Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 02-18-2019, 10:35 PM
Post Fiend

More info is needed here... Does he advertise as a welder? Can you describe his welding equipment and setup? Was he doing you a "favor?

To answer my own questions, if he is advertising as a "welder" he needs to be put out of business. It appears you made his job very easy with the CNC holes and such and it sounds like you expected a good job which you did not get... Even a "novice" welder with subpar intelligence would have determined he did not have the experience necessary to do the job for you and would have stopped after the first burn-through. Those ARE burn throughs, are they not?

If he had a decent welder and not some older "blue" HF or Chinee POS and used the correct filler metal, you had every expectation to have a good job done because the equipment could have done it. You can buy a new Vulcan for $680 before coupon and another $100-$150 for a tank of Argon and some filler metal and you could be ready to do it yourself and there are plenty of brilliant minds here that could guide you.

Was this a "side" job for him? Or his only source of income? Was he a friend of yours? I can't fault you for giving him the opportunity but your first mistake was paying him for the work. If he is a brokedick the money is already spent and sadly I don't see a refund coming. OR reimbursement for your fittings, one of which looks like the lip is damaged.

Were there not any other established shops you could have used? Was this a "best price" decision? $200 sounds fair for a GOOD job at a REAL job shop, maybe $300 tops.

Not trying to put you down or anything because we've ALL paid for a job we shouldn't have. Maybe bring it to a REAL welding shop and see if they can "fix" it to a certain extent. They may want to grind away the unknown filler and start from scratch. Maybe the fittings can be saved. Probably have to weld a patch over the burn-throughs to do it right...

BTW, Welcome Aboard!

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 02-18-2019, 11:14 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
...$200 sounds fair for a GOOD job at a REAL job shop, maybe $300 tops...
From what the OP said in his first post he paid about 200 bucks for the fittings a and 260 for the welding. Fittings are what they are but $260 for sanitary welding that is probably a little light. I see five, maybe six fittings of varying sizes. When you're back-purging you've got to have all the fittings and clamps to seal off each opening plus you're burning through argon at double the usual rate. Sanitary is a specialty field so the rate is going to be higher as well. If there actually were 5-6 fittings and with everything else involved I wouldn't have any qualms about charging $500-$600 for a job like that...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 02-19-2019, 07:39 AM
Urban Gunfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
Ya he welded on dairy stuff. If he was good he would still be doing it.

I think the dairy stuff he talked of may have been what the cows left on the floor of the milking parlor...

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 02-19-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
More info is needed here... Does he advertise as a welder? Can you describe his welding equipment and setup? Was he doing you a "favor?

To answer my own questions, if he is advertising as a "welder" he needs to be put out of business. It appears you made his job very easy with the CNC holes and such and it sounds like you expected a good job which you did not get... Even a "novice" welder with subpar intelligence would have determined he did not have the experience necessary to do the job for you and would have stopped after the first burn-through. Those ARE burn throughs, are they not?

If he had a decent welder and not some older "blue" HF or Chinee POS and used the correct filler metal, you had every expectation to have a good job done because the equipment could have done it. You can buy a new Vulcan for $680 before coupon and another $100-$150 for a tank of Argon and some filler metal and you could be ready to do it yourself and there are plenty of brilliant minds here that could guide you.

Was this a "side" job for him? Or his only source of income? Was he a friend of yours? I can't fault you for giving him the opportunity but your first mistake was paying him for the work. If he is a brokedick the money is already spent and sadly I don't see a refund coming. OR reimbursement for your fittings, one of which looks like the lip is damaged.

Were there not any other established shops you could have used? Was this a "best price" decision? $200 sounds fair for a GOOD job at a REAL job shop, maybe $300 tops.

Not trying to put you down or anything because we've ALL paid for a job we shouldn't have. Maybe bring it to a REAL welding shop and see if they can "fix" it to a certain extent. They may want to grind away the unknown filler and start from scratch. Maybe the fittings can be saved. Probably have to weld a patch over the burn-throughs to do it right...

BTW, Welcome Aboard!
This was on the side. He is retired from welding. He was clear and concise prior in accordance with my research. He claims to have back purged. I don't understand why he pushed the fittings 1/2 way into the keg. It also has a very uneven drip through on the backside of the welds. Very much looks like burn through and distortion. There is no way for me to feel comfortable that I could get all the nasties that can live in those pits. I feel ashamed to say I paid $300. Not $200. Part was for the castors and legs. There is already spots of rust on the welds and fittings?? He must have scortched em and ran the chromium away screaming. Any of you nice fellows in the St Louis area?
Old 02-19-2019, 09:21 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

once you get your beer glasses on it will look good.
does it leak?
if no leaks,run it.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:23 AM
Standard of Excellence

Salvageable for sanitary? No, it is junk in that regard.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:41 PM
Curmudgeon

Sarky, your two threads are now merged.
Hint: please don't do that. It always results in someone notifying me, it creates a little extra work for me and I'm getting old and kinda grouchy.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 02-19-2019, 05:41 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randydupree View Post
once you get your beer glasses on it will look good.
does it leak?
if no leaks,run it.
OK,i'm wrong,never thought about the food grade part of it.
carry on!
Old 02-21-2019, 01:16 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarky13 View Post
There is already spots of rust on the welds and fittings?? He must have scortched em and ran the chromium away screaming.
If you can look inside with a mirror, or endoscope, and the beads are gray, then the back-purge was not adequate. If he cooked the outside, you can bet the inside is the same.

You need a full refund to compensate you for all of your costs... keg, parts, and labor. You, definitely, should not have to pay for his practice session. I'll bet a small claims judge will agree. Let us know when we can see you on Judge Judy. :-)

Last edited by Gadgeteer; 02-21-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgeteer View Post
If you can look inside with a mirror, or endoscope, and the beads are gray, then the back-purge was not adequate. If he cooked the outside, you can bet the inside is the same.

You need a full refund to compensate you for all of yours costs... keg, parts, and labor. You, definitely, should not have to pay for his practice session. I'll bet a small claims judge will agree. Let us know when we can see you on Judge Judy. :-)
some of the pics I attached are from the inside. The burn through is very apparent. the welds on top look like they leaked filler or the base metal around the fittings like a candle dripping. Even ground out and re-weld, I'm not sure the Stainless aspect of the tank would be salvageable.

Tags
stainless steel, tig welding