Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 07-04-2004, 12:49 PM

here is the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04371.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	396  
Old 07-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Curmudgeon

Thanks for the link, lots of good information. I will check them out.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 07-04-2004, 03:05 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 7018

Cutter thats the kind rodburner got he said he got them at home depot.when i git my 10x10 i paided 360.00 for them from a reg.door dealer!But thats was 12 years ago!!
Old 07-06-2004, 02:10 AM

cutter: Thought about one of those kinneer doors when I built my new shop. They're a nice door but like Franz says until somebody hits it. They are noisey in the wind to. So instead I went with a outside slideing door lined with styrofoam panels and used a garage door seal kit nailed on the opening framework. Doing this I didn't have to build a header for the door, just mounted a 2x12 for the tracks. Worked real good this past winter, no leaks to speak of and the door faces north. Didn't get any Mi. snow or wind inside. revpol
Old 07-06-2004, 06:12 AM
Curmudgeon

Wind is a big issue in this part of the universe & it doesn't have to be cold for it to bite. Over the decades it has contributed generously to our topsoil with sand & dirt from New Mexico, Arizona & Colorado. Ten or 15 years ago the EPA even tried to fine the city several hundred thousand dollars for "excessive airborn particulate matter". No telling what kind of major promotion that bureaucrat joeyheaded genius was awarded for coming up with that idea but I bet the agency at least held a banquet in his honor. The city fought them in court for several years & won big time. They even came out of it with some sort of concessions that amounted to a profit above court costs & legal fees which totaled well over a million bucks. We don't have much use for the EPA around here. Or for doors that are designed to leak even when they are new. From what I have read & heard up 'til now, roll-up doors are just that - leakers, so I think I better stick with sectional overhead doors. I would like to keep the ceiling area uncluttered for lighting purposes but not at the expense of reasonable windproofing.
Revpol, I have fought with a set of rolling barn doors for years over at my rented barn & they are a hassle. Comprised of a pair of heavy 12 foot tall, 8 foot wide steel frames skinned with sheet iron, they flop and clatter in the wind, leak sand & rain & are a general nuisance. I'm sure new ones can be made to do a lot better, but I don't think I want to take on the challenge.

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Old 07-06-2004, 06:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to banzaitoyota

If you are going to use overhead doors, why not have the track mounted abouve a false ceiling? That way you can still have a clean ceiling for light mounting
Old 07-06-2004, 06:51 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by banzaitoyota
If you are going to use overhead doors, why not have the track mounted abouve a false ceiling? That way you can still have a clean ceiling for light mounting
Yep, that sounds like a conversation Shade & I had about it, only we were also concerned about room for a rolling hoist. However, this poses an interesting complication in my mind because it appears that this means mounting an 8 ft door on a ten foot track, for instance & the first couple of feet of travel will be straight up instead of around the bend. I dunno how well that's gonna work but it seems to me that you'd have to go ahead and install a 10 foot tall door over an 8 foot opening in order to keep the rollers & tracks in sync, especially if you want to use a garage door opener - which I do.

Just Keep Walking