Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 11-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Elite Member

Default stainless steel doggy doors

A buddy of mine asked me to fabricate two 1/4 stainless doggy doors after his dogs destroyed all the trim on the wooden ones he'd built himself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121109_112253.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	97614   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121109_112327.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	97615  

"It's not the size of your stick, But how you move your rod"

Miller 350P
Miller Trailblazer 325 EFI w/ Excel Power
XMT 304 Multiprocess with 22a feeder
Miller Syncrowave 350LX
Miller Econotig
Hobart Handler 140
Uni-Hydro 42-14 Ironworker
Hypertherm 65 plasma
Old 11-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Perpetuus Discipulus de Vita

The craftsmenship looks nice. I am confused as to the scope of the project perhaps. When i hear doggy doors, i think of one that can swing both ways. I dont see this working from the pictures, but I may be wrong.

David Finch Mixed Media Creations
My YouTube Channel

"Of all of our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language." - Walt Disney

"Formal education will make you a living;
Self education will make you a fortune." - Jim Rohn
Old 11-09-2012, 02:49 PM

If his dog is anything like mine it is always on the wrong side of the door! It would have to work both ways.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:38 PM
I fear I'll do some damage one fine day

Default Dog Genius

Boy is your friend's dog smart! My dumb mutt would never learn to operate that latch!

DrBob
Old 11-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Curmudgeon

I had forgotten how much time & money I've invested in pet doors over the years because my dogs kept tearing them up.
When the Johnson rubber doors with the U-shaped outer seal was all I could buy locally, it was about $100 a year with at least 6 months of the damned things not shutting properly and with my spending no telling how much time putting them back together.

All this made me realize that Wilson has not torn up the new door I installed for him when I got him.
YAY, Wilson! 18 months of keeping the door intact.
That is a personal best.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 11-09-2012, 07:03 PM

After studying this setup a little, I think I have it figured out. The latch is on the inside of the door so..........All the dog has to do is unlatch it and raise the door to go out. When he comes back to get back into the house the latch is still undone, so he can push it open with his head and then fasten the latch. The only problem I see is if the dog has opened the latch and door to go out, but has not returned to the inside of the house and............................................... .....someone notices that the latch is not latched back and thinks to themselves, "that lazy dog didn't latch the door again" and then latches it.............................when the dog runs and hits it with his head, not knowing that someone latched it back and thinks it is still unlatched like he left it----------------whoo, that even hurts my head thinking about it!!

We will keep our guns and our freedom. You can keep the "change".
Old 11-09-2012, 07:35 PM
SFT HVAC Guru

Send a message via AIM to rickairmedic Send a message via MSN to rickairmedic Send a message via Yahoo to rickairmedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
I had forgotten how much time & money I've invested in pet doors over the years because my dogs kept tearing them up.
When the Johnson rubber doors with the U-shaped outer seal was all I could buy locally, it was about $100 a year with at least 6 months of the damned things not shutting properly and with my spending no telling how much time putting them back together.

All this made me realize that Wilson has not torn up the new door I installed for him when I got him.
YAY, Wilson! 18 months of keeping the door intact.
That is a personal best.

I think the trick to doggy doors is what you put through them . I installed the doggy door on the back shop door at least 4 or 5 years ago . The only thing that goes through it are the shop Cats and the occasional Baby Opassum and whatever dead small critter the cats drag in . I have yet to have a dog go through the " doggy door " .

Cutter I always knowed Wilson was a smart boy .

Rick

Politically Correct : A term used for whiny pu**ies that need sh*t sugar coated .
Old 11-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

Thats is a great looking door, and should out live the house,

This thread reminds me of that TV commercial ( I think the add is for eye wear ?) where the lady who does not have her glasses on, and lets a raccoon in her house at the end of the night, thinking its her cat...

We used to have a doggy door, but the violent weather around here caused me to retire it. It was one of the double flexible plastic models (2 pieces of plastic swinging both ways with magnets). I had it coming into he kitchen. You'd be surprised how much rain or snow with a good driving wind can get through something like 17"x20". Dont remember the dims, but we had a malamute going through it. It was the large size.

When I knew bad weather was coming, Id close it with the provided steel slide in panel.

Worst part of the door, the damn cats used it, and would bring whatever they caught, into the house to dine on it. Stinky brought in a live rabbit and released it our bead room in the middle of the AM. In all the chaos that followed, it took my half terrier / half shepherd about a minute to round up the rabbit, for she is lighting quick catching small prey. Had to keep my bed room door closed after that one.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:51 AM
One Lone Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy_Acres View Post
Thats is a great looking door, and should out live the house,

This thread reminds me of that TV commercial ( I think the add is for eye wear ?) where the lady who does not have her glasses on, and lets a raccoon in her house at the end of the night, thinking its her cat...

Haven't seen it but I like it
Old 11-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Elite Member

Thanks for the comments guys! To clear up the confusion...these doors are doors for a little building that my friend had built. These doors are to lock them inside in the evenings and to open them up and allow them access to the dog run during the day.

"It's not the size of your stick, But how you move your rod"

Miller 350P
Miller Trailblazer 325 EFI w/ Excel Power
XMT 304 Multiprocess with 22a feeder
Miller Syncrowave 350LX
Miller Econotig
Hobart Handler 140
Uni-Hydro 42-14 Ironworker
Hypertherm 65 plasma