Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 04-27-2018, 01:13 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Default Vice Jaws question

ok so I am attempting to make some vise jaws
which will be fairly easy to do being just basic jaws.....Question is do they need to be hardened and if so should they be pre made drilled and tapped prior or should it be hardened then drilled an tapped.....
this vise is really not an important vise as it will mostly be used as a drill press vise and later Ill make specialty jaws as i go and have need for.
but I also figure ill make a set of aluminum and some other hard but soft vise jaws...

for this set it's just being made out of bar stock
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180427_002753.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	144725Click image for larger version

Name:	20180427_002808.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	144726

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 04-27-2018, 01:59 AM
Curmudgeon

For that kind of use I think it's much more important that the jaw inserts be parallel than hardened.
Just use some mild steel & see how you get along. If they get nicked up then you won't have really lost anything.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 04-27-2018, 05:34 AM

I'm thinking anything of that nature, once hardened, has to be ground.

I believe you'll get a bit of distortion when hardening, leaving your nice machined surface untrue.

If using some form of mild steel, go ahead and machine it, and install it. If you need "hardened jaws", you can use hardened parallels against the jaw face to resist deformation when clamping down hard on stuff.

The parallels can also be used for tramming the fixed jaw if the soft jaw is too buggered up to run an indicator along its face.

http://www.farmersamm.com/

Last edited by Farmersamm; 04-27-2018 at 05:35 AM. Reason: spelling, SO SUE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2018, 05:38 AM

I use the word "buggered" for those who fancy themselves of high born English descent

For those of us down here in the muck, I believe "boogered" is adequate..........gets the point across just as well

Old 04-27-2018, 05:41 AM

The word "buggered" is probably a good example of high born English society. Especially when referring to their habit of "buggery" when attending their all male public schools.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:43 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Thanks

I could surface grind them but being the vise is what i consider beat up and road hard an put up wet its only good enough for the drill press this is a 5'' vise but still heavy but not as much weight as my 6'' vises

I do have other hardened Vise jaws for my 6" vises but would require fitment to the 5" vise prolly not a good idea...

Old 04-27-2018, 07:35 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
ok so I am attempting to make some vise jaws
which will be fairly easy to do being just basic jaws.....Question is do they need to be hardened and if so should they be pre made drilled and tapped prior or should it be hardened then drilled an tapped.....
this vise is really not an important vise as it will mostly be used as a drill press vise and later Ill make specialty jaws as i go and have need for.
but I also figure ill make a set of aluminum and some other hard but soft vise jaws...

for this set it's just being made out of bar stock
Attachment 144725Attachment 144726
For most of us, the only practical machining option after hardening is grinding.

I would make a set of hardened jaws, it may do wonders for your confidence, like when you drilled your first hole in plate steel or made your first good weld.

I have used 01 tool steel with good results in the past. I simply heated to a dull orange and dipped in oil, makes lots of smoke. I don't recall what the tempering process was.

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Aren't energy consumption and computers supposed to make life less stressful?

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:41 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
For most of us, the only practical machining option after hardening is grinding.

I would make a set of hardened jaws, it may do wonders for your confidence, like when you drilled your first hole in plate steel or made your first good weld.

I have used 01 tool steel with good results in the past. I simply heated to a dull orange and dipped in oil, makes lots of smoke. I don't recall what the tempering process was.
My experience in doing this is as follows.
do not assume that the vise is parallel with the jaws removed. Very few are.
I would not even waste the time if the jaw has lots of motion sideways as you are creating an arc when it flops around.
So to fix this, I tightened the jaw with the plates removed and a piece of steel set in low down so the jaw plate surfaces were clear and spaced apart about 3/4". Then I put the vice on the mill and indicated off the fixed jaw. and checked the moving jaw, and basically struck a middle point and then milled these surfaces to parallel.

I used a bit of scrap T1 3/8" steel plate and milled a set of jaws. After squaring up the edges, I dipped the head and used a end mill to cut a crosshatch on the surfaces.
T1 is best done by a carbide mill and I had a issue to make the countersunk tapered bolt holes as my taper cutter is HSS. In retrospect I would do a straight countersink with an end mill and use an allen head bolt.

T1 work hardens and is very tough stuff. Forget about and hardening and tempering.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 04-27-2018, 10:39 AM
Lubrication Consultant

The square bar stock it all i have available to me at this time and is what ill be using I picked it us as scrap random price at 35 cents a pound....
so I don't know what grade it is but assuming it's just cold roll bar stock.

Again this vise I don't think is critical.... It's use is just general use only for one of the drill press being used and is for just general hole drilling

After looking the vise over good.... this vise will never be true in my opinion as it was abused badly and used in a shaper the rear jaw/fixed jaw is set with two alignment pins and a screw to hold it and is in no way capable of being even close to perfect.
so I am now guessing just a plain old cold roll setoff jaw's with no special treatment would be needed at best.

you can see it on top of the vise in the pic...
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180427_002753.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	144731Click image for larger version

Name:	20180427_002808.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	144732

Old 04-27-2018, 09:22 AM
I can dig it

Either use cold rolled in a stock size, or if it needs to be milled to size, use a hot rolled steel.

Milling cold rolled can release the stresses from forming and cause it to warp and twist. Hot rolled doesn’t suffer from the same issues.

If you want something that is a better finish, grab some ground O1 or A2 stock, and use it soft.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app