Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 10-25-2013, 04:25 AM
Below Wholesale

Default Firewood Racking

This is one of those things I have wanted to build for 5 years but never seem to have the time until my wood is already in the shed
I got sick of stacking on pallets, and specifically stacking the ends to be freestanding so they did not rest against the structure of the shed.
Built from my material of choice, pallet racking beams. Each section is 4' wide 8' long and 7.5' high. There are two end sections and one center that is the same but no upright. All sections are fairly light so I can pull them out in the spring to rake up all the bark and sawdust.

This set holds 6 cord of wood, I should make another set to sit in front of this one...next year
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rack 1.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	110488   Click image for larger version

Name:	rack2.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	110489  
Old 10-25-2013, 06:47 AM
The Real Deal

I know what you mean about not having time until the wood is already stacked, I never did find the time to build a rack. Nice job

Ted
Old 10-25-2013, 08:01 AM
Director of Security

Nice Rack!

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof

Millermatic 211
Harris oxy/act.
2 propane forges
147 lb. Peter Wright anvil
Old 10-25-2013, 08:24 AM
Post Fiend

Nice use of materials. I've started using the cages from bulk totes to store my firewood. Bit of a pain to stack until it's two foot deep bit after that it's good to go and I can move them into location with the tractor and not handle it more than necessary.

Sent from my ipotato
Old 10-25-2013, 09:16 AM
One Wonderful Lady!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian C. View Post
Nice Rack!

Can I get you a smiley with that?

Good job, Cav.

Rated M for MAGA
Old 10-25-2013, 01:16 PM
Below Wholesale

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
Nice use of materials. I've started using the cages from bulk totes to store my firewood. Bit of a pain to stack until it's two foot deep bit after that it's good to go and I can move them into location
I do that as well. I cut an opening the whole height on the spout side. Much easier to load. They are kind of springy afterwards but I have never had one come apart. You do lose the ability to stack when they are cut.
I also use them cut off at the second hoop. Great for anything you normally put on a pallet but dont want to all off. I put all my blocking and jacks in one, bring it directly to the job.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:32 PM

Nice job Cav. Those pallet racks make good wood racks, don't they. That'll make life much easier for your shed.

I made some that are a bit similar 4 or 5 years ago, also of pallet racks. Mine are not to protect the shed, I wanted them to make the wood portable. I can split the wood at a handy location then move it to the places it's needed. My house and both shops use wood heat, so it's pretty handy. I cut the wood to about 2 foot lengths and stack 2 rows deep. Each rack holds about a cord and a half depending how tall I stack. When green, it's all my old home grown forklift will pick and still have the steering axle touch the ground, but after a few months it's not a big deal.

This year I moved them to a good sunny spot and built a solar kiln over the green wood made of birch poles and visqueen. I've been waiting for the ground to freeze before I carry a couple of the racks across my lawn to avoid making ruts with the tires. I think we're about there now. Temps have only been getting in the low 30's lately with teens or low 20's at night. Next week the ground should be solid enough to carry the load.

That's the old homesteader in the photo on his 94th birthday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Homestead 2010 009 (Medium).jpg
Views:	250
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	110496   Click image for larger version

Name:	94th Birthday 003 (2) (Medium).jpg
Views:	255
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	110497  

“The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity” Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-25-2013, 01:40 PM

Looks like your shed is also made of pallet racks. That's great. I used them for roof framing on my iron rack a few years ago.

“The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity” Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Post Fiend

Fabber is that an 038?

Sent from my ipotato
Old 10-25-2013, 11:34 PM

Smoke, I believe it is an .038. It's my dad's saw and spends most of it's time in Homer where he lives, 600 miles away or I'd look.