Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 04-17-2009, 07:01 PM
More STEAM!!

I totally agree with Dave on the mill/drill. I had one and after using it for a period of time I decided I wanted a real mill.

The two mag. that Dave mentioned is a good source for projects and way to do the projects. You will learn a lot.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Boiler God

I agree with Dave and Charlie, a round column mill can be a PITA to use, but even a round column mill is better than no mill. If I found a round column mill in real good condition for $4-500, I'd probably buy it, even though I have 2 knee mills. For their size, square column mills are, are very functional and don't have the tramming/alignment issues the round column mills do, everytime you raise or lower the head.. Better yet is the Bridgeport style knee mill, if you have the space, even my Jet JVM 836 mill, which is basically a 3/4 scale Bridgeport style mill, needs per the manufacturer, a 8' wide by 5' deep, chuck of floor space. And yes, R-8 is the way to go, very cheap and readily available.

jack

Last edited by platypus20; 04-17-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:18 PM
American Tools Keep Americans Working

Quote:
One or two holes isn't so bad but if you're doing a whole layout, it gets old in a hurry.
Lots of people mention that, but my round column Enco (RF-31) has seen a ton of use in the past five years, and moving the head up or down hasn't been a problem. If the up/down move is 5" or less (length of spindle travel), just pop the Interapid into a drill chuck or hang it from an Indicol clamp, indicate to the feature you just did, and you're ready to go. More than 5" means that the Blake Co-Ax gets used instead of the Interapid, but everything else is the same.

If you're working from a print with twenty holes, and you drill all twenty holes with the head in the low position, you only have to indicate one hole with the head raised. The other nineteen holes will then be lined up. Takes about a minute to indicate with either the Interapid or the Blake.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Sultan of Scrounge

Default Mill/drill loss of registration

I own on old MSC variable speed mill drill with a 2hp motor. I got it on the cheap in great shape and have done quite a bit with it. I agree the loss of registration is a real PITA at times but you learn to work around it. If I had the money I would own a bridgeport or at least one of the new dovetail machines.

I heard long ago that in in many endeavors "its the indian and not the arrow" That rings true when you look at the radial aircraft engines made by Jerry Vaught in the link below. All of them were made on the 3 in 1 machine pictured at the bottom of the page. He learned to work around the built in inaccuracies of the machine he had. Amazing work is all I can say.

http://barronaviation.com/Default.aspx?tabid=130&pid=0