Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 11-13-2012, 02:33 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

Default Seeded a little work

I have been out of the loop for a long time, things dont seem to work for me when forced anyway. A couple projects comng to my backyard I didnt really have a clue about till the other day. I didnt go head on but planted a seed that said I could be coaxed out of my semi retirement status,,, ha

I figured out anotherdirection to feed this from too while sitting here. The timing would be good, 3-4, maybe half a dozen men all winter, mostly inside.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Auction Addict

So what's the job? Don' keep us in suspense.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Groucho Marx
Old 11-13-2012, 05:47 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

I am not shooting my mouth off yet but in general 3 different jobs are there. 3 different companies. 2 from out of town, one local a reman project for some simple equipment, blast and paint production operation.. They are building new for it, looked to be about 50K sq ft or so. Another looks to be a scrap yard, all new, mostly under cover I hear, scales, trucks the whole deal. A third a re-use project for some kind of storage from established outfit a couple hrs away, the building is fairly sound, needs a little renovation, I know they got it cheap, the previous owners wanted out from under it in the worst way. I know these guys too, couple be competitive in some respect due to proximity.

I don't know the salvage bunch and actually turned down a job or 2 with the others over the years, one I wanted no part of just because it was,,,, well,,,,, had some dynamics going in, I knew I couldn't make it a winner no matter what, 2 little too late etc.

I am not sure what consulting the owners of middle job got. I am going to find out who planned this scheme etc. Not sure if its an owners wish list from previous experience or they got legit engineer/consulting.

As I mentioned earlier, been living in my own little world, all these came up, here and now. There was a time, 15 or 20 yrs ago I was out and about, would have been in the click and in the middle somewhere but I mind my own business, to tell the truth hate to leave my property, ha. It seems someone mention a couple of things but I must have been asleep at the wheel or involved in my own problems. One of the jobs looks like maybe could have sat in a trailer for couple months giving orders via cell phone while looking out the window. I got the power to change my world, it don't pay very well but after a couple weeks tops would get tired of outside this time of year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cary steel.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	97728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Carysteel.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	97729   Click image for larger version

Name:	spud choke.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	97730   Click image for larger version

Name:	corner col.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	97731  

Last edited by Sberry; 11-13-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Elite Member

Project Manager. Yes.
Site Forman. Maybe.
At the top of a ladder in a Jan snow storm. No stinking way.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:07 PM
Lord of the Minions

I thought it was blowing white sand from the beach.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
I thought it was blowing white sand from the beach.
That wouldn't be as slippery as a light dusting of snow on newly
laid sheet steel roofing....

Only good time is in february when there's about 6' high drifts and whatnot
at the ends, if you slide off, they cushion you (you hope)

Heck, I've "found" the sheet pile under a blanket of fresh snow by accidentally
stepping on it, and having it immediatly rise up and smack my face....or it was I fell
down on it.

Last edited by digger doug; 11-14-2012 at 03:36 PM.