Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 01-10-2012, 03:19 AM
SFT Historian

Default Torque Meter. PowerBuilt, Alltrade.

I walked into an auto parts store looking for a store flyer on any specials on new years, they were out.
noticed a table with closeout items next to the cashier and seen the Torque meter, the price of $39 was abit more then I wanted to pay. I jokingly asked the cashier what kind of discounts was placed on the items and she said 10%, I gave her a funny look that's all. she said I can ask the manager for a better discount , well OK she takes it over to the manager.
I had noticed a scratch across the display and brought it to his attention he said $26 as long as I don't bring it back due to the scratch.
I said OK But if it does not work I will bring it back, agreed.

==
I have been thinking about getting a torque meter for some time and was siding with a Craftsmen, they did not make them very long.

This one is PowerBuilt which is ALLTRADE, I'm not a big fan of ALLTRADE.
It has a nice hinged plastic case, not that fold over hinge that breaks in a year.

Pix 4)
I'm impressed they used screws for the battery cap and case. one screw for the battery cap is longer then the other so pay attention where the long one goes.

==

Model #940962
Searching the web it appears that I have a newer model, cant say which is better.

Range 29.5 -147.6 ft-lb.
The preset range starts from 29.5 to 147.5 ft-lb.
When the preset mark is hit the red blinking LED changes to a constant red and an audio tone changes from beeping to a constant tone.

Five choices of conversions.
kg-cm, kg-m, in-lb., ft-lb., Nm

80 seconds then auto power off.
They should have made the time closer to 8 minutes, it takes me more then 80 seconds just to double check what I'm doing.

One CR2032 battery, battery life 55 hrs.

There is a warning, NOT to press the Mem and On buttons at the same time (together), The System will go into a Calibration mode.
Someone on the web stated you have to hold the buttons for 10 seconds before it goes into the cal mode, 10 sec. is a little better.

Here is a youtube from Alltrade.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EeQeH5YAcA

Searching the web the price range is $33.00 to $50.00

==
The down sides,

I find it a little hard to hear the tone it puts out, I must be tone deaf to its specific frequency, a friend said he can hear it fine.
I may not hear the tone in a noisy environment.

They state three color LED,
Green Yellow, Red.
I have seen the yellow randomly and not long enough to say its of any use. if it lights. other people on the web have said the yellow light does not light.

Not something you want to handle with oily greasy hands, resetting the set-point will dirty it up.
The 1/2" drive square exits the case through a round hole, the space between the square and round will allow liquid and dirt to get inside.

As for using with a ratchet, the display will rotate as you turn the wrench placing the display out of view so you will have to go by the tone as an indicator.

=============

Ever since I read that the click type (internal spring) of Torque wrenches should be calibrated once every year I wanted something to double check the cal.
I do recommend this Torque meter but mainly for checking other torque wrenches and occasional use.

5 pix.)
These are the torque wrenches that I have, none that are calibrated at any recent time.
I purchased the beam torque wrenches new and they have had a sheltered life, they should be the most accurate of what I have.

The results are
The larger beam torque wrench is right on the money with the meter.
I measured from 30 lb.-ft to 120 ft-lb.

The MAC red handle, 30 lb. - 250 ft-lb. click T wrench.
At the low end its minus 5 ft-lb.'s, at 100 ft-lb.'s its minus 2 ft-lbs.
Does any one know how to adjust the MAC T wrench, I see no screws for adjustment?

The cheap no name was reading minus 8 ft-lbs., I adjusted that and it's pretty good.

The smaller German click torque wrench is pretty much right on the money.

Note,
On the click type of torque wrenched they seem to read plus 2 ft-lb. if you very slowly creep up to the torque then click over.
you will have to check their calibration at the normal speed that you are accustomed to and average it out.
2 ft-lbs. is not enough to worry about, its just that when you see it on a readout it makes you wonder how close you need to be.

=====
Just for the heck of it.
The preset range starts from 29.5 ft-lb. to 147.5 ft-lb. and that's the stated range they want you to use.
You can not set the pre-set below 29.5 ft-lb., you can read below that just no tone or led indicator.

I checked the lower in-lb.s with my smaller beam T wrench.
The lowest reading is about 45 in-lbs. that seems to be its starting, I check up to about 400 in-lb. and the readings were all plus 4 in-lbs.

Ends up that scratch was on the protective film over the display, removing that and the display is fine.
===

This one just happened to show up, I would advise anyone to search out the web for Torque Meters you may find one with better features.
The Craftsman one had a separate display with cable that ran to the 1/2" drive sensor.
You definitely want the peak hold feature. I don't remember if the Craftsman has P-hold.
Also you want it to use a standard battery.
I just noticed Eastwood also has one, it maybe a little longer then this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Front HPIM1486 mod.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	86214   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Back HPIM1485 mod.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	86215   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 HPIM1509 mod.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	86216   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 screws HPIM1495 mod.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	86217   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 HPIM1536 mod.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	86218  

Last edited by GWIZ; 01-10-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:20 AM
Director: Apprentice Gatekeeper

Readin comprehension owns me...

At least I can blame it on the time of morning I'm up.

Wade's Custom Kydex

Last edited by dubby; 01-10-2012 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Gwiz writ everything I wrote, I just didn't read what he writ and ended up lookin like a dumbass...
Old 01-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Auction Addict

Always wanted one of those. Never checked my beam type to see if they read right. Maybe I can find a deal like you did someday.

Liberty has never come from Government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
Woodrow Wilson
Old 01-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Gold Star Dad

Is that scratch just on the protective film covering the display?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:22 AM
More STEAM!!

I need to get out more, I have never saw electronic torque meter.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
I think dubby can answer that.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 01-10-2012, 12:17 PM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
Yes, just on the film. I removed the film and the display looks like new.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Director: Apprentice Gatekeeper

Yup, it was that...and I was going to look at my Mac wrench and see how to adjust it. Then caught where he said "red handle" "click" and other descriptive terms. Mine is the torsion type and if it clicks, then I bent it too far and probably broke it

Wade's Custom Kydex
Old 01-10-2012, 05:25 PM
SFT Historian

Just a note,
Some of the click type, only work for tightening right handed fasteners, not all are made to torque (click) in both directions.

Last edited by GWIZ; 01-10-2012 at 05:44 PM.