Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 07-27-2004, 04:46 PM
Mikey

Default New Grinder

Well, being as old and clumsy as I am, I dropped my $10 HF 4" grinder and it quit. I spent awhile taking it apart, and drinking beer and no joy. My time is worth something, right?

Anyway, I needed one quick and went to town to Home Depot. I had no idea what I'd get. The Makita's were there, but pricey. Milwalk's...same thing.

I picked up a Ryobi 4.5" kit for $40. Got it home, and was pretty dang impressed. The new style has a real handle, like the 7", a lock on switch, one each of a grinding wheel, brass wire brush, and flap disc. All in a case that really works........So, I'm happy. Not a Makita, but a step up from the HF junk, I'd say.

Question: Where DOES the 4 and half incher place in the scheme of things?
Just more amps/power, or is there a real purpose behind this size>?
Just wondering..
Old 07-27-2004, 04:50 PM
Elite Member

i really like mine......chicom

its nice to have a lil one handy for getting into tight spots and portabilty

rocky...over on hobarts site has like 4 or 5 of them on his welding cart.... all have diffrent wheels on them.........prety cool idea

dawg
Old 07-27-2004, 05:11 PM
'Ol Pilot

I have several 4 1/2" grinders - mostly HF's. I keep a cutting disc on one, a grinding disk on one, paint removal disk on another, etc. Makes it convenient. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have yet to wear a $20 HF grinder out and they even come with extra brushes. And I can have at least three for the price of my Dewalt. If you are doing any light square or round tubing, that cutoff disk on a 4 1/2" grinder can be really handy. Saves using a die grinder or dragging out the cutoff saw or bandsaw.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:19 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

Just has a little bigger wheel, some have more power. I have been using the DW402's from HD 79$ and they have the power. The only thing I dont care for about them is the spanner type nut. I like hex so any crecent style or 7/8 wrench works to change wheels. I have about 5 of them and the only other thing to watch for is the brushes, need to change them about a year of hard use, if you let them go it will cook the armature. Here is a shot of the ones under one bench, I have another half a dozen around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grinders.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	623  
Old 07-27-2004, 05:36 PM
Mikey

Really sweet! Say, does that AC oulet there on your table affect anything?
Old 07-27-2004, 05:45 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 7018

I've got about 6 of the 4 1/2 inch grinders there real handy,But u can work them to hard>It will Blow the gears.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to banzaitoyota

As a rule of thumb: I disassemble ALL my grinders ( 2 dewalts, A HF cheapy and a Homier cheaper) and regrease the heads and sand the commutator every 6 months. Makes them HAPPY HAPPY!!1
Old 07-27-2004, 06:08 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

Quote:
Say, does that AC oulet there on your table affect anything?
Sure does,,, makes it easy to find an outlet !!!!!! Ok,,, enough wise ass huh? My benches are interconnected and bonded to the building so I ran only a 2 wire circuit and used the welding bond for a ground fault return path. I also have gfci on the circuit that feeds the benches. If you have a stand alone bench its fine to connect a grounded electrical circuit to it. My situation is a little different since there is a steel imbed in the floor so I had to do some things different to insure that the electric equipment ground didnt become part of a welding ground loop. On a single bench it wouldnt be a problem though.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:11 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

The chop saw has since been moved to its own bench.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bench3.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	624