it in half?
No. You need the little brass ferrule on the welder end of the liner. Liners are cheap--buy two.

To replace the liner remove the gun from the welder and slide out the old liner. Remove the nozzle, tip and diffuser at the working end of the gun and then insert the new liner. The next step; getting the liner trimmed to the right length; is important.

Re-attach the gun to the welder. This will ensure that the brass ferrule on the end of the liner can't push out of the gun. Now wrap the whole assembly into a fairly tight coil to stretch it a bit and, while holding the diffuser up against the end where it screws into the cable, guesstimate where the end of the liner needs to be cut so it will fit up against the inside of the diffuser--you want the end of the liner to fit snugly against the inside face of the diffuser when the gun is assembled.

Cut the end of the liner with a zip cutter and carefully deburr the end; you don't want anything there that will impede the movement of the wire. When you thread the diffuser into the end of the cable you should feel a little resistance as it bottoms out in the thread. If there's a lot of resistance you may need to pop the diffuser off and trim the liner back a bit...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?