Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 07-24-2020, 11:10 AM
Elite Member

Default Another Jeep J20 Build

I thought starting a thread will help keep me on track as I have a tendency to change my mind. I don’t need another truck at this time but I may need one in the near future. We all should know how expensive anything can be if you need it now so I plan to build one I can live with in my nonexistent spare time.

Unlike the J20 I am currently driving, the plan for this one is to use many of the best parts I have and proven rust prevention methods. The previous J20 was built as a prototype with parts that most would have tossed in the scrap and is showing serious rust issues.

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:24 AM
Elite Member

This is my staging area right in front of my shop. I have placed three sets of axles. My experiences with old truck axles is it takes more than one to build a good one.

I happened upon a reasonably good hood so I am using it to cover the axles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4C01729C-694B-4D99-93B0-6E635378387A.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	157073  

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 07-29-2020, 12:37 AM
Elite Member

Default Another Jeep J20 Build

Pulling a transmission from behind a Willys Station Wagon. I removed it from a 1974 J20 and has been parked there under cover for two decades.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D0F235DC-3DCB-466F-8884-46A4C37A5671.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	157079  

Last edited by toprecycler; 07-29-2020 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:29 AM
Sultan of Scrounge

I like the old J series trucks. This should be interesting.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:54 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmike View Post
I like the old J series trucks. This should be interesting.
I like them too. Let’s hope that is enough to keep me on track as I have a tendency to reprioritize my agenda.

I got my first one in 1982, a 1974 J10. I bought from the original owner with 14,000 miles, I still have it. I have had at least one running Full Size Jeep since then. I lost count of the non running ones somewhere around 25.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:14 AM
Elite Member

The J20 uses Dana axles, a model 60 at the rear and a 44HD front. I presume the HD means heavy duty as it has 8 lug hubs as opposed to 6 on the 44. The 44HD also has thicker wall tubing than the 44.

The only difference between the J10 and J20 are the axles, springs, spring shackles, rear drive shaft and emblems. These parts can be swapped to and from either truck without modification. The J20 was not offered with a 6 cylinder engine for civilian use.

Old 07-30-2020, 10:00 AM
Elite Member

I should back up a bit and give an overview of the build plan.

With the exception of a few minor changes the truck will be all original. I plan at this time to use a four speed transmission. I am considering an automatic but it is less likely I will use one. The four speed is a Borg Warner T-18 with a 6.3:1 creeper gear. If I do use an auto trans it will be a TH400. Jeep used a TH400 automatic in all the Jeeps starting in the 1960’s to 1979.

The transfer case is a Dana model 20. The model 20 was used in all Full Size Jeeps with part-time 4 wheel drive until 1979.

The engine is an AMC 360. This will be my first AMC V-8 build.

The major styling change on the Jeep Trucks throughout the 24 years of production occurred on the front bumper and grille. Two different bumpers and if memory serves me, four different grills were used. I plan to use the threepiece bumper from which I derived my screen name and what is known as the “Razor” grille.

I want to add some type of protector to the front to mitigate damage from a collisions with deer.

Old 07-30-2020, 10:46 AM
Elite Member

A 360 V8 engine, BW T18 transmission and a Dana 20 transfer case. This all came from a 1978 J10. It was a retired farm truck that later served as a mud toy. It actually ran when I bought it about 25 years ago.

Notice the PTO port on the left side of the Jeep T-18 transmission. This is opposite side of the Ford version of this transmission.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FB641D69-AEBC-4C86-B065-7DA8A6F881FF.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	157114  

Old 07-30-2020, 12:18 PM
The Real Deal

pppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	157115   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	157116  
Old 07-30-2020, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
pppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

Thanks for flipping the pics. I cannot use my iphone for that any more. And I only turn on my computer like once a month if I am lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden