Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 10-28-2006, 08:02 PM

in the welding class i am taking my instructor got onto me for using my free hand to hold the rod when i am starting a new stringer bead. but i still do it when he ain't lookin.... i make a lot better starts when i do. guess it goes with old age.... hands are not what they used to be. but hey i double hand my mig and it looks better, so why can't i do the same with stick ? i guess i will until the day it shocks me.... LOL
Campbell Hausfeld 115 Mig
Victor Journeyman
Old 11-22-2006, 12:45 AM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to rocketeir Send a message via Yahoo to rocketeir

wow i must be crazy but i never use two hands when welding stick. the one time i did it got hot realy quick.. i guess its a good idea in theroy though.
O/A Victor setup
Dewalt power tools
Craftsman/Snapon hand tools
Old 12-24-2006, 03:06 PM

I live and work on one of the biggest private lakes in the country and they have thousands of boat docks and there are several dock mfgs and even more dock repair companies.
I know guys that swim out and hold on to wood on their left hand and weld with their right!! (DC) I tell them I'm a puss and would never do that and they just look at me and laugh.
I also know of an old timer welding on his dock with an AC buzzbox that got shocked to death. I sorta wander nowdays tho if he didn't have an extension cord rigged to kill instead??? When I die I'll have to ask around.
BTW I started reading this thread and thot it might be a good one to revive..esp for those learning to stick weld.
Miller 280 Dynasty with expansion card
Miller Dynasty 200DX Blue Lightning
Miller Bobcat 225NT WC-115-A / 30-A Spoolgun
Vulcan MigMax 215

enuff power and hand tools and crap to make or fix ONE of anything but not enuff to mass produce anything
Old 03-04-2007, 01:10 PM

Hey, better late than never my wife always says...Anyway, my understanding is that it takes about 1/10 the AC voltage to kill you as DC, I guess that is why they use AC for 'Old Sparky' here at the Jail. I have welded in a down pour and leaned onto the concrete wall the inbedments were in to get a good wallop, just to change the rod, I had to disconnect the stinger, put a rod in, then reconnect stinger via the Tweco connector, man, am I glad I had installed that 10 foot 4 guage whip. Finally I was so wet, I asked to borrow one of the precast concrete guys rubber gloves, ended all shocking, wish I had done so earlier. Bottom line, carry thick rubber gloves to wear under your leather ones when it get wet....Hopes this helps someone on this good thread....'Sparky' Doc Brown Paul, if you saw my hair, you would know why I am known as 'Doc Brown'
Old 03-04-2007, 02:44 PM

I suspect more welders have been killed by irate husbands than electric shock. LOL

Larry