Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 05-29-2019, 10:06 PM
The Real Deal

Default Ford tractor

Very cool site, look at all his builds
Old 05-29-2019, 10:54 PM
Auction Addict

Appears to me he is happier in retirement than he was working.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Groucho Marx
Old 05-30-2019, 01:14 AM
Armchair Webbie

I always like the 8N. When I was a little kid, there was a guy in the area with one. He would make some extra cash in the evenings by plowing up people's gardens. Kind of like using an elephant gun to kill a flea. My Dad hired him once and so did the neighbor. 5 to 10 bucks for 5 minutes work ain't bad. Especially, in the 60's. It would have cost my Dad at least that much to rent a tiller and his health really, wasn't good enough to run one.

Dave
Old 05-30-2019, 09:21 AM

Very neat story, my Dad bought a new 8N the same year I was born, he had calcium in the rear tires and put an industrial scoop on the front of the tractor. He used it in his dirt construction business in the early 50's. The old tractor sits pretty neglected any more but a few years back my father-in-law was looking at selling a lot of his stuff and he mentioned to my wife that he should sell his old 9N ford tractor as it hadn't been used in several years.

She told me about it and it wasn't long until I struck a deal with him and I borrowed a trailer and hauled it home. After a few weeks I had the engine up and going and changed it over from 6 volts to a 12 volt system. It took a while to get the engine freed up, and I also replace the head gasket on it.

I had the tractor repainted and I also upgraded the coil system on the tractor as it has a front type distributor mounted on the front of the engine and I kept having week spark issues so I gutted out the old box style coil and installed a cylinder style coil. Old tractor fires right up now, I use it quite a bit in the summer months as I made a 3 point boom that I use quite a bit for lifting large tree limbs, stumps, etc. I also use the tractor for moving my trailers around the yard as I installed a 2" ball on the front guard of the tractor and it makes it very handy for pushing a trailer into anywhere the first time without having to do any backing.

I find most parts for the old tractor to still be obtainable through Steiner tractor and there is a lot of helpful information on the web as far as improvements, or things made to add onto these old tractors.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:09 PM
I can dig it

Interesting.

A lot of parts for the N series are still available through Ford (well, New Holland now) as well.

Spent most of my summers as a teen working on Ford tractors, N series, NAA/Jubilee, 6xx/8xx series, and into the 2-5000 series.

Working with a cousin we could strip an 8N down, swap the engine for a rebuilt, and have it running before lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 05-30-2019, 11:34 PM

I've been hooked on the little Fords since high school. Rebuilt a 2N way back then. Really simple machines, they came with a 10 piece tool kit which was all you needed for any of the maintenance on them. Currently have 3 N's in the fleet. Baumans site is pretty cool. several others Ford guys out there too. Palmer Fossum passed a while back but he had some nice old machines. John Smith is another.

Still lots of interest in the little Fords.